Favorite foods onboard

mdpa

On only a very few cruises have we had that spectacular brunch.  It does seem to me that these were only on Marina/Riviera but I don't want to swear to that.  The GDR on the "R" ships is certainly large enough to manage the displays whereas Terrace on the "R" ships is much smaller than on the "O" ships.  Apples and oranges ...

If you have the opportunity on a cruise to partake in the special brunch, by all means DO NOT MISS IT.

Mura

51 minutes ago, JPR said:

Paddlefish caviar can be quite good. Surprised about the brunch. Was that on an O ship or an R ship?

We always had the caviar similar to Paddlefish at the dinner time once or twice over 14 days cruises. Sometimes more on the longer cruises both on the R ships and on the O ships.

1 hour ago, JPR said:

Paddlefish caviar can be quite good. Surprised about the brunch. Was that on an O ship or an R ship?

We always had the caviar similar to Paddlefish at the dinner time once or twice over 14 days cruises. Sometimes more on the longer cruises both on the R ships and on the O ships.

Edited by osandomir
Double post

Moving on to breakfast, in the MDR, I enjoy the Swedish Pancakes, which I like to have with plain yogurt or creme fraiche or sour cream and extremely crisp bacon.

Alternatively (each of these recommendations is for a different day!), eggs Florentine with smoked salmon added and an extra squeeze of lemon juice in the hollandaise (served on the side).

Smoked salmon/lox is also delicious served on top of the (ask for extra crispy) rosti potato pancake, again with a little creme fraiche or sour cream instead of cream cheese and a squeeze of lemon or lime on top, plus capers if you like them.

The last favorite MDR item is of far more limited appeal than the above, but another personal favorite: grilled kippers and onions, with either very soft scrambled or fried eggs.

Other personal favorites, for breakfast in the Terrace this time,  are a soft mushroom omelet made with extra mushrooms, onions, spinach, and a little Swiss or jack cheese.

And if they have freshly made corned beef hash, a serving with a soft poached egg on top (and a few drops of Tabasco on the hash).

3 hours ago, JPR said:

Moving on to breakfast, in the MDR, I enjoy the Swedish Pancakes, which I like to have with plain yogurt or creme fraiche or sour cream and extremely crisp bacon.

Alternatively (each of these recommendations is for a different day!), eggs Florentine with smoked salmon added and an extra squeeze of lemon juice in the hollandaise (served on the side).

Smoked salmon/lox is also delicious served on top of the (ask for extra crispy) rosti potato pancake, again with a little creme fraiche or sour cream instead of cream cheese and a squeeze of lemon or lime on top, plus capers if you like them.

The last favorite MDR item is of far more limited appeal than the above, but another personal favorite: grilled kippers and onions, with either very soft scrambled or fried eggs.

Other personal favorites, for breakfast in the Terrace this time,  are a soft mushroom omelet made with extra mushrooms, onions, spinach, and a little Swiss or jack cheese.

And if they have freshly made corned beef hash, a serving with a soft poached egg on top (and a few drops of Tabasco on the hash).

I think they  use canned cornbeef hash...Mary's Kitchen ( the "gold standard of corn beef hash)

Then  you can "assemble"  Sausage/Mushroom/ Grits with capers  )You gotta  use Cream Of wheat as a substitute)       Capers and Corn Beef Hash work even better than Tabasco...... The terrace you can let your mind wander to the farthest reaches of plausibility/sanity  !.

DSC_0165.JPG

5 hours ago, JPR said:

Alternatively (each of these recommendations is for a different day!)

Thanks for the clarification! An excellent list but I might have been tempted to try it all in one sitting. 😉

Based on my observations, consuming two to three or more of these in one ship's breakfast isn't all that uncommon!

(Just wanted to make sure no one thought that trencherman would be me...)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I'm enjoying the last evening aboard our 7-day Oceania Bermuda cruise and thought I would give some feedback about the food.

Some of the foods tried:

Aragosta Fra Diavolo in Toscana- very good!

Surf & Turf sandwich in Waves- very good

Croissant- decent, I must not be a croissant person

Sticky Buns in Terrace Cafe- awesome, had one almost everyday

Baby lamb chops for breakfast in GDR- excellent!

Swedish Pancakes in GDR- very good

Raisin Scones with clotted cream at tea time- enjoyed almost every day

Handmade pasta with bologna sauce in Terrace Cafe- very good. enjoyed watching them make the pasta on the spot

Chocolate Ice Cream- probably my biggest surprise, very good and intense. Had one scoop almost every day for lunch

Oyster Rockefeller in Polo- very good

Italian Sponge Cake drenched in chocolate- very good

As you can see, these posts inspired me to try many of the suggestions and others in our group tried many more. I didn't have any meal that I didn't enjoy. It was all very good. I ordered the 20oz Porterhouse when in Polo and one octopus app that was just OK. Nothing bad, cuts of steak often vary and my lamb chops were very tender.

Dinner tonight and .breakfast tomorrow before I head back home to a normal meal plan. 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, mdpa said:

I'm enjoying the last evening aboard our 7-day Oceania Bermuda cruise and thought I would give some feedback about the food.

Thanks for the feedback- glad you enjoyed most things.

You must not be a croissant person because they ARE excellent - almost “Paris” grade 😀

On 8/6/2019 at 4:52 PM, Hawaiidan said:

As for caviar,  its not Beluga boys and girls....  I suspect lump fish..or a similar  grade. 

Ah, yes, another thing that you're ignorant about that doesn't keep you from posting.  You can get 'real' caviar. Beluga even.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jennysplitter/2019/01/31/beluga-caviar-straight-from-the-farm-in-florida/#223baa4860f1

4 minutes ago, JPR said:

It’s definitely not the cheap lumpfish “caviar,” which has tiny hard eggs, is very salty, and is jet black.

When I first saw the above piece I tried to contact them and I can't remember the outcome.  I'll have to try again.

ETA:  Looks like 'only' the sevruga is available so far.

https://www.markys.com/Caviar/sevruga-caviar/

Edited by clo

25 minutes ago, clo said:

Ah, yes, another thing that you're ignorant about that doesn't keep you from posting.  You can get 'real' caviar. Beluga even.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jennysplitter/2019/01/31/beluga-caviar-straight-from-the-farm-in-florida/#223baa4860f1

Hi CLO!!! So surprised with him! Remember he knows everything!!!

We just had Russian Ostera  caviar and it 

was slightly salty black and wonderful little eggs! We enjoyed for my DH Retirement!

As always talk to you right around making dinner again! 😋 Hungry 

Denise😊

2 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

As always talk to you right around making dinner again!

Was this a virtual dinner ?!?!?!

I know a lot about a very few things.  I know a little about a whole ton of stuff.  I try not to say I know things when I don't.  Just one of my little quirks 🙂

Cath

1 minute ago, clo said:

Was this a virtual dinner ?!?!?!

I know a lot about a very few things.  I know a little about a whole ton of stuff.  I try not to say I know things when I don't.  Just one of my little quirks 🙂

Cath

OMGOSH! Cath your  a gem as well as so many here on this boards! It has been nice 

Learning a lot, giving back some and dealing with the other🙄

So glad you responded!

Take care

Denise😊

As a new to Oceania cruiser (our first cruise sets sail this Friday on Sirena!!) I REALLY appreciate this thread!! I’m going to try to be a little more adventurous, and try new things...not caviar and octopus adventurous, though!

Thanks for sharing some great options!

Lara

1 hour ago, Numer3 said:

As a new to Oceania cruiser (our first cruise sets sail this Friday on Sirena!!) I REALLY appreciate this thread!! I’m going to try to be a little more adventurous, and try new things...not caviar and octopus adventurous, though!

Thanks for sharing some great options!

Lara

I’m jealous!!!!

my first O cruise is next April! Lara have a fantastic time smooth sailings and be adventurous!!

Bon Voyage 

Denise😊

Our British Isles cruises ended August 14th onboard the Marina - here are a few of our favourites (some old favs and a few new ones) - next cruise in January and we will have to 'make do' with only Polo and Toscana:

• All bread is simply divine in all restaurants (love the variety amongst the Speciality Restaurants) 
  • Enjoy our breakfast croissant (and perhaps a fresh danish) served in our room on busy excursion days
  • When time permits, love having breakfast in GDR - relaxing and elegant - enjoy the omelets 
  • Back from excursions, we head to Waves as husband likes the burgers and I go for Alaskan or veggie burger otherwise, I head over to the Terrace for a slice or two of pizza Margherita then join husband in Waves (note: husband felt milkshakes were not as good as in the past - somewhat watered down)
  • Polo:  Crab cake for both. Maine lobster for me and this time, husband had roast beef with fav Franck's potatoes + yummy crème brûlée 
  • Red Ginger: we both had Miso Soup, Ginger Calamari then, Sea Bass and hubby had a side order of the lamb!
  • Toscana: Aragosta Fra Diavolo for me and husband had the Dover Sole + yummy crème brûlée
  • Jacques: we both love the Escargot followed by Dover Sole and this year a new dessert: choux pastry with Chantilly crème (the crème was to die for)!
  • Baristas for best coffee on the ship and snacks (madeleines in particular + the bite size sandwiches); these favs are also available in the PH or Concierge lounges
  • Like 1

Has anyone mentioned Jacques Apple Tart? Delicious. 

I'm one that has never liked the milkshakes, and I love milkshakes. I love their ice cream but it seems something is off on the milkshakes. I've tried them 4 or 5 times in the last 10 years and they just don't work for me. Lots of folks love them. 

The daily GDR menus should have no effect on when you want to go to a specialty restaurant -- IMO.  If there is a "free" cocktail party (like the captain's party) that MIGHT affect your decision.  (It wouldn't mine!)  That's more because of timing than because of menu offerings.

We prefer to book specialties on sea days, but that's us.  (I'm sure we're not alone but I wouldn't assume we are in the majority.)  It's just that if we've been out and about for most of the day we don't feel like changing to go into a specialty restaurant.

The GDR menus aren't as open-ended as they used to be.  We were on Riviera in May 2018 when I believe they were new, and we were disappointed at the reduction in choices.  From what I have read here, we are not alone.  It even sounds as if the limitations are more now than they were then.

So I'd go for my specialty reservations when I can get them and not worry about a "special" night in the GDR ... especially if you are only on the ship for 7 days.

Mura

P.S.  We are long time GDR fans -- we rarely use all the specialty reservations that are available to us.  We always preferred the varying menus in the GDR to the set menus in the specialties.  BUT with this change last year the GDR no longer has the advantage (for us) that it used to have.  So we are more likely to go to Terrace on the nights when we don't have a specialty restaurant  -- unless we check the GDR menu and see that there is something we want to try.  The other option is to order dinner in our suite (which these days we usually have). At least we don't have to get all gussied up for dinner ...

Edited by Mura