Liberty March 2020 Shuttle & Hotel Questions

I know there is information somewhere on this stuff but could not find it so...…..We will be sailing Liberty March 2020 and I was wondering what the best way to get from Hobby Airport to Galveston would be.  Also a decent hotel to stay in the night before in Galveston.  How long ahead of time should I make the reservations?  Don't like to wait until the last minute and want to try to get the ducks at least flying in the same direction.

We always stay at Moody Gardens when we cruise out of Galveston.  If you decide to stay with them, go ahead and book it now.  Wonderful property!

https://www.moodygardenshotel.com/

Sorry I cannot help with the shuttle information as we always drive to the port -- we drive from Oklahoma and park directly across from where we board (so convenient)!

Uber/Lyft.  About 40% cheaper than a shuttle service and it's per vehicle not per person.  Galveston previously had rather onerous restrictions for Uber/Lyft and they both pulled out but now ride shares are regulated at the state level so no longer a patch work of restrictions from city to city so they're both back.  I want to say it's about $65 on Lyft from Hobby.

I've recently been staying at Schaefer Haus.  It's very reasonable. Run by absolutely lovely people, and it does take a single night reservations (A few places require a 2 night stay peak season on weekends).  Also it's w/in walking distance (a few blocks) to the historic area of Galveston w/ lots of fun restaurants.

https://www.schaeferhausgalveston.com/about-us-old/

1 hour ago, lovescats5 said:

I know there is information somewhere on this stuff but could not find it so...…..We will be sailing Liberty March 2020 and I was wondering what the best way to get from Hobby Airport to Galveston would be.  Also a decent hotel to stay in the night before in Galveston.  How long ahead of time should I make the reservations?  Don't like to wait until the last minute and want to try to get the ducks at least flying in the same direction.

See this forum:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/316-gulf-coast-departures/

4 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Thanks, but wondering how many Uber and Lyft drivers are available on the island during a slow (for Galveston) month like March.

Dan

You may get more input by posting this on the Gulf Coast Departures forum.

4 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Thanks, but wondering how many Uber and Lyft drivers are available on the island during a slow (for Galveston) month like March.

Dan

Or maybe not so slow ....depending on the week, March can be quite busy in Galveston.  Many area schools/universities are on Spring Break in March.  

19 hours ago, fdthird said:

Yes. Texas now regulates it not the city. 

City never regulated Uber . Uber pulled out of Galveston voluntarily for a while . But they and Lift are active on the island . 

Our last time in Galveston we got an Uber driver that only worked weekends specifically for shuttling cruise passengers. How many of those there are, I don’t know but we had no issue ordering an Uber. As for transportation to/from Hobby, I’ve used both Galveston Limo and Galveston Express.

52 minutes ago, fdthird said:

We did a one night (Saturday night) stay at Harbor House this past March.  Couldn’t reserve directly, but did it via Hotels.Com

Thanks for the tip.  Do you mind sharing the cost?