Water

cruise4mom

I know this question has been asked and answered a million times before however we cannot get a straight answer and would like to know peoples experience. 

We are trying to figure out how to bring water on. We have called Princess, Chatted with Princess and we keep getting conflicting info. 

Can we check water, still in packaging, with a luggage tag on it to be brought to our room?

if we can’t do the above can we place water bottles in a suitcase, with clothing, to go to our room?

Can we just place a case of water in a suitcase to be delivered to our room? 

Does water need to be carried on?

Edited by cruise4mom

Yes Wrap a little duct tape around it, put a luggage tag on it and give it to the porters.  Or you can just carry it on. Many just use a refillable sports bottle as the water on the ship is perfectly drinkable out of any of the spigots. Or you can put it in your luggage if you are not afraid of one breaking. As always every time you call Princess you will get a different answer.

You can also do the same thing with soda by putting a luggage tag on it and giving it to a porter.

Edited by Potstech
  • Like 1

Pre-cruise Princess sells 500 ml bottles of water 12 for $7.08 but has to be ordered and paid for before the cruise.  They deliver it to you cabin making it very easy to have bottled water in your cabin.  You can order as much as you want.  

Unlike at home the ship maintains all the water lines from the source to your cabin faucets.  They are required to test the water and post it for inspection on a regular basis.  The water coming out of your cabin taps is probably more pure than the water in the bottles.  You may want to bring empty bottles, fill them with water and put them in your refrigerator in your cabin so that you have cold water to drink.  The other issue is using their ice which is made of course from their water.  

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, cruise4mom said:

I know this question has been asked and answered a million times before however we cannot get a straight answer and would like to know peoples experience. 

We are trying to figure out how to bring water on. We have called Princess, Chatted with Princess and we keep getting conflicting info. 

Can we check water, still in packaging, with a luggage tag on it to be brought to our room?

Yes you can

if we can’t do the above can we place water bottles in a suitcase, with clothing, to go to our room?

I wound not do this

Can we just place a case of water in a suitcase to be delivered to our room?

I would not do this

Does water need to be carried on?

This can be done if you want to especially at ports of call.

There are no restrictions regarding bringing water or any other non-alcoholic beverage on the ship. You can bring on as much as you want at embarkation and at any port. Note that Princess has a fairly good pre-purchase price in the cruise personlizer for bottled water, around 58cents/bottle. This price is not available on board. It saves all the inconvenience. You can also bring along a refillable bottle and fill it in your cabin. There is a fridge in every cabin and ice is delivered each day. Ship's water is perfectly suitable for drinking and re-use of the bottles is more friendly to the environment. 

Edited by skynight
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Ships water is fine as well.

That’s why we drink water from the ship’s supply & only get a pre-purchased bottled water package posted by “satzdiver” for in ports not knowing their water source.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, Aggie83 said:

I strongly urge the pre-purchase of the water beverage package via the cruise personalizer.  The case of water magically shows up in your room!  It will be the best $7.08 you spend on the cruise.

I agree. For the sake of $7 for a dozen bottles is it really worth the hassle of bringing water on board? Not in my eyes. There are many things I think Princess overcharge for but the water deal is not one of them.

Edited by leck57
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, nukesubsailor said:

If you put bottled water in a checked piece of luggage, you probably will be called by the ship security personnel to come to the "naughty room" and open the luggage so they can see that the bottles do not contain a contraband item.

Not always true.  Ms diver left a bottle of wine in her checked luggage not once but twice - obviously a slow learner.  The checked baggage showed up in the cabin around 5 or so and had been opened.  We board as early as possible and my checked luggage was in the room around 2:00.  Interesting part was that we had carried wine aboard and paid the corking fee on those bottles over the allotted two.  We were not charged for the extra bottle in her luggage. Hopefully Ms diver will be more careful in the future. 

Whether you bring bottled water onboard or buy it from Princess pre-cruise or single bottles on the ship ... enjoy it while you can.

With Princess' new-found environmental conscience, their plan, incrementally, is to eliminate single-use plastics.  By 2021, Princess intends to get rid of/replace plastic water bottles.  At that point, does anyone here honestly believe Princess will permit passengers to bring any beverages in plastic containers?  

Also, in keeping with their environmental concerns ... I envision them charging a "recycling fee" for any beverages brought onboard in metal cans, that is if they even allow it anymore.

Edited by pms4104

For those of you giving the advice to purchase the water package based upon ease and price you really are not getting a full case of water only a half case as they only offer 12 bottles. The 500 ml are the basic 16.9 water bottles. My BFF is a huge water drinker and is not wild about tap water regardless of where we are and prefers bottles water. That’s why I am asking as to purchase the water package, she can drink up

to 6-8 bottles a day at 16 oz bottles. We are also doing B2B cruises, 24 days, so to purchase that much water thru Princess would be between 50-60 for water. If we to a big box store and buy wholesale we can get liter bottles at 5.49 a case of 18. We would love only need 3 cases costing $16.50 saving approximately $35 just on water! 

i do love the still water on ship and will drink tat, but i do bring on some sparkling water for variation.  i usually put it in a small roller by itself.  this then allows for me to have room when i leave as somehow what i pack going there multiples even though i really don't buy much on the cruise.

i will admit, i am local to port, so weight and number of bags is not an issue,

38 minutes ago, cruise4mom said:

For those of you giving the advice to purchase the water package based upon ease and price you really are not getting a full case of water only a half case as they only offer 12 bottles. The 500 ml are the basic 16.9 water bottles. My BFF is a huge water drinker and is not wild about tap water regardless of where we are and prefers bottles water. That’s why I am asking as to purchase the water package, she can drink up

to 6-8 bottles a day at 16 oz bottles. We are also doing B2B cruises, 24 days, so to purchase that much water thru Princess would be between 50-60 for water. If we to a big box store and buy wholesale we can get liter bottles at 5.49 a case of 18. We would love only need 3 cases costing $16.50 saving approximately $35 just on water! 

How many bottles of water and the size of each bottle do you want to start the cruise with? You left that helpful information off your initial post.  Are you trying to figure out how to bring on 192 bottles of water? 24 days x 8 bottles per day? For 500ml or half that for 1 liter bottles?

Edited by Aggie83
Clarity.

we will either pre-buy the bottled water or bring our own on board ... but problem is also solved by getting the PBP, and I drink a lot of water , both regular and Pellegrino

we don't drink tap water at home and sure not going to start doing it on a ship or in foreign countries

I know, I know ... coffee and gun soda's on ships .. plus cooking etc

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

we will either pre-buy the bottled water or bring our own on board ... but problem is also solved by getting the PBP, and I drink a lot of water , both regular and Pellegrino

we don't drink tap water at home and sure not going to start doing it on a ship or in foreign countries

I know, I know ... coffee and gun soda's on ships .. plus cooking etc

I hear you but just so you know the ships water is cleaner than what you get in a bottle! I bring a couple of empty  water bottles with me. We fill them daily! To each his own do what you are comfortable with! I do not drink water on shore either. My town has been poisoning us with water contaminated by our local Airforce base  (They used a foam as a fire fighting  agent seeped in the aquafier) the town has been forced to shut down wells . We are now under a water restrictions.I only drink bottled water at home. But have to shower with the poison. We are now being tested by the CDC to see what diseases this contributed! Where is Erin Brocovich when you need her! I am happy when I can drink ship water!

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sag13 said:

We will be on the Caribbean Princess.  Do all ships have water packages?  I have looked at on board reservations in Cruise Personalizer and cannot find the water package.  Help!

Interesting, It's in our cruise personlizer for the Crown Princess February cruise under Onboard Reservations, Bottled Water Package. Maybe it's part of the plan to reduce the plastic bottle waste stream.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sag13 said:

We will be on the Caribbean Princess.  Do all ships have water packages?  I have looked at on board reservations in Cruise Personalizer and cannot find the water package.  Help!

There are no packages for my upcoming cruises either... but I thought that was just because I'm in Australia. In fact, we can't pre-purchase internet packages or anything for cruises here. 

Don't feel silly if you can't find it, because it's probably not there!

22 hours ago, cruise4mom said:

I am sure we all know what water costs in stores.

This is all about convenience.

After all we are paying thousands for the cruise we are on right? 

We enjoy the fact that we don't have to lug it to the port and it is sitting there in the cabin when we arrive.  😉

I do both, purchase a water package plus bring a water bottle to fill from the tap.  The package for water for my Oct. Norway cruise is still there, also my Baltic + TA for 2020.  I just checked my 2021 cruise leaving from Dubai, water package available.