Observations from MSC Seaside Yacht Club

rattanchair

On 7/25/2019 at 8:57 PM, rattanchair said:

Please notice the big puddle beneath my lounge chair to attest the dowsing I received.

Your outdoor shower has made us laugh.

Also love the fact you can see the funny side to it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

Thanks for your excellent blog/review. My partner and said "bon voyage" to Celebrity 6 years ago after about 250 nights on board. With the launch of their new "Suite  Class", we sailed on Summit two months ago. While it wasn't a disaster (no one died and the ship made it back to port ....), it wasn't particularly memorable in any way, shape or form. We had to cancel our upcoming Equinox cruise and realized .... we really had ZERO inclination to return to Celebrity again.

We have many more MSC YC's booked (and another Haven (sorry - still love it!)) , an Oceania STRICTLY for the itinerary and a Regent for a "test drive" but your review confirmed that the best value in cruising today remains the MSC YC.

Now please stop talking about it as it will only continue to drive the prices up!  

Dear Dr,  Have you been talking to my DW ? That last line of yours is her line every time I log on to CC.

8 hours ago, Serial Tequila said:

Well it is a project to think about aver the next few months until I am actually there, we probably shouldn't talk about it, MSC might get ideas and try to rent them out

Dear ST,  I do not think MSC would do such a thing, but I would not put it past NCL !

14 hours ago, DiamondDiva said:

CruisingFox 27, can you supply a name/ company and where you purchased this umbrella, please?  Photo would be great as well.

TYIA

Unfortunately I've no details of exactly where purchased now as I've had it a while, I purchased on line and it is similar to the one pictured though. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garden-Patio-Umbrella-Adjustable-UV-Sun-Rain-Protecting-Clamp-Clip-On

Edited by CruisingFox27

4 hours ago, Serial Tequila said:

Good morning!

We took these said same umbrellas on Seaside.  Unfortunately, the lounge chair frames were too large for them to work.

The pool boys watched in rapt fascination as we tried to wrestle them onto the chairs and ultimately tried to help.

Ultimately, they just don't fit .....

• Like 1

A couple more observations have come to mind ( we can not get this cruise out of our minds ). It was much appreciated by a couple of germaphobes like ourselves, that certain protocols were carried, out especially in the YC restaurant. When I asked for mustard, Andrei came back with a small bowl of mustard and he proceeded to lather my Angus burger with as many spoon scoops of mustard as I wanted. I was never allowed to touch the spoon or the bowl, nor did he leave it on the table. I found this operation to be more hygienic than  a bottle or squeeze container left for all to use.  I also recall that this motion is a privilege afforded only to the 'leisure class', in Veblen's book, though he describes that the servant takes his task one step further and cuts the burger and 'spoon feeds' his patron.

I waited for the last days of the cruise to use all the bath amenities provided for fear of breaking out with a rash far out to sea (though we took out medi-vac insurance with pre-existing conditions). I used every body wash, soap, gel, and shampoo. I used the whole tube of each per shower, using them in places that I only normally use plain soap and water. I shampooed twice, even though I have so little hair left and normally do not need more than a dab, once. But what the heck ! Best part I am home and NO RASH !

• Like 3

Dear Cruise Critic fellows,  We are home but the observations keep coming.  If you all recall, we were privileged to attend the Cruise Critic meet and mingle. Though we did not mingle, except with the Captain Massa and other staff, because they approached us; we all took a picture together, staff and Cruise Critic attendees. There was no picture taken in the following Yacht Club invitational.  What is of exceptional note is that each Cruise Critic attendee was sent, at no charge, a copy of this photo, and I just looked at the back of this photo of all of us to find a personal note, hand written to each of us, signed by Captain Marco Massa,  personally thanking us for choosing Seaside for our holiday. He hopes we feel at home and wishes us a fantastic, unforgettable cruise. Regards your Captain, Marco Massa.. Along with a photostat of the itinerary. Come on CC members, we in the Yacht Club did not rate this attention!!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Welcome home! It was fun reading along as you had a fantastic week aboard seaside! Would you book the royal suite again???

Dear BB,  You are very, very gracious. I thank you for all your posts and encouragement. According to Dr. C I should keep my mouth shut, and my DW concurs with the Dr. C. But we are now booked  for 7 more Royal Suites on Seaside and 2 more Royals on Meraviglia. The balance of 3 more are booked in YC 1 cabins, because of dates, but we are checking daily to hope someone cancels their  Royal Suite so we can upgrade. We want to only book Royal Suites from now on, on MSC !  You of all posters have been the most kind. Should we ever meet aboard it would be our greatest pleasure. Thank you !

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tcmagnum said:

Great review.  Someday I hope to do YC, but for now Aurea Suite so we can travel more often. 

Dear TC,  From your  profile, you look like DW and I, 40 years ago, only my DW is a brunette. I understand. One of our first cruises was on the 'Independence', circling the Hawaii Islands. It's sister ship was the Constitution ( of "I Love Lucy" fame). We booked two lowers inside. When we got to our stateroom (cabin) there was absolutely no room for us and our luggage. Luckily for me, I carried extra cash, because DW refused to set foot in this stateroom. Went to purser and purchased the next available stateroom at full tariff price. Again," what ever Lola wants, Lola gets"., and it has been that way ever since. Godspeed!

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, rattanchair said:

Dear BB,  You are very, very gracious. I thank you for all your posts and encouragement. According to Dr. C I should keep my mouth shut, and my DW concurs with the Dr. C. But we are now booked  for 7 more Royal Suites on Seaside and 2 more Royals on Meraviglia. The balance of 3 more are booked in YC 1 cabins, because of dates, but we are checking daily to hope someone cancels their  Royal Suite so we can upgrade. We want to only book Royal Suites from now on, on MSC !  You of all posters have been the most kind. Should we ever meet aboard it would be our greatest pleasure. Thank you !

Are you sure you have the right person 🙂🙂 :). 

I am humbled by your compliment and do sincerely hope to meet you onboard one day (you can give me a tour of the Royal Suite.). With 7 more booked already I think we should rename it the RattanChair Suite :). 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Are you sure you have the right person 🙂🙂 :). 

I am humbled by your compliment and do sincerely hope to meet you onboard one day (you can give me a tour of the Royal Suite.). With 7 more booked already I think we should rename it the RattanChair Suite :). 

Dear BB, The tour will include Dom Perignon !

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rattanchair said:

The balance of 3 more are booked in YC 1 cabins, because of dates, but we are checking daily to hope someone cancels their  Royal Suite so we can upgrade. We want to only book Royal Suites from now on, on MSC ! 

I know the feeling. When we first booked Seaside back in 2016, we couldn't get the Royal Suite because it was sold out during the dates that we could go. I have 2 kids in school so matching school breaks with cruises is a challenge. When I have the school schedule, MSC is slow in releasing dates. When I have future MSC dates, the school is slow in releasing the future school schedule. 

Keep checking. I got lucky. The MSC site (back then) had a "backdoor" that I found that I could access before the future dates were officially released. I actually booked a Royal Suite for a date that hadn't been released yet. They fixed that hole a while ago but I still look around to see if I can get through. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/28/2019 at 4:59 AM, Serial Tequila said:

That is one I got a few years ago and have used on MSC.  Only problem is the length does not fit into even a large suitcase, so I hand carry it on the plane and ship.  It is sturdy, and fully adjustable to the changing position of the sun.  The clamp opens up enough to easily use with YC chaises (at least on Seaside). 

23 hours ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

Ultimately, they just don't fit .....

Odd!  I have used the Bella twice.  Once hooked on to the leg of the table between us, and also used it off the top of the chaise and the leg of the chaise on occasion.

Many thanks to rattanchair and all the other posters for so much information. We are going on our first MSC on Meraviglia in YC in the fall.  Even after 30+ cruises on other lines, one wants the info one can find here on CC to aid in planning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, JAGR said:

Odd!  I have used the Bella twice.  Once hooked on to the leg of the table between us, and also used it off the top of the chaise and the leg of the chaise on occasion.

Of course, we were able to get them into our suitcase ....

We need photos of each other's accomplishments! It's pretty obvious that we were doing something wrong .......

6 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

Of course, we were able to get them into our suitcase ....

We need photos of each other's accomplishments! It's pretty obvious that we were doing something wrong .......

Ours didn't telescope to be short, like a collapsible umbrella, so it's length folded up was still a bit over 34-35" (larger than our biggest bag, even diagonally).  Still, no problem on the plane or through MSC port security.

Don't have pictures, but the universal clamp opens up to an internal opening of 1/5".  We use towels with the angry bird clips to hole them in place, and those have a jaw opening of about 1".  The legs of the side tables are a little under 1.25" (taper toward the base) so the clamp can go there, although the umbrella doesn't adjust to extend much over half of one chaise.  You can attach to the back rib of the chaise anywhere along the length if you clip on to the narrower side.  It may not hold it as well, so it would tend to sway a bit on a sea day more than a port day.  You can also attach to the adjustable bar for the seat back adjustment.

Finally, yo can go to a hardware store and replace the bolt with a longer one to open the jaw even more.  A friend of ours who sails on a different cruise line swears by that method on the bulky chaises he encounters.