Cruise insurance

steve333

Good morning all,as our next cruise is less than 4 weeks away I’ve been searching online for a good policy(single trip with cruise cover and pre existing medical conditions-type 2 diabetes/raised blood pressure for my wife on a couples policy),who do you guys use/recommend?

Try the usual comparison sites? www.payingtoomuch works better for us than the usual sites (gocompare etc), but everyone has different pre-existings, ages etc. What works best for us may well not work for you.

BTW, in future it's wise to take out insurance as soon as you book the holiday in case you need to cancel (there are exceptions to this rule, but in general this applies).

Edited to add: make sure you tick the box for cruises - not all insurers insure cruises - it may well cover stuff you don't need, but will also cover what you do.

Edited by AnnieC

3 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Try the usual comparison sites? www.payingtoomuch works better for us than the usual sites (gocompare etc), but everyone has different pre-existings, ages etc. What works best for us may well not work for you.

BTW, in future it's wise to take out insurance as soon as you book the holiday in case you need to cancel (there are exceptions to this rule, but in general this applies).

Edited to add: make sure you tick the box for cruises - not all insurers insure cruises - it may well cover stuff you don't need, but will also cover what you do.

Hi Annie,thanks for the info,will look at paying too much now(got quotes from the other sites you mentioned),thanks,Steve

This is a real problem area for anyone with existing medical conditions.  Policies vary dramatically in what they cover, and often the policies sold through comparison sites turn out to be stripped down minimum cover policies just to put them towards the top of the table in terms of price.

Do check the terms and conditions very carefully before buying, and bear in mind that an apparent bargain may not prove to be the bargain it first appeared to be.  I'd also be inclined to stick to well known names if at all possible, simply because they're more worried about their reputation if there's a dispute over a claim.

• Like 1

No one insurance company, as majority if not all do pre existng medical conditions, can be recommended as the best as they vary so much on a person to person aspect. The only thing is to personally shop around to see which is the best for you make sure it covers cruising and  how much you want covered i.e. missed ports/cabin confinement and then decide but as we all knwo cheapest isnt always the best.

• Like 1

We now use Staysure as I think they give us the best cover at a competitive price. We do have a yearly policy for 2 of us with pre existing conditions as we cruise quite a lot so are covered for all eventualities, I hope, insurance is only as good as your first claim.

How much do you have to declare?  I am in good health, no 'medical conditions' as such but am waiting for physio on my knee which has been aching. No idea yet if it's ligament issues, arthritis or nothing identifiable.

After reading carefully through all the t’s and c’s on a number of different insurers you would be lucky to declare none on all the medical questions including past/existing and awaiting treatment/diagnosis.

2 hours ago, steve333 said:

After reading carefully through all the t’s and c’s on a number of different insurers you would be lucky to declare none on all the medical questions including past/existing and awaiting treatment/diagnosis.

Steve, I always ring the insurer once I've found a decent quote on a comparison site - that way you can run through everything on the phone with a real person. Write down everything they tell you and get their name.

If in doubt, tell the insurer about it, plus update them if anything new occurs during the life of the policy.

Edited by AnnieC
  • Like 1

Hi Steve,

We asked this question recently and Kenhem recommended 'onestop4travel insurance'.

We had quotes for over £1,000 and ended up paying £48 with all conditions declared (Michelle has a terminal illness).

They were the only ones who seemed to ask relevant questions.

Good luck and have a great cruise.

Andy

• Like 1

I am 53 and Michelle has just turned 50.

I think the big difference that we found was the relevance of the questions that nobody else asked.

For instance, when was her last appointment, when is the next one, how is the Cancer being managed etc and not just assuming she is about to drop down dead...

Perhaps they are good in some aspects and not so good in others, but they certainly worked for us.

Andy

Thanks Andy.  We are 72 and 80, so that would be the reason.  Good luck to you.  If you have cover for both of you for a good price,, that's excellent and I am so sorry your wife has a terminal condition.  x

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Thanks Andy.  We are 72 and 80, so that would be the reason.  Good luck to you.  If you have cover for both of you for a good price,, that's excellent and I am so sorry your wife has a terminal condition.  x

Thanks Jean.

We are managing to have a fantastic life at the moment with plenty of cruising, so not all is bad.

Andy

• Like 4

We use Aviva and have an annual family policy (including my two adult daughters) for less than £100. Aviva consider cruising to be a normal holiday, so everything is covered from a medical perspective (including on board treatment, medical evacuations and repatriation - I checked), and this policy also covers my wife’s pre existing medical condition. The only thing that we don't have is missed port cover, but for the price that some people on here pay for bespoke cruise insurance we can live without that!

• Like 2

My husband is 66 and has existing medical conditions. He found Insure and Go the cheapest with pre existing conditions. And they do specific "cruise cover" for a few pounds extra; covers possible evac and repatriation costs plus cabin confinement and missed ports. I get their annual policy plus cruise cover for £47 though I don't have any known medical conditions. He pays about £72.