Does Regent allow "visitors" onboard in ports?

My brother and his wife are planning to fly from Manila (where they live) to Singapore for a short stay while the Mariner is docked there for a couple of days in March, 2020 during the world cruise.

Does Regent ever allow visitors onboard a ship docked in port?  I'd love to show them the ship and maybe have lunch onboard if that's possible.  I know that other cruise lines won't allow this for security reasons.  If not, it's fine -- we can have lunch somewhere else, but I thought I'd ask here.  (I'd call RSSC directly, but it's the weekend and I figured someone here might have an answer -- )

Thanks!

Lana in Bellingham, WA

Yes they do.  There is a form to fill out at least 30 days in advance (they need it to be received by 30 days prior to the cruise).  Check with Regent or your TA to get the form.

You will be charged for their meal.  Hope that it works out.

1 minute ago, Travelcat2 said:

Yes they do.  There is a form to fill out at least 30 days in advance (they need it to be received by 30 days prior to the cruise).  Check with Regent or your TA to get the form.

You will be charged for their meal.  Hope that it works out.

Excellent!  Yes, I expected to be charged for the meal so that's no problem.  I'll be talking with my RSSC cruise guy later this week (to book the 2021 Grand Arctic Adventure), so I'll ask him about getting the form.  

Thanks!!

Lana in Bellingham, WA

24 minutes ago, DeepFreeze63 said:

Whoa! Better check with Regent.

I've done it but doubt Regent will do it IF it is a end/start of a segment.

Oh, I didn’t think of that, and it is, indeed, the beginning of a segment.  I have a note to ask my RSSC cruise consultant about it on Wednesday, but I suspect you’re right.

1 hour ago, DeepFreeze63 said:

Whoa! Better check with Regent.

I've done it but doubt Regent will do it IF it is a end/start of a segment.

52 minutes ago, ArtsyCraftsy said:

Oh, I didn’t think of that, and it is, indeed, the beginning of a segment.  I have a note to ask my RSSC cruise consultant about it on Wednesday, but I suspect you’re right.

It is possible to bring guests onboard at the beginning of a segment.  However, I doubt you can bring guests onboard for lunch at the beginning of a segment.  It is possible if your guests will arrive after the muster drill.  On March 9, 2019, at the beginning of our Panama Canal cruise, we brought my brother and sister-in-law onboard the Explorer at 6 pm for dinner and a tour.  Would a late arrival time work for your guests?

Dave

We have done it before on a change-over day, we ate at the pool grill. It was several years ago so perhaps things have changed? My TA took care of it all and it went without any glitches. I hope it works out well for you too.

11 minutes ago, DaveFr said:

It is possible to bring guests onboard at the beginning of a segment.  However, I doubt you can bring guests onboard for lunch at the beginning of a segment.  It is possible if your guests will arrive after the muster drill.  On March 9, 2019, at the beginning of our Panama Canal cruise, we brought my brother and sister-in-law onboard the Explorer at 6 pm for dinner and a tour.  Would a late arrival time work for your guests?

Dave

That would be great, but given the scheduling, I don't think it's possible -- 

The Mariner docks in Singapore at 1:00pm on March 18.  There's an "event" for the "full world cruise" guests that afternoon and evening.  On March 19, we leave Singapore at 5:00pm, so I was looking at having them visit for lunch.  If it doesn't work, that's OK -- we can arrange lunch somewhere close by (they're staying at the Marina Bay Sands hotel which is not far away from the cruise terminal).   So we'll work something out.  

Thanks for the suggestion -- something to keep in mind for the future.

Lana in Bellingham, WA

9 minutes ago, petlover said:

We have done it before on a change-over day, we ate at the pool grill. It was several years ago so perhaps things have changed? My TA took care of it all and it went without any glitches. I hope it works out well for you too.

So there's still hope.  😊  I'll see what's possible when I talk to my RSSC guy on Wednesday.  In any event, we can get together for lunch *somewhere* -- their hotel isn't far from the cruise terminal so it should be a relatively easy drive/etc.  I haven't seen them in person in over 15 years although we do video chat about once a week, so it will be nice to have a chance to visit a bit while I'm "in the area."

Thanks!

Lana in Bellingham, WA

The staff have clearly been told that guests of passengers are an opportunity to show how wonderful Regent is. So, the always great staff are even more great with guests.  Last time we had guests aboard, Regent never did charge us; of course we never asked why.

We have also had guests onboard during turnover; actually night before both in Singapore and Dubai.  Most times never charged for the meal although they did state it would be $75pp for dinner.

Best guest onboard experience we have had was when petlover was on world cruise docked in Hong Kong two nights; we flew to Hong Kong and ended up having three meals onboard and having fun with them and GrayWolf touring around Hong Kong.

Marc

We did it and it was really a nice evening, Regent did a great job of handling it all.  One thing, when you get the forms fill them out as early as you can, we got a copy back to confirm everything--it was wrong, but we had time to correct it.  Also beside to take a copy with you on the cruise.  When we had the Butler check, the ship knew nothing abut it.  Having the copy made it much easier to have the ship get approval faster.  In the end all was good.

We have also participated in having guests onboard for dinner on a turnaround day,  in this case it was Rio (and we were overnighting there, which made it easier), and we had just embarked that day.  We ourselves also have had guests aboard for lunch, in Ecuador.  Just get the wheels turning asap, and get the forms done and in place.  The only glitch could be that for some ports, it's not possible, but they'll tell you that.

It's great fun, I can tell you that.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

4 hours ago, HotRoot said:

Passengers had guests onboard the day the World Cruise left Los Angeles.  They had to be off before the muster drill.

That is interesting.  We will have guests on Splendor when we embark in San Diego.  The ship doesn't leave San Diego until midnight so we are hoping to have them for dinner.  Guess I'll have to ask Regent about that.

Speaking of late departure, I do not recall when Regent does muster in this case since some passengers may check in at the ship a noon and go back out.  What has been the experience of others?

Edited by Travelcat2

Last March, our Panama Canal cruise left Los Angeles at midnight.  The muster drill was held at approximately 5 pm.  A makeup drill was available for those who were not on the Explorer at 5 pm.

Dave

3 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

I had actually been wondering the same thing Jackie -- Maybe it will be when we sail from Catalina Island??  I believe the SOLAS requirement is that it happen within 24 hours of sailing so that would work.  

Since you were last on Regent, they decided to do more than SOLAS requires so they pretty much always do muster before the ship departs.

Dave - thank you for that information!

I realise that - Oceania does the same thing so probably it is a corporate policy BUT I cannot see them having a Muster Drill at 2200 !!  It is a bit of what we call here "un casse-tête" - problem isn't it.  Either people will have to return to the ship from their shopping or sightseeing for a late afternoon one or they have it the next day.   "all will be revealed in the fullness of time" !!

Gerry

We often do B2B cruises and actually seek out itineraries where turnaround day has a late departure and either arrange a private tour for the day or if we are really lucky and depending where in the world we are, spending the day with friends/family. 

We have always notified reception (often in writing) that we do not plan to return to the ship until later in the evening (after muster) - each time this has happened, one of two things occurs, depending on the number of people who missed muster. There is either a "private" or a group muster scheduled for later that evening or the next morning.  We have never had a problem, however, we always provide notification that we will not be in attendance at general muster. I remember one cruise where two couples not only did inform anyone that they would not be attending muster, they did not show up for the make-up session and they were searched out and dragged into the room, while we sat waiting for them.

• 3 weeks later...

I brought a friend on board when we arrived in New York, the evening before we disembarked.  Filled out the form, etc., which included friend's passport, which was required to board.  They said there would be a charge for the meal (we ate in Compass Rose), but it was not added to my bill.

It's great fun to show off a Regent ship!

8 minutes ago, Me&Red said:

I brought a friend on board when we arrived in New York, the evening before we disembarked.  Filled out the form, etc., which included friend's passport, which was required to board.  They said there would be a charge for the meal (we ate in Compass Rose), but it was not added to my bill.

It's great fun to show off a Regent ship!

Yes - it is fun.  We plan on having our daughter and adult grandchildren onboard Splendor in March out of San Diego.  Really looking forward to it.