Greek Islands - May or September

Treacher1

We did a Med/Greece cruise this past May....Our weather throughout the Med, Greece and Malta was just amazing...we only had rain in Florence. I wouldn't hesitate to do your itinerary in May...enjoy !!!

6 hours ago, Treacher1 said:

Our schedule will permit a cruise in either May or September - which would you vote for and WHY?  Thank you for any valuable input!

We’re leaving in three days, and I’ll report back. Weather apps have Athens in the low 90’s (so just like home), and the various islands at plus-or-minus 80, cooling off at night. No rain in sight. Can’t wait!

As per weather, the only issue would be some rainfall. It is more probable to have rain in Athens in May than in September. Also, the islands will be a little more busy in September in comparison to May (I say this as a good thing).

We have only done land trips in April/May.  We have done cruises and land trips in Sept/Oct.

We really enjoyed our trip in late April/Early May.  Lots of fresh vegetation coming up.  We also find the people in the industry are friendlier.  It is the start of the tourist.  By October many on the islands are tired of the tourist trade.  They are getting ready to pack it in, close up, and return to Athens for the winter.  Crete is a little different though.

We have been fortunate enough to have very good weather at both times of year.  We only did one April/May trip.  We have done numerous Sept/Oct. trips.

Agree with the above. I would say that for me, May (preferably earlier rather than later) is better weather for sightseeing (a bit cooler and fresher) and September would be better for beaches/swimming. September seems these days to be nearly as crowded as June through August....  Late May isn't far behind.

• 3 months later...
18 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Would the very end of April be chilly???

Do not really expect to swim,  but would like nice warm weather.  

No, it will not be chilly. Average highs at the end of April in Rome are around 70 degrees, in Athens 73 -- but actual temps can often be higher.

It is possible that it may get a little chilly outdoors on the ship in the evening, of course.