lunch in Luminae?

39august

I thought Luminae was open for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day. Is this not correct? How about embarkation day lunch and  debarkation day breakfast, please?

Edited by 39august

5 minutes ago, grimace95120 said:

From my limited reading/research I believe :

Dinner : every night

Lunch: Embarkation day + all sea days

Breakfast : every day except embarkation, but includes debarkation

That's what I believe it to be anyway

Yes this is correct in my experience too.  On Embarkation day the hours of Luminae are very limited for lunch.  I think they close by 1:30 or 2PM.

In disagree about that leisurely pace. When we had breakfast in that venue we told the server we were going on an excursion and they modified their pace accordingly. But perhaps it was because I was nice to them and made no generalizations

• Like 1

Some may remember that when Luminae was introduced, it was advertised as open for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.  Shortly after Luminae opened, it was decided that lunch would only be served on Sea days (that actually makes sense, but was not was promised).  Obviously, some of those who booked before they changed were not pleased, to put it mildly.

I am of the opinion that Luminae is a wonderful venue, with delicious food. YMMV, as every cruise and every ship can differ from time to time depending on who is staffing it.

11 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Yes this is correct in my experience too.  On Embarkation day the hours of Luminae are very limited for lunch.  I think they close by 1:30 or 2PM.

We are usually seated around 1:30 and are there for as long as lunch takes. They stop seating at 1:30 or 2, but don't close up at 1:30.

7 hours ago, chemmo said:

Breakfast is really pleasant in Luminae but at a ‘leisurely pace’ ...If you have an excursion booked room service can be a better option...

Would you mind commenting on how breakfast in Luminae differs/compares to the MDR?  I am considering a suite (first time ever,  normally sail Concierge), so trying to get better understanding of the differences...

2 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

Would you mind commenting on how breakfast in Luminae differs/compares to the MDR?  I am considering a suite (first time ever,  normally sail Concierge), so trying to get better understanding of the differences...

Luminae is a cooked to order breakfast. As you are seated you will be offered fruit juice. You then order a fruit plate, cereals or yoghurt/berries to start, your main dish eggs/omelette plus grill items (other options also available)...Coffee and very nice pastries circulate.

Quality and service is very good. However, we find it is a leisurely affair to enjoy...We have never asked them to speed up, I am sure they would if you asked. 

On port days service finishes at 8.30 and on sea days at 9.00. On sea days it is also open for lunch.

If we are going on an early excursion or walk off the ship we often don’t want to spend that amount of time at breakfast nor do we want a full breakfast and we will simply order something from room service which the butler will deliver. 

On sea days we will often just have coffee and pastries in suite and then enjoy an early lunch.  Lunch in Luminae has three courses. We often just have two starters or just the mains as we don’t want anything too heavy/filling. We also will sometimes just visit the buffet, we enjoy their choices too.

On an average 12 night cruise we would probably enjoy a full breakfast in Luminae 3/4 times, in our suite full breakfast 3/4 times, in our suite light breakfast the rest of the time....

We have spoken to fellow guests who love Luminae for breakfast and visit daily. We do enjoy our visits there but we also enjoy our balcony...

You will find the ambience and service a step up from the MDR...hope you enjoy but don’t forget that being in a suite doesn’t prevent you from enjoying other options around the ship.

Evening menu we find quite limited but you can also order from the MDR menu (not on Edge). Service is excellent and the atmosphere is far more relaxing than the MDR, more of a speciality restaurant feeling. 

Hope that helps...

Edited by chemmo
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, chemmo said:

Luminae is a cooked to order breakfast. As you are seated you will be offered fruit juice. You then order a fruit plate, cereals or yoghurt/berries to start, your main dish eggs/omelette plus grill items (other options also available)...Coffee and very nice pastries circulate.

Quality and service is very good. However, we find it is a leisurely affair to enjoy...We have never asked them to speed up, I am sure they would if you asked. 

On port days service finishes at 8.30 and on sea days at 9.00. On sea days it is also open for lunch.

If we are going on an early excursion or walk off the ship we often don’t want to spend that amount of time at breakfast nor do we want a full breakfast and we will simply order something from room service which the butler will deliver. 

On sea days we will often just have coffee and pastries in suite and then enjoy an early lunch.  Lunch in Luminae has three courses. We often just have two starters or just the mains as we don’t want anything too heavy/filling. We also will sometimes just visit the buffet, we enjoy their choices too.

On an average 12 night cruise we would probably enjoy a full breakfast in Luminae 3/4 times, in our suite full breakfast 3/4 times, in our suite light breakfast the rest of the time....

We have spoken to fellow guests who love Luminae for breakfast and visit daily. We do enjoy our visits there but we also enjoy our balcony...

You will find the ambience and service a step up from the MDR...hope you enjoy but don’t forget that being in a suite doesn’t prevent you from enjoying other options around the ship.

Evening menu we find quite limited but you can also order from the MDR menu (not on Edge). Service is excellent and the atmosphere is far more relaxing than the MDR, more of a speciality restaurant feeling. 

Hope that helps...

@chemmo thank you - that is a wonderful and helpful overview! 

I'm looking forward to learning more about suites through the cruise critic forums! 

5 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

@chemmo thank you - that is a wonderful and helpful overview! 

I'm looking forward to learning more about suites through the cruise critic forums! 

Glad to help...We are back on Equinox in about 6 weeks, can’t wait to enjoy the sweet, suite life again!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chemmo said:

Glad to help...We are back on Equinox in about 6 weeks, can’t wait to enjoy the sweet, suite life again!

Me too!!!  I booked my first suite on Celebrity in 2003; and have booked nothing but suites since then....

On Equinox on October 4th;  how SUITE it is....

17 minutes ago, Olive1950 said:

Me too!!!  I booked my first suite on Celebrity in 2003; and have booked nothing but suites since then....

You board as we get off...would have been nice to meet up, promise to look after her for you...

2 hours ago, Olive1950 said:

Suites are definitely addictive ,last ten or so cruises have been suites. 

10 hours ago, George C said:

Suites are definitely addictive ,last ten or so cruises have been suites. 

Not only are they addictive, but we now upgrade to larger suites!   But if you can swing a Sky suite- and enjoy the suite perks- IMO so worth it!  

However the cost is double that of a regular balcony cabin  and you have to go with your budget.  If I couldn't do a suite, I would do a well located balcony cabin with dinner nightly in a specialty restaurant.

Edited by Cruise a holic