Decline in food standards on Sirena. Poor bar service.

welshfamily

16 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Are we needing to go to Waves Bar or Martinis to bring in a glass of wine? Sounds like we will sit and have no service at Terrace Grille because the wait staff is limited. Will be on Riviera.

Thanks.

Denise😊

sorry cannot help here

We will buy a bottle of wine at dinner in the GDR or Specialties  but most of time they pour you  a glass then come back later to pour another if wanted from your bottle 

Sometimes they have left the bottle on the table  so we could pour our own top up

Not sure if the package  deal is good or not but from some here it sounds like a challenge

We have gone to HH in the Grand bar & taken or the waiter has taken our second drink to the GDR with us

if you have a problem speak to the  Maitre'd or GM  early in the cruise so they can address the issue

JMO

5 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

sorry cannot help here

We will buy a bottle of wine at dinner in the GDR or Specialties  but most of time they pour you  a glass then come back later to pour another if wanted from your bottle 

Sometimes they have left the bottle on the table  so we could pour our own top up

Not sure if the package  deal is good or not but from some here it sounds like a challenge

We have gone to HH in the Grand bar & taken or the waiter has taken our second drink to the GDR with us

if you have a problem speak to the  Maitre'd or GM  early in the cruise so they can address the issue

JMO

Thank you!!

we are going to pay the difference so we can have the beverages package all day instead of lunch and dinner.

Denise😊

4 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Thank you!!

we are going to pay the difference so we can have the beverages package all day instead of lunch and dinner.

Denise😊

If you drink cocktails/spirits   then that is a good idea

I might have 2 drinks a day so not worth it for us 😉

Enjoy

Deeni, I would say.... just take the issue under advisement.  We last sailed on HAL in 2017.  After two nights in the MDR, in which it was virtually impossible to get a glass of wine, we vowed not to darken their MDR door again and we didn't.

It wasn't that bad on O.  But that's not to say it wasn't noticeable.  If you notice it, then by all means get a drink/glass in one of the bars (where we found service to be quite good) before dinner and bring it to the GDR.

Nothing is perfect, and this is one aspect I/we felt they could improve.  It in no way spoiled the overall experience.😁

3 hours ago, wripro said:

To save money!  

Henry,

That sounds like a good reason on the surface but if this were to result in an exodus of the loyal base - as some here are already contemplating - then it might not be such a good idea on the long run?

17 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

Deeni, I would say.... just take the issue under advisement.  We last sailed on HAL in 2017.  After two nights in the MDR, in which it was virtually impossible to get a glass of wine, we vowed not to darken their MDR door again and we didn't.

It wasn't that bad on O.  But that's not to say it wasn't noticeable.  If you notice it, then by all means get a drink/glass in one of the bars (where we found service to be quite good) before dinner and bring it to the GDR.

Nothing is perfect, and this is one aspect I/we felt they could improve.  It in no way spoiled the overall experience.😁

🥰 That makes me happy to know!

we are in a PH and I know we will enjoy all the specialty restaurants and was told our Butler can even get us pre drinks in our room if we would like. I really enjoyed The Pinnacle Grille on HAL and your right in 12 cruises with HAL we have only done MDR once and that was enough!

I so appreciate the input everyone here has given to me with all of my questions 👍Denise😊

5 hours ago, Kate-AHF said:

Years ago, this was also the case for Seabourn (2006- 2012) but they changed their protocol to allow waiters to fill/refill wine glasses this is no longer the case.  No, you don't get good advice on what they are pouring that night for what your entree is... but you WILL get wine with dinner now in a timely fashion.  And yes, I know it's all inclusive, but there has to be a better way for O to manage this without doubling the number of "sommeliers" on board.

On Azamara the waiters also fill & refill wine glasses. It works quite well. We never had an issue with waiting for wine service.

I don't like the idea of waiting for a sommelier the way we did on Celebrity.

I guess if wine service is slow we will grab a glass at another bar on the way and bring it with us to the GDR, hoping that the refill service will be OK.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pinotlover said:

To continue the issue in the Terrace Cafe. The lack, probably shortage, of staffing meant that contrary to past practices it is now a rarity for staff to carry a cruiser’s plate to their table. There were a lot of passengers that shouldn’t be going through a buffet line then attempting to carry a plate , in very crowded and tight conditions especially if the seas were bumpy! Food getting spilled on the floor or other tables, it was a mess! Two fold issue:1. Some people refuse to acknowledge their lack of mobility. They should never have sit at a two top at a window where they had to navigate the crowd to their table. 2. No longer sufficient staff to carry their plates as in the past.

These 2 points above and several others are why we avoid the Terrace Cafe for dinner and often for lunch as well.  We can schlep our food at the local cafeteria (no thank you).  We so much prefer being served in a civilized fashion. 

You may complain and gritch about others but they paid for their cruise just like you and me.  O marketing may try to sell Terrace Cafe at night as fine dining and you may find yourself expecting it.  It has a "cooked to order station" within a glorified cafeteria.  The Grand Dining Room eliminates your "two fold issue".  Everyone, regardless of mobility, is seated and there are more than enough waiters to carry the plates.

Katie

• Like 2

They were still helping PAX  in April on the  TA

I try to avoid the Terrace for dinner

with the outside decks closed for part of the cruise  it was very bad for any meals  up there  & Waves was not open  due to snow

22 hours ago, Paulchili said:

It is my understanding that both FDR and Mr. Binder are “foodies” and the last thing they would want to change on Oceania is the food quality.

Best food at sea is their motto and that is mostly what gave Oceania its niche - why would they want to change that?

They don´want to change it they have already changed it! To have the motto "the best food at sea" just don´t work if you do changes like they have done.

43 minutes ago, Winters Gate said:

They don´want to change it they have already changed it! To have the motto "the best food at sea" just don´t work if you do changes like they have done.

I will certainly agree that you are entitled to your opinion but at the same time it is just that - your personal opinion.

By the same token others are entitled to their opinion - like bitob in post #51 above:;

We were on Marina in November with 2 other couples.  Together we have more than 40 cruises on Oceania.  We all agreed that the food on that cruise was perhaps the best we have ever had on Oceania (it is not always the best food at sea, I agree).  The chef was from Paris.  Every food venue was perfection.  We have rarely, if ever, experienced perfection in every venue.

Every cruise is different and the Executive Chef makes a HUGE difference.

It so happens that one of the couples bitob mentions in the post are very close personal friends of ours and have told us independently after their cruise that “this was the best food they’ve had on Oceania” in their 20+ cruises.

Granted - they were on a different cruise from yours but who is right about Oceania’s current food - you (and others like you) or them?

These are both personal and therefore subjective opinions.

Time will tell how the majority of seasoned O cruisers will report about their opinions on the food as compared to the past - included our personal opinion on our 3 upcoming cruises next year.

As it should be in all democracies, the majority rules and wise consumers will eventually speak with their wallets one way or another. 😊

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, wripro said:

How about then...Oceania, the finest cuisine at sea....on some sailings, on others not so much!

Maybe they could just drop  the saying altogether   same with the 2 for 1  marketing

• Like 1

On my report for our February  FP cruise, I gave glowing reports on the food we had on the Marina. Glowing! My major complaint on that cruise was the near impossibility of getting adult beverage service in the Terrace. Solved that problem by not going to the Terrace for lunch or dinner anymore. 

The food on the Nautica on this cruise was nowhere near the standards we had seen on the February cruise. As stated above maybe it’s the chef or other factors but something was definitely not up to prior standards. 

The absolute O cheerleaders here seem to go beserk if anything negative is said! How many posters here have reported on the difficulties with wine service in the Terrace? It doesn’t matter the numbers because some will stay in denial of the issue!

We had a very enjoyable cruise. The ports were all great. We had to miss the two scheduled Greenland ports, but a totally new Greenland port was substituted plus an extra day in Reykjavik which worked out perfectly for us. The mentioned food issues were disappointing, but not a spoiler. We certainly didn’t starve 😂! We sailed for the ports and they delivered! We are looking forward to our next two O cruises because of the itinerary and ports. One is on the Sirena, which we have never sailed, and am looking forward to having the Red Ginger and Tuscan Steak arrangement as a change of pace. Our other cruise is on our favorite ship the Marina.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wripro said:

How about then...Oceania, the finest cuisine at sea....on some sailings, on others not so much!

Or as someone mentioned.   Oceania cuisine -- the way Royal Caribbean and Celebrity were 15 years ago..

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

On my report for our February  FP cruise, I gave glowing reports on the food we had on the Marina. Glowing! My major complaint on that cruise was the near impossibility of getting adult beverage service in the Terrace. Solved that problem by not going to the Terrace for lunch or dinner anymore. 

I wonder how quickly you'd get their attention if you took your own bottle of wine and two glasses out there and just started pouring your own......

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Paulchili said:

I will certainly agree that you are entitled to your opinion but at the same time it is just that - your personal opinion.

By the same token others are entitled to their opinion - like bitob in post #51 above:;

We were on Marina in November with 2 other couples.  Together we have more than 40 cruises on Oceania.  We all agreed that the food on that cruise was perhaps the best we have ever had on Oceania (it is not always the best food at sea, I agree).  The chef was from Paris.  Every food venue was perfection.  We have rarely, if ever, experienced perfection in every venue.

Every cruise is different and the Executive Chef makes a HUGE difference.

It so happens that one of the couples bitob mentions in the post are very close personal friends of ours and have told us independently after their cruise that “this was the best food they’ve had on Oceania” in their 20+ cruises.

Granted - they were on a different cruise from yours but who is right about Oceania’s current food - you (and others like you) or them?

These are both personal and therefore subjective opinions.

Time will tell how the majority of seasoned O cruisers will report about their opinions on the food as compared to the past - included our personal opinion on our 3 upcoming cruises next year.

As it should be in all democracies, the majority rules and wise consumers will eventually speak with their wallets one way or another. 😊

Well it might be my opinion if I like a dish or not, BUT it´s not my opinion that the menus in the GDR is very limited compare to what it was before, it´s not my opinion that at teatime the trolly with sweets now is combined with the sandwiches and as a result of that have much fewer choises, it´s not my opinion that the GDR and Terrace menues don´t have the high quality ingredients as before, it´s not my opinion that there are fewer bar waiters in Martinis, it´s not my opinion that the GDR is closed 8 out of 10 days for lunch instead  of open 8 and closed 2 days and so on..... These are all facts and corporate decision to cut corners and save money, not personal opinions.

But as you say the consumers will speak with their wallet and we will to, But I feel sad because the Oceania we learned to know was just a perfect match to us.

Edited by Winters Gate

On 8/27/2019 at 2:38 PM, ORV said:

Yes, letting the folks who get your soda or water pour the wine of the day would be a great start. It's good enough for Olive Garden. 

That is one of those "fixes" which sounds great in theory, but has a  huge potential downside.

How many of us have had a great  glass of wine ruined ruined by a well meaning but inexperienced waiter who refilled the glass from the wrong bottle?

The process becomes exponentially more difficult when couples are sharing a table, but not their wine. 

13 minutes ago, Winters Gate said:

Well it might be my opinion if I like a dish or not, BUT it´s not my opinion that the menus in the GDR is very limited compare to what it was before, it´s not my opinion that at teatime the trolly with sweets now is combined with the sandwiches and as a result of that have much fewer choises, it´s not my opinion that the GDR and Terrace menues don´t have the high quality ingredients as before, it´s not my opinion that there are fewer bar waiters in Martinis, it´s not my opinion that the GDR is closed 8 out of 10 days for lunch instead  of open 8 and closed 2 days and so on..... These are all facts and corporate decision to cut corners and save money, not personal opinions.

But as you say the consumers will speak with their wallet and we will to, But I feel sad because the Oceania we learned to know was just a perfect match to us.

I respect your opinion and you should follow your heart (or your maybe head?) 😊

12 minutes ago, Winters Gate said:

The problem is that our hearts is with Oceania but our heads tells us it would be wise to move on 😫😀

Flip a coin? 😀

I think you should explore other options - we have (Crystal, Seabourn, Silversea, Viking Ocean). All were very good and each had some points that were actually better than on Oceania but when the overall experience was considered (food, service, cabin, fellow passengers, cost, our preferences & likes, perks, etc, etc), O still suited US best (even though it no longer is the Oceania we first cruised on in 2006).

That said, it might change in the future depending on what our future experiences on Oceania will be.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Winters Gate said:

The problem is that our hearts is with Oceania but our heads tells us it would be wise to move on 😫😀

if you are not happy with the  new menus/food/wines/service   then you are not really happy with Oceania

try another line 

We are trying another line  not because  of any of the above  we just want a change of the same old same old

We still like Oceania

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

I wonder how quickly you'd get their attention if you took your own bottle of wine and two glasses out there and just started pouring your own......

Dont think it hasn’t crossed my mind based on some of these reviews

• Like 1