Is there a waiting period when ordering with the drink package?

tallyho8

I have the premium drink package. Can I order only one drink at a time, alcoholic or non-alcoholic? After I order a drink, is there a certain amount of time I have to wait before I order another one? Do they allow you to bring unopened beer or soft drinks to your cabin? Thanks for your replies.

3 minutes ago, tallyho8 said:

I have the premium drink package. Can I order only one drink at a time, alcoholic or non-alcoholic? After I order a drink, is there a certain amount of time I have to wait before I order another one? Do they allow you to bring unopened beer or soft drinks to your cabin? Thanks for your replies.

I think just one drink at a time, unless you want to sample two wines, perhaps.

I don't think there is a minimum time period between drinks, but if a person were to get a drink and slide it over to another person and then order another drink that would not work well.

If you order a bottle of soda or beer it 'might' be allowed to take it away. Not sure about that one.

One drink at a time, however you can order a drink and a bottle of water at the same time.

Yes, you can ask that the beer or soda  or be opened.

From observation I would say there is about a 5 minute period between ordering drinks.

FYI, ordering drinks for others without a package is not allowed. Those who do that get charged for the drink the first time, repeaters will have their beverage package revoked.  

• Like 1

We were told 5 minutes on one cruise when my DH ordered a drink for consumption then and a bottle of beer to take to the cabin for later. This was a few years ago. We haven't had an issue recently. They can get around it, if they wish - we have had bartenders give him both, take our folio number and add the bottle of beer later. I imagine that is how they get around chasers too (not something we do, but assume that happens).

I have always been told there is a 5 minute wait between drinks.  However, if we have been sitting at the bar, the bartender usually serves us what we order when we order it and then just runs the card later for the second drink.  We're not ordering drinks for other people.  It's usually we ask for a shot of something and a sipping drink.  As others have said, they'll always give you a bottle of water with a drink at one time.

There is no lock out or anything on the till - it is just to stop abuse with passengers ordering for someone who should be paying for the drinks - or is not permitted to drink.  As long as the server is satisfied for themselves that you are only ordering a drink for yourself they will allow you to do so.  But if they think you are sliding the drinks over to someone who should have paid they will report you.  And fairly so.

• Like 3

I was curious about this too. My husband and I will both have the premium drink package. What if we want to take a bottle or two of water with us when in port? Or sometimes we like to have a drink on our balcony? Is it possible to get more than one to take with us or do we have to stop at a different bar along the way? I understand them not wanting people to share. I'm just trying to figure out how we can get the most out of it.

It's all up to the bartender. The world class bartenders usually get to know us and will wait until we're leaving to ring up our drinks on the beverage package, which is usually 2 or 3 drinks before dinner. If they can do multiple at once, there's no official time limit

Are you finishing drinks so quickly to need to order them quickly? If you are at the martini bar for example-- and slamming them down-- the behavior will cut you off, not the time.  Drink packages are not shareable... if that's your plan. 

As far as ordering a scotch and a bottled water at the same time--thats not an issue. And we always take a bottle of water to the room when heading up for bed... never an issue. 

In a dining room--to have a glass of wine per course is possible. 

11 minutes ago, caggfamily said:

What if we want to take a bottle or two of water with us when in port?

Most port stops there will be a cooler with water on ice for passengers to take. I think they scan your card for the number of bottles you wish to take. On the way back there is often cool water on a hot day waiting before you embark again.

If you have access to Michael's Club (Retreat Lounge) stop there on the way to your stateroom for a beverage to take with you. No problem.

12 minutes ago, caggfamily said:

I was curious about this too. My husband and I will both have the premium drink package. What if we want to take a bottle or two of water with us when in port? Or sometimes we like to have a drink on our balcony? Is it possible to get more than one to take with us or do we have to stop at a different bar along the way? I understand them not wanting people to share. I'm just trying to figure out how we can get the most out of it.

They often hand out bottles of water either at security or at the gangway - we have always had a bvg pkg, so I cannot be certain, but I think those are free to everyone. They will also set up a tent a bit later with jugs of cold water and cut fruit in it (spa water). Sometimes they hand out cold towels as you are coming back aboard. 

8 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

They often hand out bottles of water either at security or at the gangway - we have always had a bvg pkg, so I cannot be certain, but I think those are free to everyone. They will also set up a tent a bit later with jugs of cold water and cut fruit in it (spa water). Sometimes they hand out cold towels as you are coming back aboard. 

The bottles of water when exiting the ship are not free.  They will scan your card or take your folio # and if you don’t have a beverage package you will be charged.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, K12Guy said:

Most port stops there will be a cooler with water on ice for passengers to take. I think they scan your card for the number of bottles you wish to take. On the way back there is often cool water on a hot day waiting before you embark again.

If you have access to Michael's Club (Retreat Lounge) stop there on the way to your stateroom for a beverage to take with you. No problem.

Michael's Club is great to stop at (if you have access) on the way off the ship. Grab a coffee and load up my bag with waters and sodas. Never thought about loading up beers (though I'm not much of a beer drinker) 

I’ve quite often asked for “unopened” beer and/or soda. Never more than one alcoholic drink at a time but the bartenders got to know me and would just hand me the can! I liked to have them in our emptied mini bar so I could enjoy them on the balcony. 

Wendy

14 minutes ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

Has anyone successfully ordered a double scotch or other whisky?

For us that has been the norm.  I often ask for my nightcap scotch specifically as a "single ounce".  My husband once had to ask for more ice to add to his double or triple pour (he didn't request the overpour, it was delivered that way).  I should clarify that this was with the classic package.