First timer

CruisingViv

Hello!

This is my first cruise.  

What are the internal cabins like? Do you miss a port hole? 

I’m travelling from Southampton to Rome.  Anyone here going on a trip around Rome before going to the airport? My flight back to London on the 10th Nov is 1610.  

Thank you. Viv 

1 hour ago, CruisingViv said:

Hello!

This is my first cruise.  

I’m travelling from Southampton to Rome.  Anyone here going on a trip around Rome before going to the airport? My flight back to London on the 10th Nov is 1610.  

Thank you. Viv 

Welcome to Cruise Critic. IMHO, the difference between an inside and a porthole is minimal - don't think I would notice. You would notice the difference between an inside and balcony.

The Med cruises are very port intensive - we use our rooms as a place to sleep. We are off the ship early in the morning (as soon as the ship docks) and return to the ship just before all aboard as we want to maximize our time in port. We spend very little time in our staterooms. For us, a cruise is all about the itinerary, not the ship.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We always book balcony/verandah cabins so that as we are prepping for the morning we can go outside and watch our approach to the ports.  It is also a great place to sit and watch as you leave the port.

You need to give us the name of the ship so that we can get you to your Roll Call where you can meet other people on your cruise.

If you are in an interior cabin, your television might have a channel that shows the forward view from the ship.  Sometimes we leave it on this channel overnight, sound muted, so we get a sense of morning light, and what the weather is.

Personally, I prefer an oceanview over a balcony, but an interior is just fine, especially if you are sailing mainly for the ports.

• Like 1

Princess may offer a transfer to the airport that includes a tour (very basic) of Rome.  Likely it wouldn't include a visit to the Vatican...You might ask on the Princess board here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/119-princess-cruises/  to see if anyone has experience with this.  You might also do some reading on the ROLL CALL for your cruise.  Unfortunately, you are only doing the first ten days of the 37 day voyage, but some reading there might be helpful.  It seems to have been very active, so you might start at the last page and read backward - at your leisure...

I have sailed in balcony, ocean view, port hole and inside cabins.  I cruise for itinerary and price.  No, I have never missed not having a window into the outside.  I find I'm not often in the cabin.  There are so many activities all over the ship, no need for sitting in the cabin to watch tv.  Inside cabins are great they are nice and dark and I sleep amazingly well. 

I wouldn't second guess your descision to stay in an inside  they are the most inexpensive way to travel, save that money for the balcony upgrade and use it on your shore excursions or drinks of the day!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CruisingViv said:

Hello!

This is my first cruise.  

Thank you. Viv 

Welcome to cruise critic and thanks for rekindling memories of the good old days of opening port-holes and wind scoops. Might not miss sailing through the tropics with hot, moist & salty air getting pulled into the cabin through the porthole, but it brings back nostalgic memories.

Been in a number of interior cabins on the Diamond/Sapphire & other Grand class and we never had an issue. The cabin is our bedroom & public spaces our living space.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, CruisingViv said:

...  Anyone here going on a trip around Rome before going to the airport? My flight back to London on the 10th Nov is 1610...

12 hours ago, CruisingViv said:

... Anyone on a Rome trip on 10th November which takes us to the airport? For a 1610 flight?... 

Howdy Viv and welcome to Cruise Critic! 👍

Congratulations on going on your first cruise! I feel you will fall in love ❤️ with cruising just like the rest of us here.

As Essiesmom mentions above, go to the ROLL CALL thread for your cruise at https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2505777-october-31st-2019-southampton-to-singapore-37-day-grand-adventure/ and get to know your fellow Cruise Critic members sailing with you.  Your ROLL CALL thread is the ONLY place on the Cruise Critic message boards where you can discuss sharing shore excursions/tours, transportation, etc. with the others sailing with you. When you have a chance, be sure and read What is a Roll Call? Everything you Need to Know at https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2594924-what-is-a-roll-call-everything-you-need-to-know/.

I sincerely hope this information will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic!! 😊

Kat 🐱

• Like 2

On 8/11/2019 at 4:58 PM, Sauer-kraut said:

I have sailed in balcony, ocean view, port hole and inside cabins.  I cruise for itinerary and price.  No, I have never missed not having a window into the outside.  I find I'm not often in the cabin.  There are so many activities all over the ship, no need for sitting in the cabin to watch tv.  Inside cabins are great they are nice and dark and I sleep amazingly well. 

I wouldn't second guess your descision to stay in an inside  they are the most inexpensive way to travel, save that money for the balcony upgrade and use it on your shore excursions or drinks of the day!

I'd agree. Internals are very dark at night. We leave the bathroom light on, and prop it open an inch or so so you don't stub your toe visiting the bathroom at night.

They are fine for port- intensive cruises, where all you do is sleep, shower and change.

Bear in mind though they are smaller so you have less space to move around in.

On 8/11/2019 at 1:24 AM, CruisingViv said:

Hello!

This is my first cruise.  

Thank you. Viv 

Enjoy that first cruise and the amazing ports!

Enjoy in your crazy good deal, enjoy time outside, on deck and take that savings and apply it to a fine beverage or great meal in port, you won't miss that view one big!

Go to the ports of call to get information on ports/activities here:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2-ports-of-call/

If you want to meet fellow cruisers take a mosey as another poster said to the roll-calls forums.

Edited by chipmaster
  • Like 1

Hi Viv,

Congrats for joining the cruising life!  

I love it when I have a balcony. Nothing beats a cup of coffee or a glass of wine on the balcony. Having said this, I do not always book an outside cabin. It depends on how much the price difference is. If its minimal, pay a little extra. But if the price difference is a little too big, go for the inside cabin. There are always open public areas where you can enjoy the view. Also double check the amenities per cabin category. Sometimes you get a little extra with an upgraded suite, which makes the total price difference minimal. 

And in my opinion, the outside cabin with only a window and no balcony are the same as interior cabin.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JerryFinn said:

Hi! We are also going to our first cruise. It will be Baltic and we’ve signed with NCL. We’ve decided for an oceanview cabin as my DW refused even think about internal cabins. Now we are discussing possibility to upgrade it to a balcony cabin. Does it have any sense taking in consideration we going to Baltic not Med? Yes, the difference in price is not big but will we need it at all? Thank you for the help.

That depends on when you're going. The Baltic can be cool at the best of times, so would you really sit out? Additionally, Baltic cruises tend to be port-intensive, with few sea days, so you need to think about how much use you would really get from your balcony.

Some folk like to stand on their balcony to watch arrival/tie up - is this you?

8 hours ago, JerryFinn said:

One more question. Which cabin/deck/location will be better fit for us in terms of seasickness? My DW suffers from seasickness. It will be our first cruise and I don’t know how serios the problem will be. Thank you all for your advices.

Lower decks (4, 5) in the middle will be more stable, but you will be farther away from all the upper deck restaurants and activities.

You will be very busy with all those ports of call, have you booked your St Petersburg excursions?  Look into the PORTS OF CALL boards for EUROPE  for ideas on each port.   Warndemunde is easy to do on your own as is Talinn.  I would not book any NCL excursion as they can be very expnsive, you'r ebetter off booking your own.

JOIN YOUR ROLL CALL you will beet others on your sailing and some people are always looking to fill a van on a private tour and you can really save money that way.

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 3:24 AM, CruisingViv said:

... I’m travelling from Southampton to Rome.  Anyone here going on a trip around Rome before going to the airport? My flight back to London on the 10th Nov is 1610...

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 5:49 AM, CruisingViv said:

... Anyone on a Rome trip on 10th November which takes us to the airport? For a 1610 flight?...

8 hours ago, CruisingViv said:

Anyone going on a trip around Rome on the 10th October and go to the airport for 3pm ish?...

Howdy again Viv!  emo32.gif

Please remember the only place where a Cruise Critic member may post an "advertisement" or share request on shore tours/excursions, transportation, etc. for before/after/during their cruise is in the specific Roll Call thread for their cruise. In your case, that is the October 31st, 2019, Southampton to Singapore, 37 day Grand Adventure  Sapphire Princess Roll Call thread where you have posted before.

Be sure to read the Roll Calls section in the Guidelines and What is a Roll Call? Everything you Need to Know for very important information concerning the Cruise Critic Roll Call threads.

Thanking you in advance for your cooperation and happy sails! emo22.gif

Kat 🐱

The Old Town in Tallinn is easily walkable from the cruise terminal. It's gorgeous, very middle-European. Signposts are accurate and in Cyrillic and western script, so you can't really get lost. It can get crowded, especially if more than one ship is in, and they do have a pickpocket problem.

20180506_115804.jpg

20180506_120349.jpg

We just walked it. The Old Town streets are narrow anyway so on a cruise tour you would end up walking.

We were approached by a salesman for the Hop on Hop off bus. The Old Town is on a hill, easily visible from the quayside. We said we'd just walk - the ticket sales guy said it would take between 45 minutes and an hour

We didn't believe him, and set off. Took us 20 minutes or so.

There are maps on notice boards all over the old town with several viewpoints marked.  You can happily spend a few hours just meandering round. No worries about being late back on board, it's not too far 

20180506_122605.jpg

20180506_124242.jpg

20180506_123557.jpg

Edited by Sancho_proudfoot
Typo
  • Like 2

Oh such nice pictures!!  I remember walking around when we were there. Same kind of weather, just beautiful.

We also noticed the Hop-on-Hop-off busses but we had booked our tour already with a local tour agent. When we were looking at arranging a private tour of St Petersburg with Anastasia travel, Katharina mentioned that they could also arrange tours in other Baltic cities. (and offer a discount). We are not really fond of the tours that you can book at the cruise lines. Prefer to book local. We had so much fun with the tour guide, he knew so much. .

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 3:24 AM, CruisingViv said:

Hello!

This is my first cruise.  

Thank you. Viv 

I love interior rooms, your not in the room much anyway and best sleep ever!