Antigua Stops Cancelled?

patrickmoran

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

What was the problem?

Carnvial attempted to boycott Antigua in an attempt to pressure them to change the winner of the port development contract, along with being in protest if changes in port fees. 

They rescinded their boycott in about a month and reinstated port calls.. 

Antigua kept the port development contract with the original winner. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My Feb 2020 Circle Caribbean cruise cancelled Antigua and replaced with St. Maarten.  I was notified of this on June 6th, not sure on the reasons (it may be completely unreleated) or when the cancellation actually took place, just when i got the email.

I have since cancelled the cruise so wasn't interested enough to spend the time trying to determine the reasons.

Edited by jpom18

I believe the big attractions for cruisers to Antigua are their beaches.  Since we aren't beach people, we either stay on the ship or have occasionally taken an excursion.  Enjoyed the last one we did which took us to the other side of the island and Nelson's Dock Yard.  In the past we have also enjoyed walking around town, but that apparently isn't a good idea these days.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, jpom18 said:

My Feb 2020 Circle Caribbean cruise cancelled Antigua and replaced with St. Maarten.  I was notified of this on June 6th, not sure on the reasons (it may be completely unreleated) or when the cancellation actually took place, just when i got the email.

I have since cancelled the cruise so wasn't interested enough to spend the time trying to determine the reasons.

That was long before the dust-up with Carnival.  Unrelated. 

May have been dock load or other logistical conflicts. May have been any number of things. 

But it definitely want related to the very short lived boycott, that was mainly reversed anyways. 

1 hour ago, BarbinMich said:

I believe the big attractions for cruisers to Antigua are their beaches.  Since we aren't beach people, we either stay on the ship or have occasionally taken an excursion.  Enjoyed the last one we did which took us to the other side of the island and Nelson's Dock Yard.  In the past we have also enjoyed walking around town, but that apparently isn't a good idea these days.

Why not? There's no travel warnings or anything in place for Antigua. It's as safe as most any Caribbean country, and safer than some others (Turks come to mind, at a Level 2 warning from US State Department)..

It is still a stop for us on a Crown cruise in Oct.

Never had an issue walking all over town there.

Last time I was there I went with a couple of crew to Jolly Beach and a local policeman took us in his private van and came and picked us up.

• Haha 1

I'm currently on Oceania Insignia and we were in Antigua today. I walked around the pier shopping area but I'm not comfortable walking further into town.  A man on the ship walked to the cathedral but it was boarded up...he said he didn't feel safe either. 

8 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

I'm currently on Oceania Insignia and we were in Antigua today. I walked around the pier shopping area but I'm not comfortable walking further into town.  A man on the ship walked to the cathedral but it was boarded up...he said he didn't feel safe either. 

We've been there many times & have walked throughout the city without any problems. I guess it's just what you feel safe with.

I imagine you don't walk around other islands either. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, MissP22 said:

We've been there many times & have walked throughout the city without any problems. I guess it's just what you feel safe with.

Mugging, shootings, rape, and murder of tourists.  Is it worth it?  Do not walk around these places alone?

And how about Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, anyone?  Why Oceania (and other cruise lines) continue to use these unsafe countries/ ports of call in the Caribbean puzzles me.

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, MissP22 said:

My husband and I were there 2 years ago, and we always venture out alone.   We started walking beyond the pier shops and only got a few blocks before we turned back.  It really did not feel safe and we weren't the only ones.  That night a number of passengers we spoke to felt the same way.  We always follow our instincts.  Better safe than sorry.  The only other place we felt that way was in La Ramona in the Dominican Republic.  This year, we'll probably just stay aboard.

• Like 2

Antigua was on our Caribbean Circle itinerary this November, but they since removed it and replaced with St. Maarten.  I'm fine with that.  More excited actually.  Antigua would've most likely just been a beach day.  Instead we're doing some fun exploratory excursions.

46 minutes ago, Baystate said:

My husband and I were there 2 years ago, and we always venture out alone.   We started walking beyond the pier shops and only got a few blocks before we turned back.  It really did not feel safe and we weren't the only ones.  That night a number of passengers we spoke to felt the same way.  We always follow our instincts.  Better safe than sorry.  The only other place we felt that way was in La Ramona in the Dominican Republic.  This year, we'll probably just stay aboard.

I guess you don't walk around much on your own in the Caribbean.  If you investigate each island you'll probably find many incidences of robberies. 

There aren't many perfectly safe places but we still go.

We like to walk just to get some exercise other than walking in circles on the ship. 

12 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Yes I do! Walked all over Castries, St. Lucia a couple days ago and today I walked all over San Juan, PR! You imagined wrong...but I have traveled enough to know that some places are not where a woman alone should go...need to use common sense!  😉

• Like 2