Complete Legal name not appearing on the Cruise Ticket

SKYLAI

Hello everyone,

Want to confirm if anyone had experience with this.

My wife's first name on her Passport is Mary Susan Joy (just let's say) and Last name is Smith.

But on the Cruise ticket, They put First name as Mary, Middle name (optional) Susan Joy, Last name is Smith.

I inquire with the Travel agent through who we booked our flight and cruise ticket, he explained that there is no enough space to put my wife's whole Mary Susan Joy on it. That's why he just out Mary as First name and Susan Joy as middle name.

Would that be OK if she check in at the cruise?

Thanks in advance!

18 minutes ago, SKYLAI said:

Hello everyone,

My wife's first name on her Passport is Mary Susan Joy (just let's say) and Last name is Smith.

But on the Cruise ticket, They put First name as Mary, Middle name (optional) Susan Joy, Last name is Smith.

I inquire with the Travel agent through who we booked our flight and cruise ticket, he explained that there is no enough space to put my wife's whole Mary Susan Joy on it. That's why he just out Mary as First name and Susan Joy as middle name.

Thanks in advance!

Totally fine. My passport has my first name; middle name & maiden name; married name.  (My original middle name and maiden name as my middle name).  For example:

Christine

Anna Jones

Webber

Have yet to have anyone question for air flights, or cruising.

Edited by Shmoo here
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, SKYLAI said:

Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance!

If those non-surnames names have spaces instead of hyphens, all but the first are middle names. 

As long as there is a strong similarity between ticket and ID there should be no problem. My tickets almos always come with just my middle initial while my passport has my middle name spelled in full - no one has ever batted an eye, either on cruise boarding or flight check in.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

As long as there is a strong similarity between ticket and ID there should be no problem. My tickets almos always come with just my middle initial while my passport has my middle name spelled in full - no one has ever batted an eye, either on cruise boarding or flight check in.

When it comes to airlines, particularly international flights, there are the occasional stories regarding denied boarding for name snafus as minor as a middle name, which can occur at multiple spots in the embarkation process. But, one thing is sure: It really depends on who is examining your credentials that day.

If you have correct information from your trusted traveler profile (e.g., Global Entry) in your airline records, the middle name issue SHOULD NOT be problematic, at least in the US. But, once you are abroad, it's not a problem unless it's a problem. 

Bottom line IMO: whatever is entered on any ticket for international travel - air or sea - should exactly match what is on your passport.

17 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Totally fine. My passport has my first name; middle name & maiden name; married name.  (My original middle name and maiden name as my middle name).  For example:

Christine

Anna Jones

Webber

Have yet to have anyone question for air flights, or cruising.

My ex had this also.

She put first and middle in the first name box.  Maiden in middle name spot.  And married in the last name.

It worked fine.

16 hours ago, clo said:

I kept it simple.  I have the last name I was born with.  Not a "maiden" name, just my name.

16 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Your choice.  I chose to add my husband's name to mine.  Either way is correct.

How is this even remotely relevant or helpful to the OP?

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, SKYLAI said:

Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance!

Should not be a problem at all. The cruise lines are not particular with what's n the  middle.

17 hours ago, clo said:

I kept it simple.  I have the last name I was born with.  Not a "maiden" name, just my name.

How does this help OP answer the question?

Edited by zqvol

Even that airlines only care if all the names are there.  Even spaces can be removed.

I am a Jr.  Some airlines do not have suffix field.  Some do not allow spaces in names.  So to keep things consistent, everything is booked lastnamejr

Of course my ID and passport have Lastname Jr

No problems.

21 minutes ago, SRF said:

Even that airlines only care if all the names are there.  Even spaces can be removed.

I am a Jr.  Some airlines do not have suffix field.  Some do not allow spaces in names.  So to keep things consistent, everything is booked lastnamejr

Of course my ID and passport have Lastname Jr

No problems.

Yeah, I'm a Jr too.  It's a bit of a pain in the butt sometimes.  I've read all kinds of opinions on the use of the Jr suffix when traveling - everything from "suffixes" don't matter, Jr is no more required than PhD or Dr,  to if Jr is shown on your birth certificate (mine is) than it is a required part of your legal name.  I usually handle it just like you, but sometimes there's still a travel document mismatch.  However, it has never resulted in a problem when traveling.

My name is Robert middle initial A last name.  On some airline and cruise boarding passes I was listed as Roberta last name.  Never had trouble boarding anywhere, although it did elicit a few questioning eyebrows when 1st seen by an agent.

On 8/5/2019 at 2:56 PM, ed01106 said:

How is this even remotely relevant or helpful to the OP?

On 8/5/2019 at 3:18 PM, zqvol said:

How does this help OP answer the question?

You'll notice that certain posters don't care about being helpful, but only about garnering attention.  

The "ignore user" function works quite well at filtering their posts out so you don't have to be bothered by them anymore.  I only see this person's blathering when someone else quotes them. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, evandbob said:

My name is Robert middle initial A last name.  On some airline and cruise boarding passes I was listed as Roberta last name.  Never had trouble boarding anywhere, although it did elicit a few questioning eyebrows when 1st seen by an agent.

Is this recently?

For a long time, every airline has required the full middle name.

14 minutes ago, SRF said:

Is this recently?

Don't know about Robert, but not everyone has a full middle name.  There are some people who only have an initial for a "middle name".

16 hours ago, evandbob said:

Just tell then the surgery was a success.  

(I had a friend who occasionally would tell people she was a transexual born Samual and had an operation to become Samantha.  When in fact she had always been Samantha.  People would always comment how good of a job the doc did. Night on the town with her were always crazy fun.  Whether she was claiming to be trans or some other weird story.) 

I had a similar experience recently on RCI where I forgot to put in my DWs full, hyphenated name.  We were taken to a port rep with a computer who, after about 90 seconds, fixed the issue and we were on my way.

However, I'll avoid doing that in the future and put her name in as it appears on her passport.

On 8/7/2019 at 1:14 PM, Shmoo here said:

Don't know about Robert, but not everyone has a full middle name.  There are some people who only have an initial for a "middle name".

Yes, then only one letter IS there full middle name.

So they still need to provide their full middle name.

And BTW, if their middle name is a single letter, it is NOT an initial.  It IS their name. 😄

On 8/7/2019 at 12:59 PM, SRF said:

Is this recently?

Not everyone has a middle name, including my husband.

I have a friend whose full middle name is the letter R.  Long story as to why, but it doesn't change the situation.

To the OP, I have a hyphenated last name, and often systems won't take a hyphen.  In that case they put my first and middle under teh first name and the first half of my last under my middle and the second half of my last under my last.  Or sometimes they run both last names together.  On planes, trains, and cruise ships this has NEVER been an issue.  Don't worry about it.

• Thanks 1

The only time I could see this being a problem.....

Your name James Quick Public

Ticket says Jim Q Public

Jim Q Public is on the terrorist no fly watch list...but me thinks you are getting extra screening and questioning even if your ticket says James Quick Public.

18 hours ago, ducklite said:

Not everyone has a middle name, including my husband.

I have a friend whose full middle name is the letter R.  Long story as to why, but it doesn't change the situation.

Again, their middle name is R, the full middle name is R.

It is NOT an initial.  And initial STANDS for the full name.  Their full name is R.

In the military, they used to use NMI if there was no middle name.  NMI = No Middle Initial.