NCL Newbie Here - "Must Try Foods" Recommendations?

Boston Mom

Le Bistro - mushroom soup, escargot

O'Sheehan's - love their wings

When we took our first cruise ('07) folks here recommended the cold soups. I had one each day of the cruise and there was only one that I didn't enjoy -- our last cruise didn't have any cold soups and I miss them!
Definitely the crepes! Eggs Benny, I seem to remember enjoying the hash at O'Sheehan's for breakfast...

And make sure you hit the MDR for lunch on embarkation day -- so much nicer than fighting the crowds at the buffet! (That was one of the best tips I ever got on CC!)

Have fun!

For us—

Chocolate fondue and cream puffs from Le Bistro

Grilled pineapple from Moderno

Shrimp cocktail from Cagneys 

Lychee cocktail  (not sure on spelling) from Tappanyki

Sweet Korean chili bbq chicken wings from O’Shehans

Street corn from Food Republic 

Turkey Sub  and Supreme Pizza from Room Service

Volcano nachos from Margaritaville

Great salad offerings at the buffet

lots of good stuff!

1 hour ago, nhquilter1 said:

When we took our first cruise ('07) folks here recommended the cold soups. I had one each day of the cruise and there was only one that I didn't enjoy -- our last cruise didn't have any cold soups and I miss them!   .......

I love the cold soups too!  (DH doesn't understand that😋)

That's why I was so happy to find cold soup on the Bliss in the Observation Lounge.  I'm guessing that's only on the warm weather cruises, but it was really good and worth watching for.   They also had a nice little salad bar and small sandwiches (which DH did like!)

On 8/2/2019 at 4:19 PM, Boston Mom said:

We will be taking our first NCL cruise (7 day Western Caribbean on the Breakaway) in a few weeks and are looking for recommendations as to what experienced NCL cruisers consider "must try foods" in their main dining rooms, buffet, and specialty restaurants.

So far we have three specialty restaurants booked (Ocean Blue, Cagney's, and Teppenaki), and also plan to hit the Manhattan Room, Taste, Savor, and O'Sheehan's.  We are not big "buffet people" and prefer a sit down meal, but if there is something wonderful to try on the buffet I am up for giving that a try too.

Looking for recommendations on what you have liked for any meal, any course - and any other dining tips would be much appreciated also.  Really looking forward to trying something different and a whole week of not having to cook!

wow, so many choices, so little time: we are with you, not big buffet people. we may eat there once and may have burgers out by the pool but that is about it: 

Here is our favorites considering where you will be dining: Cagney's; any steak, they are all super tasty and usually cooked just the way we request. We were disappointed in their side dishes on our last cruise: Ocean Blue: our next cruise will be our first time eating there, so have no idea what to expect.

Teppenaki's, fun but lots of food

Crepes are great a the buffet.

MDR: breakfast always lox of course, but that is must me. Some people do not even like them I know. 

Manhattan room: we have had better service there than any MDR experience. In fact it was so good we tipped the wait person extra. 

O'Sheehans: wings, Reuban sandwich and fish and chips: F&C are not always great but very much what you would get at any bar and sometimes cooked just perfectly. Also good for a quick breakfast

Everyone raves about the pretzil rolls at the buffet. I am not a lover of them. 

We find the food on NCL very much improved over the past 5 years or so. No, it isn't like the olden days of cruising, but cruising has changed regardless of the line. NCL seemed to go through a period where the food did go down hill. I think it has come back quite a bit lately. We do love Le Bistro, but I see that is not once of the choices you have made. 

One more thing, on the days a MDR is the place to eat lunch; not crowded and the food is surprisingly good. 

Just a few things I haven't seen posted.  I don't eat in the MDRs and usually have a late breakfast, "tea" at 3 and then a specialty or simple dinner.  In the Garden Café at 3pm they put out delicious scones with jam and that amazing "crack" whipped cream along with some cookies and other treats. Much better than their regular desserts. 

In Le Bistro, if they still have the chocolate fondue, order it without the fruit and order ice cream. The fondue poured over the ice cream is amazing!  

You need to make reservations on the ship for Shanghai now. It is worth it. I am pretty picky and really enjoy their dumplings and noodle dishes.  

La Cucina makes a really good antipasto with good meats and cheeses that could be a meal with their delicious bread.

I have not been thrilled with Ocean Blue, but without the surcharge my expectations are a bit lower so I will try it again.

I did not like O'Sheehan's on the Gem at all, but have become a fan from good experiences on the Breakaway and Getaway. Keeping in mind that it seems to be a training site for young waiters, some patience is required. I really enjoy their breakfast (pastry basket, omelets, hot oatmeal) you can ask for the whole pot of coffee. The hot milk from the oatmeal is delicious in the coffee.  (make them leave the little pitcher if they try to take it). The Reuben is hit or miss, the burgers are fresh and usually quite good. They also make a brownie dessert with caramel sauce and marshmallows. Served fresh, it is crave-worthy. 

I'll put in my two cents 🙂

The wings at O'Shehan's are delicious. 

The salad bar at Moderno is great, I really enjoyed that because I'm not much of a red meat eater.  But my husband does like his well done and the waiter did ask at the beginning of the meal how everyone liked their meat. They took all of the red cuts and did them to how my husband liked them - that was an enjoyable touch for him.  The cinnamon pineapple, OMG.  So good.  That would be great over a scoop of vanilla ice cream.  Damn wish I thought of that then.  😏

The nachos and the fish tacos at Margaritaville were delish as well. 

We ate one night in at the buffet after one of our excursions. I found the food to be very good, especially the Chicken Tikka Masala with a warm Naan bread...yum.  There were plenty of choices, if you couldn't find something that you might enjoy with all of the selections they had then I don't know what to say. 

We really enjoyed all of the food we had on the ship.  Most breakfasts and dinners were at the Haven restaurant and they were excellent. We didn't mind that the menu didn't change each day. None of us had problems finding something delicious to eat. 

On 8/3/2019 at 11:32 AM, macandlucy said:

For me, it's the dover sole at Le Bistro. That's something I really look forward to every cruise. 

Cagney's wedge salad is good, the steaks are good, too. My husband liked the mac and cheese a lot (at the buffet and I think at Cagneys).

Somewhere (MDR? Cagneys?) I had raspberry creme brulee which was delicious I thought.

And buffalo wings at O'Sheehans late at night. (Also the fajitas at O'Sheenans are pretty good. I've only ever had the chicken, but they were nice.)

Bon appetit!

I second the sole at Le Bistro. 

Also at Le Bistro, they have this AMAZING vanilla ice cream dessert with hard chocolate sauce.  I can't remember what they call it.  It is to DIE FOR. The ice cream is so creamy and luscious, and the chocolate is divine. It's so good that on our last cruise night, when we had a reservation at Cagney's and the Seahawks were on the TV in O'Sheehan's, we decided to skip the dinner reservation at Cagney's to watch the game and then used our dinner credit to have the dessert at Le Bistro later on.  🙂

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ShelleyQT said:

I second the sole at Le Bistro. 

Also at Le Bistro, they have this AMAZING vanilla ice cream dessert with hard chocolate sauce.  I can't remember what they call it.  It is to DIE FOR. The ice cream is so creamy and luscious, and the chocolate is divine. It's so good that on our last cruise night, when we had a reservation at Cagney's and the Seahawks were on the TV in O'Sheehan's, we decided to skip the dinner reservation at Cagney's to watch the game and then used our dinner credit to have the dessert at Le Bistro later on.  🙂

I couldn't figure out how to edit my post, but I found out the name of the dessert at Le Bistro.  It is called "profiteroles" and it is actually cream puff ice cream sandwiches with chocolate sauce that hardens when it touches the cold ice cream.  Here is a pic:

image.png.9568021cc3ec8c747df446f3f537ec78.png

• Like 1

The French onion soup and the Napoleon at Le Bistro are definitely my favorites. The filet at La Cucina with the blue cheese ravioli is also wonderful. If you are or will cruise in the Haven, don’t miss the almond croissants at breakfast and the vegetable and goat cheese tart at lunch!

I am not a big fan of fast food and burgers, but we recently had terrific burgers on Gem in O'Sheehan's.

It called something like BBQ burger on grill. It definitely had Black Angus beef.

NOt available after 9 or 9:30PM.