Still, why can't I leave my balcony door open at night?

5 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

True - I enjoyed pretty good wine with dinner when acting liaison with the French, and the Brits always had a well stocked bar in the wardroom,.

The US Navy was OK until that early Prohibitionist,  Josephus Daniels, was made SecNav.

When in port, we never visited US Navy ships, but frequently received visits from them. UK Merchant Navy ships had some of the best stocked officer & crew bars at sea.

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

So true, but it's not only the amusement park that doesn't appeal, it is also the hoards of screaming kids that are normall associated with mega ships.

Yup.  I love my grands but two at a time is plenty and no screaming allowed 🙂  Which had a little to do with our booking with Oceania.  I understand they have some kid-friendly programs in Alaska but I don't believe the others do.  While they're not banned, who would want to take their kid(s) on something like that.

Regarding the OP, I'd like to share a little story.  Many years ago I had a friend with a teenage daughter who was giving her fits.  For Mother's Day I gave her a pin that read:

BECAUSE I'M YOUR MOTHER AND BECAUSE I SAID SO

That's why you can't keep your door open.  Get it?

6 hours ago, clo said:

Yup.  I love my grands but two at a time is plenty and no screaming allowed 🙂  Which had a little to do with our booking with Oceania.  I understand they have some kid-friendly programs in Alaska but I don't believe the others do.  While they're not banned, who would want to take their kid(s) on something like that.

Image result for hand waving emoji gif  boasting  again 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, clo said:

What does that mean?

Suspect OP is referring to your mention of Oceania. Some posters seem to feel any mention of preference for a premium or luxury line, no matter how germane, is boasting. Pay them no mind.

However, re: your original post, I can imagine some passengers would bring children on a cruise without a children's program for the same reason as they'd take children traveling on land elsewhere -- as my parents did and as I did with my own son -- for the experience of travel. Not to be stuck in a kids club. Alaska seems an ideal place to bring children, on a cruise or not, with a kids program or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

some passengers would bring children

Operative word being "some." 🙂  I think of one of our daughters with kids 4 and 8.  Their trips are much more outdoors oriented, i.e., snow skiing, river rafting, camping, etc.  I'm pretty sure the only time they've been in a swimming pool was for swimming lessons 🙂  And the other grandmother arranged that.   I can see teens enjoying certain ports for sure.

PS: It's funny about "boasting" and Oceania.  I went in search/hopes of a cruise from Rio to Buenos Aires.  That was the driving force.  We're totally destination/port driven.

Edited by clo
  • Like 1

Agreed.

I thought I was the awkward one on this board.

I have learned something from this thread that I genuinely didnt know about AC on cruise ships.

My balcony will now remain shut at night when sleeping. Its not rocket science.

• Thanks 1

On 8/31/2019 at 1:16 PM, clo said:

So true, we see our g'kids daily, but when going on holiday, we are looking for peace & quiet, hence the reason Viking (18+) is our preference.

When the are older and ready to cruise, we will suffer a mega ship, to get activities for them.

Affirmative, Oceania has kid programs on a limited number of Alaska cruises, however I doubt there will be many kids.

On 8/27/2019 at 6:24 PM, AmazedByCruising said:

My neighbours would be inconvenienced. 6 or 8 cabins are basically sharing the same AC. I know the answer for the current ships, but new ships are no different.

Hearing the waves, and smelling the sea while being gently rocked to sleep would be a very nice perk. Is it technically impossible, financially impossible? Would $2 extra per night for my very own AC,  $11K extra over the course of 15 years be enough to pay for it and keep it running?

Why would other passengers want to pay a higher cost at your expense?

On 8/28/2019 at 8:39 PM, mom says said:

Do things need to be in a legally binding contract before you will abide by them? Warning signs on the balcony door are only a suggestion to you? The previous explanations by Chengkp75 didn't sufficiently clarify the reasons for this for you?  I don't believe there is anything in the cruise contract that prohibits you from standing naked in the middle of the OVC and singing O Sole Mio at the top of your lungs.  But I'm pretty sure it's not allowed either.

Exactly.  He must be one of those analytical people who refuse to believe anything unless it's in writing.  

On 8/28/2019 at 9:17 PM, donaldsc said:

So you are saying that you are allowed to do anything you like as long as it is not explicitly forbidden in a document that you have signed and agreed to regardless of the fact that you will be annoying a whole lot of people by doing it.  Do I have it right?

DON

If my stateroom won't cool down past 80 degrees at night, then I know who to blame!

1 hour ago, awhcruiser said:

Why would other passengers want to pay a higher cost at your expense?

That's up to them. It's just a feature a ship could have that would interest me. I'm not interested at all in Cirque du soleil, I don't care that much about food being "free" and you'd have to pay me to watch how flower arrangements are made. Those are part of the package, and I'd like a slightly different one. Lessons I've learned many times before: never ask for something the ships don't offer now. Anything different from the current situation is "not how it's supposed to be". And certainly don't expect anyone to say two years later "gee, in hindsight, there is a ship that does offer the impossible underwater windows that you wanted, where we all agreed you were a lunatic and a troll and defying basic laws of nature". All I want, or wonder how much it would add to the fare, is an individual a/c. Like in every hotel room in the world with 4 or 5 stars, even if it's harder and more expensive on a ship. The a/c anyone who doesn't read CC actually expects until they see the sign in their room.

Some on this thread have pointed to the right direction, which basically comes down to "get rich and sail on the luxury lines". That's an easy task compared to convincing people on CC, so I'm trying to do just that. :classic_biggrin:

Just in case you're mixing up people, I do keep my balcony door shut.

Edited by AmazedByCruising

1 hour ago, AmazedByCruising said:

All I want, or wonder how much it would add to the fare, is an individual a/c. Like in every hotel room in the world with 4 or 5 stars, even if it's harder and more expensive on a ship. The a/c anyone who doesn't read CC actually expects until they see the sign in their room.

Have you considered the fact that all those cabin airconditioners have to have a vent to the outside world in order to function?  Would you really want a noisy a/c blowing hot air onto your balcony?  Would you want to listen to the noise from multiple a/c units on all the neighboring balconies?  Do you want that a/c to also function as a room heater like most hotel rooms?  Have you considered the fact that those room a/c aren't really all that efficient?  Certainly not as efficient as the cruise ship central unit.  Would  your room a/c contribute to global warming and climate change?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

Have you considered the fact that all those cabin airconditioners have to have a vent to the outside world in order to function?  Would you really want a noisy a/c blowing hot air onto your balcony?  Would you want to listen to the noise from multiple a/c units on all the neighboring balconies?  Do you want that a/c to also function as a room heater like most hotel rooms?  Have you considered the fact that those room a/c aren't really all that efficient?  Certainly not as efficient as the cruise ship central unit. 

You can have a central way to produce cold air or water, distribute it, and have all the machinery in place for each cabin. Without any noise. It's not exactly rocket science. It just costs more. My only point is that it's not much more than that.

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

Would  your room a/c contribute to global warming and climate change?

I wouldn't know. Maybe some pax want to turn some of their OBC into trees and feel good about themselves while being on a cruise ship. Having an individual a/c shouldn't be their main concern.

41 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

You can have a central way to produce cold air or water, distribute it, and have all the machinery in place for each cabin. Without any noise. It's not exactly rocket science. It just costs more. My only point is that it's not much more than that.

And what makes you the expert on how "not much more" something may cost to add it to a cruise ship? Are you a maritime architect? Or a cruise line cost consultant? A corporate budgeting executive? If not, your vacuous claims are a fools errand. 

I wouldn't know. Maybe some pax want to turn some of their OBC into trees and feel good about themselves while being on a cruise ship. Having an individual a/c shouldn't be their main concern.

You continue to amaze us with your constant put downs of anyone who doesn't follow lockstep behind your personal crusade. Give it up. You are tilting at windmills (Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes)

Edited by SantaFeFan