Here they come

GUT2407

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

That was on the ABC this morning when they had a talk on the cruise industry ,a quote from NSW tourism.$5000 on average per American tourist spent in Sydney and NSW.

Thats a lot of cheese burger and fries.

Nice.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

$435 million injection to the economy is not bad at all.

A lot of it would go to smaller businesses,taxi,restaurants,tour operators.

Not like organised tours where it goes overseas.

For example they get of a Korean plane,into a Korean bus to a Korean hotel.

I know that NEWCASTLE tourism says every ship brings in $1000 per passenger for a day, I understand that to include port fees, shuttle buses, excursions, spending, from cartons of wine and cameras to a packet of aspirin and a cup of coffee, and some provisioning, when you consider that ships that visit here carry around 2 to 2,500 passengers that’s a fair boost.

A lot of it would go to smaller businesses,taxi,restaurants,tour operators.

Not like organised tours where it goes overseas.

For example they get of a Korean plane,into a Korean bus to a Korean hotel.

Yes, some may have had packages with fly stay cruise but most would be doing the spending here.

4 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Don’t know,I just heard it on the radio.

What ever Its good for the local economy 

I was just curious about the $5000 stat because I had heard that the average pre or post cruise stay in Sydney is 4 - 7 days which would mean even with 7 days the average cruiser is spending over $700 a day per person which seems to me like an over estimate😕. Maybe I'm just cheap😂

1 minute ago, ilikeanswers said:

I was just curious about the $5000 stat because I had heard that the average pre or post cruise stay in Sydney is 4 - 7 days which would mean even with 7 days the average cruiser is spending over $700 a day per person which seems to me like an over estimate😕. Maybe I'm just cheap😂

$700 a day doesn’t sound unreasonable as an average. Hotel and meals for two would probably ave over $1000 a day, add in souvenirs taxis etc and its a figure I can live with.

A couple of years ago Mrs G and I did a two night cruise for her birthday and I did the sums on a land stay in Sydney..

Hotel $450 (I often do better than that but can also spend way more)

breakfast for two most hotels run to about $60+ For full breakfast

Lunch easily $50 (strewth it cost us nearly that the other day at subway)

Dinner an easy $150 and a pretty basic restaurant.

sure you can get it for less but you can also spend way more, i was aiming at middle of the road, toss in a couple of taxi trips, some souvenirs a few drinks and I think $700 as an ave is probable pretty close to the mark for say five to seven days.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Hotel accommodation, three meals a day  would push to at least 1/2 to a 2/3 of that. Then there is admission fees and tours etc

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

😱 Well that confirms it I am a cheap stingy scrouge😳😂. For that price I would expect my bacon leafed in gold😜

We stayed in the rocks August to celebrate a couple of birthdays.

And money doesn’t go far there.

And Circular Quay really eat into the wallet. I have had some nice dinners and lunches there but it is like a once or twice a year treat unless of course someone else is paying 😏

2 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

😱 Well that confirms it I am a cheap stingy scrouge😳😂. For that price I would expect my bacon leafed in gold😜

I’m talking at hotels in the city, i squally try and convince Mrs Gut that we don’t need breakfast if we are heading out on a cruise, or that a bacon and egg McMuffin will do her just fine, but even that is now about $10 with a hashy and a drink.

We stay at the Holiday before most cruises and their breakfast is $25 ea or $20 if you book and pay the night before.

44 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

And Circular Quay really eat into the wallet. I have had some nice dinners and lunches there but it is like a once or twice a year treat unless of course someone else is paying 😏

Or try Burgers and ribs we like sitting there watching whatever ship is in port, but then I am a gourmet.

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

I honestly didn’t like the food ,probably because it was so expensive and small servings.

We eat at the pub ,fortunes of war because I thought pubs are good value,NOT

I went to McDonald’s at about 11:00 because I was still hungry.

15 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Gourmet or gluten?

Take your pick. I do like good food well prepared, but I’m no foam of the junk many places try to pass off as Nouveau cuisine.

I guess if it came down to tV cooking shows I’m more Huey’s Cooking Adventures than Master Chef, as fo the smears all these shows seem to love, my opinion is that if you can see the smear there should be more tucker on the plate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

Exactly, an occasion  is most likely when we will spend that sort of money, of course when travelling, there usually isn't much choice so it is an occasion every day.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Or try Burgers and ribs we like sitting there watching whatever ship is in port, but then I am a gourmet.

I'm pretty lucky I live near some nice burger and rib joints though admittedly there is no view to admire😉

4 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

And that was for two.

Ok that is better than what I was thinking. My mistake😊. Still if I ate breakfast my stingy self would be heading to Maccas at those prices😜

4 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I honestly didn’t like the food ,probably because it was so expensive and small servings.

We eat at the pub ,fortunes of war because I thought pubs are good value,NOT

We try to do the degustation menus at places like that. They tend to be pretty good value since you get to try a little bit of everything and you do eventually get full. I should give credit that some places in The Rocks can be good value. Last year at Vivid we did a three course menu du jour that was only $40 each, the food was amazing and servings generous👍

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Exactly, an occasion  is most likely when we will spend that sort of money, of course when travelling, there usually isn't much choice so it is an occasion every day.

With the internet I have found it easier then ever to avoid Circular Quay style places around the world. I think that was why I was surprised by the stat of spending 🤔. I thought that I indulged when I travelled but it seems I'm a scrooge next to the average😜. It is always good to have your assumptions challenged keeps the grey matter alert.