Where have all the Porters gone?

berlingo

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

Thank you for clarifying Major Tom.

So you can still drive to the terminal and get the porters to unload your baggage as usual, you are then directed to a nearby car park.

The only difference seems to be that they do not take your car away from the terminal?

Perhaps they were losing too much business to P4C so have decided to mimic their business plan and make their price more competitive?

Just speculation.

Andy

No I think the op was trying to explain that instead of stopping  your car and letting porters take your luggage and CPS drive your car away from the terminal a new procedure is that you are directed to an area near the terminal CPS still take your car off you and they drive it away and park it within port limits which could be 2 miles away, as they have always done,  and then you unload your own luggage onto a trolley and take it to the hole in the wall. Except for short 2 nt cruises you have never parked your own car on a car park when using CPS.

7 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Not sure what you mean about reducing the number of older passengers?!!  We are 80 and 72 and can still manage to wheel our suitcases to the drop off!!

Not sure what you mean about reducing the number of older passengers?!!  We are 80 and 72 and can still manage to wheel our suitcases to the drop off!!

You may be lucky, but when the 72 year young is 80 they may not find it easy? 🥃🍷

Hi

OP here.

Just to clarify what I understand. There appear to be two main changes from to the previous CPS procedure.

Firstly cars were directed away from the usual CPS drop off area immediately outside the Ocean Terminal. In stead they went to a new area further away but I am not sure of the exact distance.

Secondly after passengers vacated their vehicle there were no porters available at all to assist. Instead the passengers were instructed to collect a trolley and load on their luggage. CPS then collected the car keys and completed the necessary paperwork before driving the car away as normal. Passengers then had to push the trolley to the luggage drop off area at the terminal. I am not sure whether there were any porters available  to assist with unloading the trolley at this point.

As I said this appears to be a trial they are running at the moment. I posted because I was not thrilled with the changes and wondered what others thought. Personally I should not be directly affected as I hold a Disabled Parking Badge. However I do have elderly parents who would struggle if they had to manhandle their luggage without an assistance.

Also there did not appear to be any canvassing yesterday of the passengers for their opinions. Something which I would of thought was very important when introducing changes which I feel impact negatively on the customers experience.

Hope this helps.

Juliax

You are fit and well Jean but many people are not that fortunate and rely on assistance from porters etc.  At the Caribbean lunch a few years ago the  lady officer hosting the table surprisingly made a comment that the company made less money from the older passengers because many of them did not buy from the the  onboard shops and did not use the ship photographers, excursions and speciality restaurants but did go to the Peninsular club ents.  Most of us on the table took this to mean that we cost them more but did not contribute as much as the newer cruisers.  I was just extending this thought to them maybe preferring less of us older pasengers and more of the younger new passengers.

What slightly annoys me is that when i opted to reduce my OBC and take the CPS car parking it was under the old regime of driving right up to the terminal and not having to manhandle my cases. Now, i am fit and able so it is not really an issue - but it is a point of principal that once again after having booked something (or at least a service that is offered by them) the rules change!!! Some passengers may turn up completely oblivious to any possible changes and this could potentially cause unnecessary stress. Anyway, let's hope the trial doesn't work......

7 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

But surely all cases these days have wheels?  You don't have to carry them.  Obviously if you are disabled, then that is different.

I agree - my cases do have wheels - but my point is when i opted for CPS instead of on board credit  I didn't think i was going to have to lift them out of the boot etc. Plus when i did my world cruises i most certainly would not have wanted to transport my six cases to the hole in the wall myself. Just another erosion and downgrading of the "cruise experience". It won't stop me going on a cruise, but when you add all thses little things together...... I know most will probably disagree, but just my opinion.

3 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

But surely all cases these days have wheels?  You don't have to carry them.  Obviously if you are disabled, then that is different.

Firstly with respect the answer is no, not all cases do  have wheels.

Secondly I am sure you are aware that many people have some physical limitations which make handling heavy luggage difficult and/or contraindicated. These may include people with heart conditions, breathing problems, those who have had recent surgery etc. These individuals may not be classed or class themselves as “disabled” and would not meet the criteria for a blue badge.

I am sure you agree that not having a problem ourselves does not preclude us for having awareness of and empathy with those that may.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

You are fit and well Jean but many people are not that fortunate and rely on assistance from porters etc.  At the Caribbean lunch a few years ago the  lady officer hosting the table surprisingly made a comment that the company made less money from the older passengers because many of them did not buy from the the  onboard shops and did not use the ship photographers, excursions and speciality restaurants but did go to the Peninsular club ents.  Most of us on the table took this to mean that we cost them more but did not contribute as much as the newer cruisers.  I was just extending this thought to them maybe preferring less of us older pasengers and more of the younger new passengers.

We were also told this at a Caribbean lunch by an officer the reasoning given being they are used to going on cruises in the past when there were no speciality restaurants and many aimed to get off the ship having spent no money onboard and have a zero bill. We were also told that they were targeting younger people because they spent more onboard. Unfortunately you reap what you sow and now aiming to boost profits by selling more alcohol they then get an increase of bad behaviour and this in turn puts a lot of people off cruising with P&O so it has the opposite effect.

If this is actually going to happen (God forbid) it's going to be the final straw for some people - possibly including me.

The balance in favour of cruising was tipped by the ease of transfer from car to ship - that balance is now starting to tip the other way.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Angel57 said:

What slightly annoys me is that when i opted to reduce my OBC and take the CPS car parking it was under the old regime of driving right up to the terminal and not having to manhandle my cases. Now, i am fit and able so it is not really an issue - but it is a point of principal that once again after having booked something (or at least a service that is offered by them) the rules change!!! Some passengers may turn up completely oblivious to any possible changes and this could potentially cause unnecessary stress. Anyway, let's hope the trial doesn't work......

I understand your frustration,  but surely the new arrangements have nothing to do with P&O,  and your complaint is with CPS . Indeed, the new system may have been imposed by the Port Authorities in order to avoid congestion at the port terminal. 

Has anyone actually asked CPS why the arrangements have altered?

14 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Why was there a downside with P4C.  It's the same as CPS.  You drive in, offload your bags and a porter takes them.  The only difference is you then drive to the short term car park.  It makes no difference.

If they are now not having porters it will affect CPS and P4C??

Does this then mean that when you arrive at the terminal ( which ever way ) you will have to take your cases to the drop off point rather than a porter taking them there from your car. 

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I understand your frustration,  but surely the new arrangements have nothing to do with P&O,  and your complaint is with CPS . Indeed, the new system may have been imposed by the Port Authorities in order to avoid congestion at the port terminal. 

Has anyone actually asked CPS why the arrangements have altered?

Absolutely agree with what you say as I assume it will effect all cruise passengers from all ships and presumably at all terminals.

15 hours ago, majortom10 said:

We were also told this at a Caribbean lunch by an officer the reasoning given being they are used to going on cruises in the past when there were no speciality restaurants and many aimed to get off the ship having spent no money onboard and have a zero bill. We were also told that they were targeting younger people because they spent more onboard. Unfortunately you reap what you sow and now aiming to boost profits by selling more alcohol they then get an increase of bad behaviour and this in turn puts a lot of people off cruising with P&O so it has the opposite effect.

That's very interesting and partly true I suppose.  We have been cruise for about 15 years.  I have never used the photographer, certainly don't use the shops as most of the stuff is pretty rubbish!  We don't use specialty restaurants, so our only spend is on drinks and wine with dinner.  Oh and we also DIY, so don't do excursions.  I would imagine new cruisers are more likely to do excursions and the more experienced ones do their own thing.

Where have all the porters gone? 

Long time passing

They've all been cutback every one 

Long time ago 

It seems the glory days are gone 

When will they ever learn? 

When will they ever learn? 

🎶

Edited by Broadside
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

We have just returned from a cruise on the Ventura, we drove to the drop off lane where the luggage was taken by porters and the car driven to the car parking area, no change from our last cruise from Southampton.

Molly

I shall watch this thread with interest as CPS is usually much more expensive than the other operators but gets away with it by being the only one that takes your car from you at the terminal coupled, of course, with the fact that they are the operator that P&O use for their ‘free’ parking so tend to be the default option for most passengers. 

If CPS does reduce its service (but retain its high price) then people may be interested to know that if you have opted for ‘free parking’ when you made your booking (which means CPS), you are able to call P&O at any time subsequently and ‘opt out’ of free parking and get additional On Board Credit (OBC) instead. Having tried Parking4Cruises (due to recommendations on this site) and found it to be fine, even though my wife is a wheelchair user, I cancelled the ‘free parking’ on all my future cruises and booked with Parking4Cruises, saving quite a bit of money in the process (as the additional OBC was a lot more than the cost of parking elsewhere). Much to my surprise, I was even able to do this when I had actually booked the free parking with CPS. 

The sole disadvantage of using operators other than CPS is that you have to drop off luggage (and in my case, my wife in her wheelchair) in the drop off lane (that taxis use), drive to the adjacent short stay car park to get rid of your car and then walk the 100yds or so back to the terminal with your hand luggage. The advantages are that it is usually much cheaper and it can also be quicker than using CPS, as you don’t get stacked in a queueing lane (as you often do with CPS on the bigger ships). Also the short stay car park (where you also collect your car on return) can be a shorter walk than where you sometimes have to go to get to your car when collecting from CPS. 

We still have one future booking with CPS, which happens to be Iona’s maiden cruise as, for once, there was no cost advantage in changing to Parking4Cruises, but if the situation described by the OP becomes policy then I shall ditch CPS for good. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Throwing in my opinion

Lots of talk of those who need help . . . . . I'm 36 and have no physical issues.  However one of the things I like about cruising is that I don't have to think about my luggage.  So even though I don't NEED porters, losing them is a big deal.  To me it reduces some of the specialness that cruising has over flying. 

I hate to think of myself as one of those people who starts saying things like "it's not how it used to be", but if porters are taken away ..... "It's not how it used to be" :-(

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Meka3256 said:

Throwing in my opinion

Lots of talk of those who need help . . . . . I'm 36 and have no physical issues.  However one of the things I like about cruising is that I don't have to think about my luggage.  So even though I don't NEED porters, losing them is a big deal.  To me it reduces some of the specialness that cruising has over flying. 

I hate to think of myself as one of those people who starts saying things like "it's not how it used to be", but if porters are taken away ..... "It's not how it used to be" :-(

I agree and I'm 32.

Although this would be implemented by the port authority, I would expect that the cost for these services are partly charged back to the cruise lines (just like the ordering of a pilot boat and tug boat is), so they may have had a say in it as well. 

10 hours ago, Meka3256 said:

Throwing in my opinion

I hate to think of myself as one of those people who starts saying things like "it's not how it used to be", but if porters are taken away ..... "It's not how it used to be" 😞

Totally agree, one of the things worrying me on my first cruise was how easy was it going to be to get all our luggage out the car and how far would we have to walk with it! You can imagine my joy when I discovered it was all done for us!

If this actually happens I suspect it will backfire horribly as older and less able people decide it’s the final cut and the final straw.

Unless of course the younger freer spending passengers the cruise companies are actively seeking out fill all the gaps, and it won’t bother them one jot.

Changing times, changing passengers.