Dock at 7 (FLL) and trying to make a 9:40 flight - how risky?

Assuming your ship is arriving at Port Everglades and you are flying out of FLL, you can make it if everything goes perfectly, but you have very little room for delay.   Too early for my stress level.  Even if you are first in the self-assist line, you may not be off the ship until 7:45am.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rhuntington3 said:

Me personally, I would go with a later flight.  I'd rather take my time and end up early at the airport rather than rushing to try to get there.

I'm kind with you ... we may be cutting it too close.

Edited by BuckeyeMark

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

Yes, you can make it if everything goes perfrectly, but with very little room for delay.  Too early for my stress level.  Even if you are first in the self-assist line, you may not be off the ship until 7:45am.

thank you.  that's pretty much what we were thinking too.  that's a little close for comfort!

One of the big unknowns is the check-in/bag drop/security lines.

If you are flying on a day when several large ships are in/out - the line up to get through security can be disastrous.  It has been a few years since we flew out of FLL, so maybe things have changed, but I recall some Saturday/Sunday departures with very long security lines.  As long as you've checked in and they call your flight #, you can get expedited through security.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback.  It's a Sunday morning departure...  this is the kind of thing you look at on your computer and tell yourself "yeah, we can make that" and then on day of departure there are delays and long lines and you miss your flight and you're thinking "why did I try this? #dumb"

so thanks for the advice.  looks like it might happen.  but prolly best not to try it.

This exact topic pops up often here on these boards. I can only shake my head and wonder why so many people feel the need to add unnecessary stress to their lives 🤷🏼‍♀️.

Having said that, I do wish you luck.

Edited by dreamer976

Just now, dreamer976 said:

This exact topic pops up often here on these boards. I can only shake my head and wonder why so many people feel the need to add unnecessary stress to their lives 🤷🏼‍♀️.

well... because I don't want to sit in an airport for 7 hours (that is stressful too!) waiting for my flight home if I can get home sooner.  Why wouldn't I? MY DOG IS WAITING FOR ME! #youArentMe #YouDoYou

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

What ship?

Oasis.  I added a second post about lineups.  Another caveat is that some airlines will have long lineups and others will not.

To the OP, if you move forward with your 9:40 flight - you have to make every effort to eliminate all potential delays.

Edited by Queen of Oakville
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Queen of Oakville said:

Oasis.  I added a second post about lineups.  Another caveat is that some airlines will have long lineups and others will not.

To the OP, if you move forward with your 9:40 flight - you have to make every effort to eliminate all potential delays.

Oasis class ships normally dock at least an hour earlier than the OP's ship.  I've seen Oasis class ships arrive at 5:45am at FLL.

If you do not already have it why don't you invest in TSA pre-check or global entry to expedite your check in thru security.

When we left at Cleveland we had TSA pre-check, randomly assigned....the other line for regular flyers took 2 1/2 hours to get thru, people missed their flights.

In July after our Allure cruise we did not have the randoom TSA pre check, but got thru the long line at Fll because we flew in first class.....and were directed to the pre-check in area.

After seeing that line on Sunday morning to get thru TSA in Fll , I said I would never do that.............. (not able to fly first class all the time).

So two weeks ago we registered for TSA pre-check, for $85 dollars we have 5 years of this. We were issued our security numbers in 4 days, and now are logged in to United, and Delta profiles............those are the two airlines we use.

We do not travel out of the country at this time, that is why we did not do global entry.

Just something to think about.

Safe travels.

Addendum.

Brillohead, I was typing as your post was posting......................................just saying.

Edited by Lionesss

1 hour ago, JupiterTwo said:

Consider that yours might not be the only ship docking that morning. There would be a rush at the airport, check-ins would be backed up, TSA would be backed up...

Steve

That's not an issue with the early morning flights, since not many passengers take 9:40 flights.  If anything, it's much easier with the early flights.  I'd do a 9:40 and just line up for self-assist at 6AM or so, which sucks, but worth being towards the front of the line.  Probably end up at the airport around 7:30 - 7:45 and at the gate by 8:15 with an hour to spare before boarding.

1 hour ago, BuckeyeMark said:

Thanks for the feedback.  It's a Sunday morning departure...  this is the kind of thing you look at on your computer and tell yourself "yeah, we can make that" and then on day of departure there are delays and long lines and you miss your flight and you're thinking "why did I try this? #dumb"

so thanks for the advice.  looks like it might happen.  but prolly best not to try it.

How comfortable are you missing the flight?  It would suck, but you fly standby, or get rebooked on another flight.  You'll get home eventually.  For some people, this isn't the end of the world.  For some it's super stressful.  Figure out where you stand.  For what it's worth, we do self-assist and I don't think I've ever been home later than 8AM and I do not go to the line super early to be in front, either.  Even from Miami we are home by 8AM or so, if not earlier.  We live 15 - 20 minutes past the FLL airport.  A 9:40 flight is actually quite realistic providing the ship and everything is on time (it usually is) and you just get in line an hour early for self-assist.  I'd do it for sure.  And if the stars don't align and some unusual delays happened, well, whatever, I'd figure out how to get on a different flight, whenever that may be.  But I'd give you a 90%+ (maybe even higher) chance of making the flight.

We get people all the time who ask about this stuff, and tons of people take the early flights.  I'm not sure I've seen any stories about anyone missing them.  I also have a friend who takes the early flights on every cruise and never, ever misses the flight and always ends up sitting at the gate for an hour or two.

Edited by BNBR

We have Global Entry and Clear so if the airport has both it makes security a non-issue.  But we have seen other issues that are time-sucks - checking a bag can often have a long line, printing boarding pass if kiosks are down, etc.

That said, I've made flights like the one mentioned with time to spare, albeit stressful!  We do always want to try to get home as quickly as possible to our pups, so we'll often risk it.  We haven't ever missed one, but of all the ones we've taken, only 1 or 2 were risky, we usually try for after 11AM.

Also while Global Entry and TSA-Pre both should get you in the TSA-Pre security line, the Global Entry folks told us with Global Entry you are considered a KNOWN traveler and are less likely to ever get bumped from a flight if it's overbooked.  

17 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Probably end up at the airport around 7:30 - 7:45 and at the gate by 8:15 with an hour to spare before boarding.

While it's a short ride from PE to FLL, I kinda doubt you can make the airport by 7:30 when the ship is supposed to dock at 7 - at best you might walk off at 7:30.

24 minutes ago, BNBR said:

How comfortable are you missing the flight?  It would suck, but you fly standby, or get rebooked on another flight.  You'll get home eventually.  For some people, this isn't the end of the world.  For some it's super stressful.  Figure out where you stand.  For what it's worth, we do self-assist and I don't think I've ever been home later than 8AM and I do not go to the line super early to be in front, either.  Even from Miami we are home by 8AM or so, if not earlier.  We live 15 - 20 minutes past the FLL airport.  A 9:40 flight is actually quite realistic providing the ship and everything is on time (it usually is) and you just get in line an hour early for self-assist.  I'd do it for sure.  And if the stars don't align and some unusual delays happened, well, whatever, I'd figure out how to get on a different flight, whenever that may be.  But I'd give you a 90%+ (maybe even higher) chance of making the flight.

We get people all the time who ask about this stuff, and tons of people take the early flights.  I'm not sure I've seen any stories about anyone missing them.  I also have a friend who takes the early flights on every cruise and never, ever misses the flight and always ends up sitting at the gate for an hour or two.

you're killing me Smalls!  LOL

had this all worked out and decided it's a "no" and now I'm back in the "well maybe we could..."  

the dog says DO IT!