Disembarking Budapest

RTLS

Our Sept/Oct. river cruise ends in Budapest. I understand that staff on the ship will order a taxi to the airport for us (we are 3 adults) and I plan on asking them to do that. I'm wondering whether I will need Hungarian forints to pay for the cab and approximately how much that may cost.

Does anyone know whether the Forints are used in small denominations  or whether we would need only 500 or 1000HUF.?

I think I read a suggestion to wait until we are in Budapest and then get a small amount at an ATM. Opinions on that would be appreciated.

Thanks

On re -reading my original message, I realise that I made an error in my question regarding denominations of Forints.

I asked whether we would need only 500 or 1000 forints. Of course I realise that 1000 forints is only a couple of dollars and what I meant to say was would we need any smaller denominations or only 500 or 1000plus.

Thanks Pontac for replying. We are with Avalon  and I don't think Transfers are arranged unless air is included. I'll double check though.

RTLS, there may be an option to purchase a transfer, but it could be costly.  Just make sure you check with your bank as to the fees for using the foreign ATM...some of them can be costly for a small amount.  If you are taking a taxi, some of them do take credit cards, and make sure you have the boat call the cab, so you don't get scammed.  The ones that only take cash may take Euros...you could always check before hitting the ATM.

Back in 2015 when we were in Budapest, we used Uber for convenient(and inexpensive) transport everywhere.  Recently read from TripAdvisor travel forum and learned that Uber no longer exists in Budapest (Uber banned back in July 2016).  Our next cruise is from Bucharest to Budapest.  Although we did not purchase air through Viking, our TA told us that we have included Viking airport transfer.  Our TA confirmed with Viking more than once, and our travel document indicates so.

In case that there is no included airport transfer, we shall have Viking call a taxi for us at end of cruise from ship to Budapest airport.  Not sure if we need to pay in local money.  Plan to ask Viking staff while onboard.  Either way, we shall get local money from ATM machine when we dock in Budapest one day earlier (get money at end of included city tour).  The Viking guide will tell us where the ATM (which accepts foreign bank ATM debit card) is.

To make sure that we get some small notes from ATM, we shall withdraw amounts such as 9,000 or 19,000, or 29,000.  We can also breakup “large” notes by making small purchases in coffee/beer/pastry shops/restaurants and souvenirs shops.

Most recent exchange rate: $1US = 296.254 HUF.

On 8/21/2019 at 1:13 PM, RTLS said:

On re -reading my original message, I realise that I made an error in my question regarding denominations of Forints.

I asked whether we would need only 500 or 1000 forints. Of course I realise that 1000 forints is only a couple of dollars and what I meant to say was would we need any smaller denominations or only 500 or 1000plus.

Thanks Pontac for replying. We are with Avalon  and I don't think Transfers are arranged unless air is included. I'll double check though.

You are correct - Avalon doesn't usually include transfers unless you book air with them.  That being said,  Budapest is one of the places where I have used private transfers quite easily - with a cost that is similar to that of a taxi.  I can send you the information if you wish.  

It is easy to use ATMs in Budapest - and they are easy to find.  One of them (close to Gerbaud) offered cash in forints or euros.   You didn't say which direction you are traveling from... if it is down from Amsterdam (or a port below that....) - you will most likely have euros with you.  You can work with euros quite easily in Budapest - although the exchange is not always in your favour.  However, if you are coming up from Bucharest, all the countries you will have already visited work with their own currencies - so you will need forints.  

LOVE Budapest... one of my favourite cities in Europe.  But, not going to be back until next October.   

Fran

Edited by franski
  • Like 1

I think it would work well for the river cruise line to arrange a taxi- Rick Steves warns about hailing a cab on the street being a likely rip-off. When we were in Hungary several years ago, we rented a car to visit the countryside around Lake Balaton and then returned our car to an off-site agency near the airport. They booked a cab for us, but the driver did not understand our pronunciation of the address to the Hotel Palazzo Zichy- luckily our GPS had a Hungarian language option and "semmi gond"!

Except there was a problem when we returned to the U.S. and our GPS lady still spoke Hungarian!

Thanks everyone for jumping in with so much information.

FRAN --- If you could let me know the details of the Private Transfer that you used, that would be great. We have booked a private transfer for our arrival in Prague but the TA we used to book didn't suggest doing the same for Budapest so I think I'll do that myself although I may have to wait until I know our docking location

We are travelling from Prague to Budapest and will have Euros for Austria and Germany so good news that we can likely be OK with Euros in Budapest.

Judy

PS.  TMLAalum  - Are you still speaking Hungarian to your GPS Lady or have you moved on to another language

35 minutes ago, RTLS said:

PS.  TMLAalum  - Are you still speaking Hungarian to your GPS Lady or have you moved on to another language

Hi Judy-

I switched her back after she blurted out Hungarian directions to Westfield NY enroute to Niagara Falls when I driving on a girls getaway with my Oregon & Chicago sisters. We laughed so hard!

We call her Missy and she is coming with us again this fall!

Barb

Edited by TMLAalum

12 hours ago, Rod$1951 said:

What is the earliest one can expect to get to the Budapest Airport via taxi after disembarking a river cruise?

It should take around 30 minutes by car or coach.

For airlines that don't have a permanent check in desk (e.g. non Hungarian airlines) check-in desk will not open till 2 hours before departure

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rod$1951 said:

What is the earliest one can expect to get to the Budapest Airport via taxi after disembarking a river cruise?

If your question was how early a flight can you book, if you dock in Budapest the night before you should be able to get off at any time. I have seen departures arranged for as early as 3:30 am. 

A few few days before disembarkation you will likely be asked for your plans, and, if you don’t have transfers included, they can suggest a time  (or you can give them a time) and they will arrange a cab for you if you don’t want to make your own arrangements. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RTLS said:

FRAN --- If you could let me know the details of the Private Transfer that you used, that would be great. We have booked a private transfer for our arrival in Prague but the TA we used to book didn't suggest doing the same for Budapest so I think I'll do that myself although I may have to wait until I know our docking location

Judy

Hi Judy -

Here is the contact info...

www.budapestairporttaxi.com/Welcome.html

He is very responsive to e-mail.  My suggestion (if you wish to book the transfer) is to do so, and let him know the cruise director will call him to let him  know the docking location.  His phone number is on the website as well as his e-mail address. 

If he is unable to do the transfer himself, he may have his wife do it - or he has agreements with other drivers.  We have been very pleased with the service - and have booked him a few times over the years.

Fran 

2 hours ago, franski said:

Hi Judy -

He is very responsive to e-mail.  My suggestion (if you wish to book the transfer) is to do so, and let him know the cruise director will call him to let him  know the docking location.  His phone number is on the website as well as his e-mail address. 

If he is unable to do the transfer himself, he may have his wife do it - or he has agreements with other drivers.  We have been very pleased with the service - and have booked him a few times over the years.

Fran 

Many thanks Fran. I shall definitely look into this.

2 hours ago, franski said:

Hi Judy -

Fran 

Hi Fran,

Could I confirm that the name of the owner is Alajos Pulai. Just want to make sure I have the correct company.

Thanks again

Judy

40 minutes ago, RTLS said:

Hi Fran,

Could I confirm that the name of the owner is Alajos Pulai. Just want to make sure I have the correct company.

Thanks again

Judy

Yes, that is the correct company.

Fran

We also used Alajos Pulai when we were in Budapest last year. Good communication via email and text - with preset fare - I think it was flat 30 euro.  Driver was one of his colleagues, who spoke pretty good english.  He was very proud of his city and gave us a lovely running commentary on Budapest and Hungarian history  and  during the drive into the city from the airport. 

• Like 1

I'm going to Budapest a few days before I embark there so I have been doing some research on things like taxi fares. Several YouTube vlogs published last year say the it is about 6500 fr to take an authorized taxi from the airport to the city center. I'm guessing it will be in that range from wherever you disembark to the airport. 

On 8/22/2019 at 4:22 PM, Rod$1951 said:

My contacts have indicated that Budapest is a rather small airport.  Arriving there two hours before your flight is plenty of time.  They say that 90 minutes is fine for an early morning departure.  No check in lines and security should be fairly short. 

Our departure at the end of our upcoming tour is at 0610!  Avalon will normally try to get us to the airport three hours early but that's not necessary this time.  That would mean leaving the ship at 0230!!  We have a transfer through Avalon. 

The Budapest airport (Ferenc Liszt International) is rather small and very easy to navigate. We arrived 90 minutes prior to our flight and had plenty on time. The taxi from our city center hotel (hotel concierge ordered our taxi) to the airport was approximately 30 minutes and cost approximately $30 (when converted from forints). We paid in forints but euros & credit cards were also accepted. On the day that we disembarked our cruise, we headed to our hotel for an extended stay in Budapest - our taxi to the hotel was ordered from the ship. Most people on our ship were headed to the airport and the ship ordered taxis for those who did not purchase the ship transfer. Easy peasy.