Favorite foods onboard

mdpa

Toscana has a pasta appetizer called the "something" trio.  3 different pastas. The last one has lobster in it. Superb.

Polo Mac and lobster side dish comes in a small ramekin. Devine. My husband sampled mine twice. Left me almost none. Third time I told him to get his own.

IMO the escargot were better in the MDR than in Polo. I liked them prepared very traditional which is the way MDR makes them.

Oysters Rockefeller in Polo great.

The deconstructed lobster  in Polo  superb.

I love Oceania. We go again in November. This time on Marina.

1 hour ago, JPR said:

Or champagne.

Or other sparkling wines.

Vodka is my beverage of choice but I don't remember having it with caviar.  We had Reyka vodka in Iceland and I loved it.  I'm pretty sure I've seen it at Total Wines.  Maybe I should carry on a bottle.  BTW can you order a tin of caviar?  I think sitting on our verandah with that would be just hunky-dory 🙂

https://www.thespruceeats.com/reyka-vodka-review-760659

29 minutes ago, Mrs f. said:

IMO the escargot were better in the MDR than in Polo. I liked them prepared very traditional which is the way MDR makes them.

I've always said that if you like garlic and you like butter than why wouldn't you like snails 🙂  That's how I make them.  Hmm, reminder to self to order a tin.  Amazon is my friend!

• Like 2

We just finished Marina’s Norway cruise.  When dining in Toscana, the dessert menu was pulling us to pick the tiramisu but we picked this:   Italian Sponge Cake Soaked in Bacardi Rum, Filled with Cameroon Cocoa and Coffee Zabaione, Topped with Chocolate-Rum Sauce.  We ordered one and shared it.  It was so very decadent and delicious! 

• Like 1

OK, I've already previewed the menu and this option was on my short list (if still available).

I love tiramisu but have had it many times so prefer to push myself to try something new. I also saw a reference to a chocolate lasagna (which doesn't sound great, but I saw a picture that looked good).

Clo:

You can order caviar onboard, though in relatively small expensive portions (multiply them if you want). They serve caviar with mediocre blinis; we much prefer crispy warm toast.

Vodka and caviar is the classic Russian method of eating caviar...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JPR said:

Vodka and caviar is the classic Russian method of eating caviar...

Isn't vodka the classic way of eating many things in Russia?  🙂

I may do some research.  We're going to be in Rio for a few days pre-cruise.  There are people who are plenty rich there.  And it will be pre-NYE.  Hmm.

2 hours ago, JPR said:

Unfortunately for the Russians, too often it’s just vodka with more vodka...

Looks like you really got to know the Russians well. So probably not all of them are the same. As for the caviar, we prefer it served on the delicate crispy baguette with butter, not toasted soft center. No sour cream either. Good with vodka though.

5 minutes ago, osandomir said:

Looks like you really got to know the Russians well. So probably not all of them are the same. As for the caviar, we prefer it served on the delicate crispy baguette with butter, not toasted soft center. No sour cream either. Good with vodka though.

https://www.saveur.com/article/Techniques/Serving-Caviar/

3 minutes ago, marylovestotravel said:

Seared Foie Gras???

Caviar???

Where? Pray tell...

Mia

From reading the specialty menus the seared foie gras seams a regular there.  I'm still investigating the caviar 🙂

Cat

Just now, osandomir said:

Yes, caviar is the best without anything, but I’m afraid Oceania wouldn’t serve me enough to eat it on its own.

So are you saying that you can or can't order it?

1 minute ago, clo said:

So are you saying that you can or can't order it?

Most recently the caviar was only available in the MDR on the evenings of the captain reception and on the longer cruises on some other night closer to the end. Some years ago it was also available at the Gala brunches on the sea days. At the dinner I was served two-three orders at once without any accomplishments. Still not enough to enjoy it without bread and butter. I don’t believe that you will be able to order a tin anywhere on the Oceania ship😥

12 hours ago, osandomir said:

I don’t believe that you will be able to order a tin anywhere on the Oceania ship😥

Caviar Canapés are available by the tray in any of the Suites.

I want to say  $65 per tray, which contain approximately 25 hor d’oeuvre, which are beautifully executed.

There are catering menus in the desk drawers with the Restaurant menus.  

38 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

Caviar Canapés are available by the tray in any of the Suites.

I want to say  $65 per tray, which contain approximately 25 hor d’oeuvre, which are beautifully executed.

There are catering menus in the desk drawers with the Restaurant menus.  

I had one of the  menus from 2017

it was $36 for 1 oz  per guest   maybe a larger  tray will garner a discount  😉

not a good photo

image.thumb.png.01913ff70e8d680b7ce9818afe9a4fd2.png

I remember Sunday brunch in the GDR but I have not experienced one onboard Oceania for several years.  On our recent May cruise in the Western Mediterranean on Marina the GDR never was open for lunch but it also was our very first cruise which had no sea days. 

Edited by CintiPam

5 hours ago, JPR said:

It’s often a Gala brunch on the one of the sea days. No, caviar wasn’t available at the brunches that we attended recently. The caviar at the MDR dinner wasn’t lump fish, I believe it was more like a paddlefish, but definitely not osetra or beluga though.

• Like 1