New to Oceania and need advise on itinerary

oceanpark

We have done numerous cruises with Celebrity and are thinking of trying Oceania as we are ready for a smaller ship and the itinerary is perfect, except that the cruise is port intensive with only one sea day. The cruise is next October on the Riviera, Rome to Lisbon for twelve nights.  As the cost is considerable higher than we would normally pay,  I am concerned that with only one sea day we won’t have time to enjoy the ship.  I have also looked at a similar itinerary on Viking but it is even more money.  Our Canadian dollar is very low so this a factor.  Would it be better to do a less port intensive cruise for our first time on Oceania?

there are some very good promos for the carib that have replaced the cuba itineraries...a great getaway from winter and a good way to enjoy the ship...as the carib ports need very little time in them....

yes the MED is very port intensive...you will miss meals and activities, since the whole point of going to the med is to enjoy the ports....

just my opinion.....

If you want to enjoy the ship  then I would book a less port intensive cruise

Agree with Nancy  there are some good deals for this yr  for Caribbean  to do a tester cruise with O

Yes prices are more  but you get more included (I think) than Celebrity

But it is a trade off  ..maybe not as much do do onboard or cabins maybe be smaller than You are used to

only you can decide what is important to YOU

Shop around  you can find TA's that will  give prepaid gratuities  so that will save you some $

Enjoy

How about doing a TA on either Marina or Riviera as they are a little larger with more activities and more specialty restaurants.

Take a look at these:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/transatlantic-cruises/rome-to-miami-RVA201028/?sr=%2Fcruise-finder%2F%23sailDates%3D2020|10%2C2020|11%23destinations%3Dtransoceanic%23ships%3DRVA%2CMNA

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/transatlantic-cruises/barcelona-to-miami-MNA201121/?sr=%2Fcruise-finder%2F%23sailDates%3D2020|10%2C2020|11%23destinations%3Dtransoceanic%23ships%3DRVA%2CMNA

They will give you a little taste of the Med (especially if you spend some time pre-cruise) as well as plenty of sea days to enjoy the ship.

Also, TA voyages tend to be a little less expensive per diem.

Edited by Paulchili

31 minutes ago, oceanpark said:

We have done numerous cruises with Celebrity and are thinking of trying Oceania as we are ready for a smaller ship and the itinerary is perfect, except that the cruise is port intensive with only one sea day. The cruise is next October on the Riviera, Rome to Lisbon for twelve nights.  As the cost is considerable higher than we would normally pay,  I am concerned that with only one sea day we won’t have time to enjoy the ship.  I have also looked at a similar itinerary on Viking but it is even more money.  Our Canadian dollar is very low so this a factor.  Would it be better to do a less port intensive cruise for our first time on Oceania?

When you say "next October" do you mean October 2020?  If so, is that the October 4 sail date which is actually Athens to Lisbon.  Or is it the October 16 departure, which is actually Lisbon to Rome?

If you really would like more sea days, try the next cruise, a TA Rome to Miami, 16 days at a lower fare than the 12 day Lisbon to Rome, departing Rome on October 28.  Plenty of sea days, 7, to experience the ship.

1 hour ago, oceanpark said:

Would it be better to do a less port intensive cruise for our first time on Oceania?

I am baffled by your question, as YOU are in charge of how much or how little you do in each Port.

If you want more ship time, do less ashore.  If you get bored on the ship, spend more time in Port.

Something else is weather.   October, is the start of the rainy season in the Med, which may curtail your options..  

Edited by StanandJim

1 minute ago, StanandJim said:

October, is the start of the rainy season in the Med, which may curtail your options..

True. September or early Oct seem to be an ideal time to be in the Med,

Weather is nice (not as hot as July/August), rains are uncommon, school has started and there are fewer tourist and the shops are still open on the smaller islands - what more can one ask for 😀

3 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

True. September or early Oct seem to be an ideal time to be in the Med,

Weather is nice (not as hot as July/August), rains are uncommon, school has started and there are fewer tourist and the shops are still open on the smaller islands - what more can one ask for 😀

Great weather for Museum hopping

Not so great for lounging at the pool.

No Cruise can be all things to all people.

Does the OP have experience with sea days?  I ask because it took us several cruises to make us realize that we DO.  Before that we really wanted a new port every day.  Or at least a port every day ...

I also ask because many post here about not liking sea days whereas others like them!

I wasn't sure we'd like a TA but by the time we did we'd done a Buenos Aires-Santiago cruise that had a port, then a sea day, then a port ... you get the drift.  So we knew we'd enjoy the TA.

Also, even on a port intensive Med cruise you may find you are at a port where you really don't want to go on shore ... which would give you an opportunity to enjoy the ship (although there will be fewer activities than there would be on a real sea day).

Not an easy question to answer to everyone's satisfaction, that's for sure!

Mura

Our first O cruise was the Med in November, two years ago. Weather was fabulous and there were still plenty of tourists (if those were not crowds at the Vatican, I can't imagine the hell that is summer!!!).  As previously suggested, we skipped a port to enjoy the ship with fewer passengers around.  Great day to go to the spa and to have an outdoor lunch in the Terrace.

Since then, we've done two other O cruises and never feel obligated to do shore excursions in every port.  It's your vacation and you can do what you wish.  

SNY makes a VERY  good point.  A lot of cruisers (myself very much included) put tremendous pressure on ourselves to make the most of Every. Single. Port.  I really struggle with this.  Our O cruise last Oct/Nov was 21 days without a single sea day.  That cruise was a master class to me in learning how to pick ports were we schedule absolutely nothing, and plan on staying on the ship.

No one forces you to get off in every port.

Also there are some decent half-day-type excursions from a few of those ports.

I'd skip getting off in Gibraltar entirely, but if you want to see rocks/monkeys, half a day.

I have never been to Cartagena but on an upcoming Az cruise, they've chopped our port time way back--might not be too much there.

If you're not leaving town, Marseille is a half day or less if you just want to look around.

Palermo proper is as much or as little time as you want. (I would get out to Cefalu, but never mind.)

Pompeii is half a day in Naples. 

Etc. 

If it's Cartagena Spain I would get off there. I took a great Free walking tour there. Also fun shopping there. Personally I would give a little more than a 1/2 day for Pompeii, but I like to linger.

Palermo, seemed to be just another crowded dirty town. Apparently I went to the wrong place or need to get out of the city to enjoy it. 

3 hours ago, ORV said:

Palermo, seemed to be just another crowded dirty town. Apparently I went to the wrong place or need to get out of the city to enjoy it. 

Yes, Palermo can be "gritty" but according to a number of travel publications, it is improving.    There are some wonderful things to see in Palermo:

- Capella Palatina and the Cathedral in Monreale have incredible mosaics.  Like standing inside jewel boxes.

- Teatro Massimo has tours - interesting theatre, good tour.

- there is a marionette museum https://www.museodellemarionette.it/index.php?lang=en - showcasing puppets from countries around the world.  Amazing collection, and there are puppet shows, too.

- the street market is an experience.   

Probably best to arrange for a guide to enable your touring so you don't have to walk = too much distance, and you can avoid some of the earthiness of Palermo.    We walked all over (except for a driver to take us to Monreale), but we had a couple of days here.  

• Like 1

Palermo was the highlight of our Med cruise two years ago; because we took a wonderful street food walking food tour with Marco.  We saw the important landmarks, learned about the history of the city and sampled wonderful & interesting local foods in a group of twelve.  Highly recommend!!!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I don’t mind sea days as long as there aren’t too many.  Was on a cruise with four consecutive sea days and was not a big fan.  Next October is a big birthday for my husband and I want to plan a nice trip, but am reluctant to spend $5,600 Canadian per person on a twelve day cruise.

I have the Marina booked for next June 26, a 10 day Baltic cruise with no sea days. Because of this I booked an inside cabin. I plan to enjoy the ship in the morning before getting off and late afternoon, evening and dinner after returning.  For me , sea days are boring. I did a 12 day Med cruise on Riviera with only 1 sea day, Barcelona to Venice. It was great. It was the first time on an O class ship and I didn't miss out on any shipboard experiences 

3 hours ago, oceanpark said:

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I don’t mind sea days as long as there aren’t too many.  Was on a cruise with four consecutive sea days and was not a big fan.  Next October is a big birthday for my husband and I want to plan a nice trip, but am reluctant to spend $5,600 Canadian per person on a twelve day cruise.

Is that including the air  & O Life perks ?

8 hours ago, oceanpark said:

Price is for cruise only.  We do our own air.

If  the price is out of your budget maybe look for  a different sailing  if you want to experience O & the ship itself with a few ports thrown in

AFAIK all cruise lines  are all in USD  so the exchange rate thing will always be there  for us

At least  on O you can pay the cruise in CAD if you want

Would you consider a transatlantic ?

There is one in Nov 2020  a bit less than the Med one you were looking at

You do get more bang for your buck on main stream lines  but you also get more people

it is  a trade off

Enjoy whatever cruise you choose

Look at Barcelona-Venice Oct. 18 on Nautica. It is half the price of the cruise you are looking Oct. 16 if you go for an outside.$2699 USD pp. without O Life. You won't need a balcony at this time of year, too cold. There is only one sea day and all the other sailing is done overnight. I did this almost the same itinerary 2 years ago on Riviera and it was a great cruise. We spent 2 nights in Barcelona pre cruise.

Edited by susiesan

On 8/8/2019 at 3:02 PM, oceanpark said:

To me....yes..  I love sea days however.       To take a port intensive  cruise will deprive you of about 50% of your awake time to enjoy the ship.   

The port intensive will also mean more crowded conditions as most all passengers will leave the ship and return all around the same time.  All tired and all hungry.  and wanting rest for the next days adventure..  Everyone  jockeying for the same slots at the same times.  

Everyone wanting to be in the same places the same time.   

I would look at a trans-atlantic with 70% of the cruise sea days and 30% port days.... paced 2 to 4 days apart.    In this way you can get to know the ship better, and savor it. and take advantage of all the wonderful features that you would be just too darn tired,to take advantage of.....   It will also be a lot cheaper in both air fare.

So.....I would not pick that sort of cruise    Why not a Canada to Miami ?