Decline in food standards on Sirena. Poor bar service.

welshfamily

We were on Marina in November with 2 other couples.  Together we have more than 40 cruises on Oceania.  We all agreed that the food on that cruise was perhaps the best we have ever had on Oceania (it is not always the best food at sea, I agree).  The chef was from Paris.  Every food venue was perfection.  We have rarely, if ever, experienced perfection in every venue.

Every cruise is different and the Executive Chef makes a HUGE difference.

• Like 1

Ricka47;

Your comments accurately reflect what was often repeated aboard the Nautica, which I just left.

First, I haven’t accepted that the standards of the food has declined, ie the quality of the prepared food. What has declined significantly is the preparation of that food. Two specific areas come to mind. First, a full array of tasteless sauces, gravies, soups, and dishes stripped bare of elemental seasoning. As an example, I remember a table guest roaring at the help because the coq de vin “ tasted like chicken boiled in a tasteless broth! Where were the original herbs the menu stated were therein?” In two different venues, on two occasions we had staff tell us “ most guests are requesting that the foods be made more simply and then guests can season to taste. “ More simply equaled bland and most of the missing flavors don’t come from a shaker on the table or a bottle of tobasco! There is on going battle between those guests that do prefer and demand perfectly bland food and those of us that prefer the traditional flavors of the dishes. I don’t see this ebbing when you are seated with someone that demands no salt, no sugar, no gluten, no milk products etc! 

Second issue was overcooked meats and seafood. Long story short, the ship is getting prepackaged steaks and chops already semi cooked often to medium rare. They then finalize them for serving. If it starts mr it will be at best medium when it hits the table, often medium well. To nights in the PGand everyone’s prime rib or steak was overdone from their order. A very elderly lady in the GDR ordered her steak rare one night. When it came she said “ medium just the way I like it”! I asked had she not ordered it rare. She said she ordered rare so maybe she could get it medium.

There has been a noticeable cut back in staff. Slower service overall especially with the beverage service. Wine stewards were a scarcity!

I would like to specify where this was the worst. The Terrace Cafe has issues! We had inclement weather for a large portion of our cruise. This meant the veranda in the cafe was always closed. Also, at 39 degrees F, no one was eating in Waves. Because of the late opening of the GDR, everyone was in the Terrace! Tables were at a premium and there wasn’t enough wait staff. TBC!

5 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Long story short, the ship is getting prepackaged steaks and chops already semi cooked often to medium rare.

Is this a proven fact or an assumption on your part. What is your proof?

It doesn’t take very long to cook a steak to medium rare - not worth saving this time by precooking and then freezing it IMO.

21 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Is this a proven fact or an assumption on your part. What is your proof?

It doesn’t take very long to cook a steak to medium rare - not worth saving this time by precooking and then freezing it IMO.

I believe the waiters exact words were partially prepared. They are not raw. Typically for restaurant services this means medium rare, even though O could be getting something different .

10 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I believe the waiters exact words were partially prepared. They are not raw. Typically for restaurant services this means medium rare, even though O could be getting something different .

I will try to investigate this from sources I trust.

Wouldn’t pre-cooked steaks cost more than raw ones? Somebody has to pay for this “service”. If so, multiplied by millions of steaks that Oceania uses this would be a significant (and unnecessary) expense for Oceania IMO.

Edited by Paulchili

To continue the issue in the Terrace Cafe. The lack, probably shortage, of staffing meant that contrary to past practices it is now a rarity for staff to carry a cruiser’s plate to their table. There were a lot of passengers that shouldn’t be going through a buffet line then attempting to carry a plate , in very crowded and tight conditions especially if the seas were bumpy! Food getting spilled on the floor or other tables, it was a mess! Two fold issue:1. Some people refuse to acknowledge their lack of mobility. They should never have sit at a two top at a window where they had to navigate the crowd to their table. 2. No longer sufficient staff to carry their plates as in the past.

4 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I will try to investigate this from sources I trust.

Paul;

I too would like to hear that reply! It was our waiter’s reply on why the steaks and chops where typically over cooked when we ordered them medium rare.

17 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

To continue the issue in the Terrace Cafe. The lack, probably shortage, of staffing meant that contrary to past practices it is now a rarity for staff to carry a cruiser’s plate to their table. There were a lot of passengers that shouldn’t be going through a buffet line then attempting to carry a plate , in very crowded and tight conditions especially if the seas were bumpy! Food getting spilled on the floor or other tables, it was a mess! Two fold issue:1. Some people refuse to acknowledge their lack of mobility. They should never have sit at a two top at a window where they had to navigate the crowd to their table. 2. No longer sufficient staff to carry their plates as in the past.

Somehow I get a feeling from your recent posts that you are now ready for a new cruise line? 😀

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Somehow I get a feeling from your posts that you are now ready for a new cruise line 😀

Paul;

We are currently booked on two future Oceania cruises of 20 days each. We want the itinerary of each. After that we’ll see.

Common discussion on board was the perceived decline in food. Several long term O cruisers that have started sailing other lines said that even though Oceania’s food is still better, it is no longer better enough to justify the differential in costs to other lines like Viking.

As with most all of our cruises, the best food we had on the cruise was ashore.

Between Oceania and Uniworld we are booked through 2021. We have to find another line for that circum of Japan any way, so we’ll see what the future holds!🍷

Edited by pinotlover

41 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I too would like to hear that reply! It was our waiter’s reply on why the steaks and chops where typically over cooked when we ordered them medium rare.

I do not know why the waiter said what he said but I have it from THE most reliable source that the steaks do NOT come pre-cooked.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I do not know why the waiter said what he said but I have it from THE most reliable source that the steaks do NOT come pre-cooked.

maybe they are precooked  before dinner service begins  not when they are delivered to the ship ??

could be lost in the translation 😉

42 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Between Oceania and Uniworld we are booked through 2021. We have to find another line for that circum of Japan any way, so we’ll see what the future holds!🍷

Why put up with an  inferior  cruise 

why wait  just cancel Oceania & book something  more to your liking

check Princess for July 2020  for Japan  15 days

22 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Thanks! Good to know. 

It is my understanding that both FDR and Mr. Binder are “foodies” and the last thing they would want to change on Oceania is the food quality.

Best food at sea is their motto and that is mostly what gave Oceania its niche - why would they want to change that?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Why put up with an  inferior  cruise 

why wait  just cancel Oceania & book something  more to your liking

check Princess for July 2020  for Japan  15 days

LOL

Jancruz1

Have a friend that raves about Tauck, they’ve done three of their cruises. Another cruiser on a previous thread here recommended them for the Japan cruise like wise. Probably the way we’ll go. Thanks for the Princess recommendation.

Paul;

If the steaks and chops not precooked, at some point, why was getting them cooked to order repeatedly so difficult?

1. Poor management in the kitchen, or;

2.  Sitting under the warming lights to long and continuing to cook awaiting table delivery, or;

3. Both?

It is my understanding that both FDR and Mr. Binder are “foodies” and the last thing they would want to change on Oceania is the food quality.

Best food at sea is their motto and that is mostly what gave Oceania its niche - why would they want to change that?

To save money!  

2 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Have a friend that raves about Tauck, they’ve done three of their cruises. Another cruiser on a previous thread here recommended them for the Japan cruise like wise. Probably the way we’ll go. Thanks for the Princess recommendation.

Azamara  also do the Japan itin

I did not think you liked  included tours on buses ??

On 8/19/2019 at 12:26 PM, londonlad35 said:

Just off Insignia. We hadn’t read this thread but throughout the week felt there were not enough staff on duty : for us it felt that too few sommeliers meant waiting for drinks, same around the pool and agree on the menu / food change this time round with menus where for me I felt it was difficult to choose something to eat : not the Oceania I remember of just a few years ago.

We were on the same sailing, but it was our first Oceania cruise so we have nothing to compare it to. We did think most of the food was rather bland and needed more salt and pepper. We felt the dining room menu was very limited, while the specialty restaurants had too many choices. We ate once in the dining room and each of the restaurants and the rest at the Terrace. After we figured out how the Terrace worked, we were more than happy to have our dinners there. We just wish the layout was different. Having the same things on both sides and then meeting in the middle created a log jam because everyone then had to leave the area. It would be better if the entrance was only on one side or if the spacing between the food lines was bigger. Compared to other cruise lines we have sailed, there was more than enough staff for us. I prefer to go and get our drinks and get to know the bartenders vs. waiting for someone to come and take our order. Overall we were very happy once we adjusted and have already booked another cruise with Oceania.

I seem to be on an Oceania roll today, as I don't post that much.  But.... I have to say last year on Marina I found it was consistently a challenge to get a glass of wine at lunch, and frequently a challenge at dinner. This was becuase there were too few"Sommeliers" that could complete the task, trying to cover too much real estate.

Years ago, this was also the case for Seabourn (2006- 2012) but they changed their protocol to allow waiters to fill/refill wine glasses this is no longer the case.  No, you don't get good advice on what they are pouring that night for what your entree is... but you WILL get wine with dinner now in a timely fashion.  And yes, I know it's all inclusive, but there has to be a better way for O to manage this without doubling the number of "sommeliers" on board.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

I seem to be on an Oceania roll today, as I don't post that much.  But.... I have to say last year on Marina I found it was consistently a challenge to get a glass of wine at lunch, and frequently a challenge at dinner. This was becuase there were too few"Sommeliers" that could complete the task, trying to cover too much real estate.

Years ago, this was also the case for Seabourn (2006- 2012) but they changed their protocol to allow waiters to fill/refill wine glasses this is no longer the case.  No, you don't get good advice on what they are pouring that night for what your entree is... but you WILL get wine with dinner now in a timely fashion.  And yes, I know it's all inclusive, but there has to be a better way for O to manage this without doubling the number of "sommeliers" on board.

Yes, letting the folks who get your soda or water pour the wine of the day would be a great start. It's good enough for Olive Garden. 

You know, re-reading my posts from today on this board, I come off as really petulant - which is unfortunate and not a good indicator of my satisfaction level.  I very much love the Oceania product, and if finances and my way permitted I'd be cruising with them more than we already are.

I think if you have a bottle of wine  the regular waiters should be able to pour you a top up & not have to wait  for a wine waiter

If you are just ordering wine then maybe you want  a wine waiter to give you  what choices you might like with your meal

I just order what I like  & am not sophisticated enough to care what wine goes with what😎

The regular waiter can fill your water glass or get coffee/tea probably sodas 

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

I think if you have a bottle of wine  the regular waiters should be able to pour you a top up & not have to wait  for a wine waiter

If you are just ordering wine then maybe you want  a wine waiter to give you  what choices you might like with your meal

I just order what I like  & am not sophisticated enough to care what wine goes with what😎

The regular waiter can fill your water glass or get coffee/tea probably sodas 

Hi LHT28!

Im confused 🤷‍♀️? We have 2 cruises with O next March April first time with O. Our reason to change over is being with HAL 

as 4 Star Mariners a lot is declining over the past 10 years! A lot of nickel and dimming!  We opted for the beverage package which we are going to pay extra for so we can enjoy all the great wines and cocktails! Are we needing to go to Waves Bar or Martinis to bring in a glass of wine? Sounds like we will sit and have no service at Terrace Grille because the wait staff is limited. Will be on Riviera.

Thanks.

Denise😊