Any recently reported illnesses from Bliss or Joy in Alaska?

Snuffie

1 minute ago, KarlChilders said:

from the CDC website   "Sepsis happens when an infection you already have —in your skin, lungs, urinary tract, or somewhere else—triggers a chain reaction throughout your body."

Bolded for emphasis

Karl, where do you get the infection from? 

Causes

While any type of infection — bacterial, viral or fungal — can lead to sepsis, the most likely varieties include:

• Pneumonia
  • Infection of the digestive system (which includes organs such as the stomach and colon)
  • Infection of the kidney, bladder and other parts of the urinary system
  • Bloodstream infection (bacteremia)

31 minutes ago, KarlChilders said:

Bacteria, obviously, the point is the sepsis itself is not a contagious disease. It is the result of a bacterial infection progressing to the point of overwhelming the body with toxins.

Correct. You do not catch Sepsis. It is a group of conditions that usually result from a bacterial infection that causes an abnormal immune response, where the body's immune system launches an attack on the host. The bacteria that cause Sepsis, and in this poor lady's case, Necrotizing Fasciitis often overlap.

You catch the bacteria that causes it, or bacteria that you have already caught previously finds a way inside of you. Moist and dirty things like bathroom floors, hospitals, handrails, hot tubs, supermarket trolleys, hands, etc., work perfectly well as places for where bacteria like to hang out. You just need to go past and give them a new place to raise their little bacteria family.

Just my luck. I come on here looking for the latest Three Cheese Ziti information and find myself giving a medical lecture on infectious diseases and Epidemiology.

Edited by elwood_98034
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, elwood_98034 said:

Correct. You do not catch Sepsis. It is a group of conditions that usually result from a bacterial infection that causes an abnormal immune response, where the body's immune system launches an attack on the host. The bacteria that cause Sepsis, and in this poor lady's case, Necrotizing Fasciitis often overlap.

You catch the bacteria that causes it, or bacteria that you have already caught previously finds a way inside of you. Moist and dirty things like bathroom floors, hospitals, handrails, hot tubs, supermarket trolleys, hands, etc., work perfectly well as places for where bacteria like to hang out. You just need to go past and give them a new place to raise their little bacteria family.

Just my luck. I come on here looking for the latest Three Cheese Ziti information and find myself giving a medical lecture on infectious diseases and Epidemiology.

The point, however, is that virtually any given bacteria, virus, or fungus can infect one person, and not cause sepsis, but cause a septic reaction in another person.  Or, the same person could get an infection one time and not develop sepsis, and catch the same infection another time, and due to different conditions like the person's immune system, then they get sepsis.  So, worrying about every single bacteria, virus, or fungus out there because it might cause a septic reaction is a little paranoid, and you can't blame a cruise ship for one person developing sepsis from an infection possibly caused on the ship, when thousands were subjected to the same probability of infection, and did not develop sepsis.

4 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

The point, however, is that virtually any given bacteria, virus, or fungus can infect one person, and not cause sepsis, but cause a septic reaction in another person.  Or, the same person could get an infection one time and not develop sepsis, and catch the same infection another time, and due to different conditions like the person's immune system, then they get sepsis.  So, worrying about every single bacteria, virus, or fungus out there because it might cause a septic reaction is a little paranoid, and you can't blame a cruise ship for one person developing sepsis from an infection possibly caused on the ship, when thousands were subjected to the same probability of infection, and did not develop sepsis.

"According to the National Institute of General Medical Sciences, over 1 million people in the United States develop severe sepsis each year, and 15–30 percent of these people die as a result. Other studies estimate that sepsis may contribute to over 250,000 deaths every year."

I'm quite sure that I know where I got my Staph infection from. A London hotel bathroom floor.

I personally practice risk minimization, but you can roll your dice any way you want.

Good luck.

2 minutes ago, elwood_98034 said:

"According to the National Institute of General Medical Sciences, over 1 million people in the United States develop severe sepsis each year, and 15–30 percent of these people die as a result. Other studies estimate that sepsis may contribute to over 250,000 deaths every year."

I'm quite sure that I know where I got my Staph infection from. A London hotel bathroom floor.

I personally practice risk minimization, but you can roll your dice any way you want.

Good luck.

You got a staph infection, did you develop sepsis from it? Obviously not, or you would have mentioned it.  So, you need to worry about staph, not sepsis.  That is the point.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

You got a staph infection, did you develop sepsis from it? Obviously not, or you would have mentioned it.  So, you need to worry about staph, not sepsis.  That is the point.

No, me choosing to not share any more of my medical history with you is the point. 

59 minutes ago, elwood_98034 said:

Are you saying that ships should fight Staphylococcus?  

Noro is "common" on a ship, and while that's a virus and Staph is a bacteria, I guess the general hygiene maintained on a ship and their cleaning methods to fight it would make it a relatively safe environment. More safe than hospitals where MRSA (also Staph, but probably a different strain than "yours") is what Noro is to ships.

Prayers for you OP< your friend and his family. It is always so sad to read something like this. Let me add, normally if any illness that can become widespread is suspected on a ship, regardless of the line all precautions will be taken and the public will be made aware of the situation.