Edge -4 restaurants?

travellovers2

Well, that is not quite correct. If you are traditional dining, NO.

Select dining, YES.

Traditional diners are to speak with the Maitre d' the night before or upon boarding to register for other restaurants since fixed dining tables are limited in each dining venue.

I Am sure others who have done this first hand will chime in on this.

bon appetite and bon voyage

11 minutes ago, Animalgirl27 said:

If you reserved the late seating, you will eat in the same restaurant every evening with the same people. No reservation is needed. If you want to try several restaurants and don't want to be locked in at a certain time, then choose my time dinning. 

Or you can keep your current time and as Bo 1953 suggested  you can speak to tge MaitreD if you would like to try the other dining rooms and they will arrange it for you.

I had Select dining and glad we did that. We were waitlisted for it but then when we boarded we saw that we got it. Each dining room has a selection of special items only in that dining room. We liked Normandy and The Greek restaurant the best for selection. We never had a problem getting a table, we usually showed up around 8:00 and only 2 of us.

I always book online so I don't have to waste time on the phone, but this time since Edge is new to us and I wanted to see how the 4 restaurants set up worked, I decided to call. I see that it was a big mistake. The guy was very nice and even told me that he had just been on the Edge. I wanted select dining, but he said we had to waitlist since it was not available, so he put me on the 8:30 just in case. But he said that we could go to any of the 4 restaurants at 8:30. I 'm glad I asked on cc. Thank you very much for your replies. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2019 at 8:45 PM, KarimaJ said:

I had Select dining and glad we did that. We were waitlisted for it but then when we boarded we saw that we got it. Each dining room has a selection of special items only in that dining room. We liked Normandy and The Greek restaurant the best for selection. We never had a problem getting a table, we usually showed up around 8:00 and only 2 of us.

What is the select dining? 

On 8/21/2019 at 6:25 PM, Bo1953 said:

Well, that is not quite correct. If you are traditional dining, NO.

Select dining, YES.

Traditional diners are to speak with the Maitre d' the night before or upon boarding to register for other restaurants since fixed dining tables are limited in each dining venue.

I Am sure others who have done this first hand will chime in on this.

bon appetite and bon voyage

Which restaurants served lobster?

1 minute ago, cruizelvr said:

C - that is a question which I cannot answer at the moment, as my sailing is not until November But I Am sure someone who has sailed The Edge will be able to chime in here on your question. 

Bon appetite and Bon voyage 

4 minutes ago, cruizelvr said:

All 4 restaurants serve the same MDR menu each night but each have their own special  menus which do not change.  So If you are in Cosmopolitan your have the   rotating  “ MDR” menu plus the Cosmo special appetizers, entrees & dessert.  If you are in Cypress you have the same rotating MDR (just like the  other dining rooms ) and in addition you have the Cypress appetizers, entrees & dessert.  Same for the other two MDRs

8 hours ago, jelayne said:

All 4 restaurants serve the same MDR menu each night but each have their own special  menus which do not change.  So If you are in Cosmopolitan your have the   rotating  “ MDR” menu plus the Cosmo special appetizers, entrees & dessert.  If you are in Cypress you have the same rotating MDR (just like the  other dining rooms ) and in addition you have the Cypress appetizers, entrees & dessert.  Same for the other two MDRs

Thanks for clarifying this. Originally it sounded like each MDR had a totally different menu. RCI and Princess tried that years ago and failed. 

Thank you again. 

Does anyone have the details on the differences for each of the MDRs?

Edited by Oxo

8 hours ago, vtcruising said:

You are welcome. I believe lobster night is menu 6, which is often used for the second Evening Chic night of the cruise. 🙂

8 hours ago, vtcruising said:

You are welcome. I believe lobster night is menu 6, which is often used for the second Evening Chic night of the cruise. 🙂

Do you have a schedule of how they do the nights on the ship, as you referred to the Chic dining night?

7 minutes ago, cruizelvr said:

Do you have a schedule of how they do the nights on the ship, as you referred to the Chic dining night?

It isn't set in stone. For a 7 night cruise, the usual is the first Sea Day or Day 2-3 and the second usually seems to be Day 6 (it is usually not the last night). This is up to the upper levels onboard and is usually planned prior to the cruise, though may even change during the cruise. You can ask the maitre 'd when they are planned when you board. I usually make an educated guess by looking at sea days or times leaving ports, by looking at my app menus (best menus on Chic nights) and by seeing when other cruises with same ship and itinerary had theirs (read reviews and ask, if not known).

20 hours ago, jelayne said:

Let me complicate this a bit more:

Every single night, each of the four Main Dining Rooms ("MDR") has a three part menu.  All four menus will have the "Celebrity Favorites" section, which are the same every day -- these are the standard Celebrity every day items such as the Caesar Salad, Fettuccini, Grilled Chicken Breast, etc.  So this part of the menu does not change from one day to the next or from one restaurant to the next.

Part two of the menu is restaurant specific.  Cyprus has a selection of Greek items that are available only at Cyprus.  (My waiter in Blu offered to get any item from the various MDRs for me.  So in Blu, I could get the Cyprus items.)  This part of the menu does NOT change from day to day.  Each of the four restaurants has its own custom regionally-themed menu.  

Part three of the menu is that night's special menu for all four of the MDRs.  For example, Prime Rib on the first formal night, and lobster for the second formal night.  Part three in each of the four MDRs is the same.

I know this is complicated to explain.  I hope I succeeded!

• Like 1

Here are pictures to go with the great explanations.

If eating in one of the 4 MDRs, you will have a three-part menu:

For Cosmopolitan you will have:

Cosmopolitan Exclusives (stay the same every night - different in each of 4 MDRs):

image.thumb.png.3e63ef0b5f0c2a5216fded659649cd75.png

Classics (available every night in every MDR - they do not change):

image.thumb.png.56bf21f472245cbe6430d269149fb91c.png

Celebrity Signatures:

14 day rotation in all MDRs (all 4 MDRs will have the same Signatures on a given night and rotate together through the menus):

image.thumb.png.6ea52d9b8facd1862c865f850a877372.png

Other Exclusives (stay the same every night - different in each of 4 MDRs):

Cyprus:

image.thumb.png.23a52a893a1cb2d5849df466248b8e50.png

Tuscan:

image.thumb.png.996ebceb6e0eb626e24907f12f5ca406.png

Normandie:

image.thumb.png.6c49d60db51f31b4f0543a003ed90f03.png

And don't forget dessert!

Each MDR has one Exclusive Dessert that stays the same each night (at the top) and a Classic every day menu that is the same in each MDR (except flavor changes) and two Signature Desserts that are the same in each MDR, but rotate through a 14 day menu:

Cosmopolitan Exclusive Dessert at the top, Classics next and last are the two signature desserts that change each night - same in each MDR):

image.thumb.png.6406324107973c08f8bf17b1e18aa7d3.png

Cyprus Exclusive Dessert:

image.png.bab4e113db29ea32a125b6a6fa1ddf07.png

Normandie Exclusive Dessert:

image.png.3e8ec126f095586fd6e169cf624e312f.png

Tuscan Exclusive Dessert:

image.png.1366eb6d2ec24733f000aedc63b03a07.png

Bon Appétit!

Edited by vtcruising

Thank you so much for making me hungry just by looking at the menus just posted... We'll board "Edge" in a few weeks and we're very much looking forward to the experience.

Just a quick question: As lobster night is my husband's favourite but we quite often eat dinner in the buffet area: Is lobster included in the buffet fare on those evenings or will we have to book a restaurant for that night? (On HAL ships lobster is also offered at the Lido buffet on the second or third formal evening.)

Thank you for your answers.

Thanks for the explanations and   Vt for the menu excerpts

I was able to download the 4 mdr exclusives and Classic menus..

Dh will be looking for Creme Brulee so hope that turns up.

DIning on EDGE offers so many choices .While we enjoyed BLU in January and are used to the BLU  format and menus,  we are looking forward to the 4 mdr concept to change things up a bit. 

I do not know about lobster in the buffet?

Edited by hcat

1 hour ago, grayjay said:

Thank you so much for making me hungry just by looking at the menus just posted... We'll board "Edge" in a few weeks and we're very much looking forward to the experience.

Just a quick question: As lobster night is my husband's favourite but we quite often eat dinner in the buffet area: Is lobster included in the buffet fare on those evenings or will we have to book a restaurant for that night? (On HAL ships lobster is also offered at the Lido buffet on the second or third formal evening.)

Thank you for your answers.

I haven't seen it, but I usually don't go to the buffet at night, especially Chic Night. If he wants lobster, the MDR (or Blue if in AQ or Luminae if in Suite) is probably his best option. They are usually good about bringing another, if needed (and some have a third). You could ask a supervisor-type in the buffet if there is ever lobster at the buffet (there is always someone in charge watching over things). Room Service will deliver dinner to your cabin, but I'm not sure you will want that lobster smell there (and the tables in the cabins on the Edge are pretty small).

If you don't mind paying for seafood, Raw on 5 has an amazing Imperial Tower with cold water lobster, shrimp, crab, oysters. They also have a lobster roll on the menu. The Fine Cut Steakhouse also serves a lobster tail. 🙂

image.thumb.png.af2cf01a929ecda3c71ba339adb8761f.png

image.png.b7a8610465c68765f516e6520da1bc0c.png

image.png

Edited by vtcruising

On 9/3/2019 at 8:08 PM, Bo1953 said:

C - that is a question which I cannot answer at the moment, as my sailing is not until November But I Am sure someone who has sailed The Edge will be able to chime in here on your question. 

Bon appetite and Bon voyage 

Bo1953 (or any other vegans) 

I appreciate your experience as a Vegan on Celebrity. I am heading off on my second cruise as a Vegan on the Edge. My first experience as a Vegan on Celebrity was confusing. I was dining in Blu and they tried to be very accommodating but wanted me to tell them what to prepare. I would rather they offer me options that they can prepare well.  I would like to know what Vegan entrees (or appetizers / desserts) you have had that we’re memorable. Thanks. 

3 hours ago, VitaminSea53 said:

Bo1953 (or any other vegans) 

I appreciate your experience as a Vegan on Celebrity. I am heading off on my second cruise as a Vegan on the Edge. My first experience as a Vegan on Celebrity was confusing. I was dining in Blu and they tried to be very accommodating but wanted me to tell them what to prepare. I would rather they offer me options that they can prepare well.  I would like to know what Vegan entrees (or appetizers / desserts) you have had that we’re memorable. Thanks. 

v - I once had vegetable lasagna which consisted of noodles, layered with vegetables and marinara sauce, nicely spiced... risotto, several Indian dishes on the vegetarian menu which were vegan or could be made vegan...

Generally, I bring several recipes that I like and let them have at it realizing that they may not have all of the ingredients aboard.

I do find interacting with the Chef(s) helpful in their accommodating me. On The Summit they had a great pastry chef who prepared something different for me each night.. Which was better than the usual fruit cup offered on other sailings!

I recommend meeting with the chef letting them know what you like or not and say 'get creative'.... generally they try to, for sure.

Let us know how you made out upon your return...

bon appetite and bon voyage...