Celebrity Equinox relief efforts in the Bahamas

davnade

Update on our current Equinox cruise this week. Just found out we are not going to Nassau for our last stop tomorrow.   We are being re-routed to Freeport to bring 10,000 meals plus relief supplies to the devastated areas. We are not leaving the ship, so it’s like another sea day. The main thing is that Celebrity is doing what they can to bring some bit of relief to the Bahamian people during this tragic time. We are totally behind this decision of theirs happy we are doing what we can to help. ❤️

• Like 6

Nice to hear.... yesterday I checked marinetraffic.com and found 5 ships heading towards Bahamas... this morning I noticed Empress of the Seas was at Freeport and James van Fleet (their weather guy) posted photos of tenders lowered bringing in supplies. After Irma, and just before Maria... Royal dropped off passengers and took employees and families out of harms way until it was clear Maria was not going to impact South Florida. They publicize some of what they do, but do more that noted in press releases.

I wish someone would comeup with a solution to the sudden homelessness that happens after these major storms. I have often wondered if containers modified to be small apartments could be stored and then shipped in and configured in 2 or 3 story apartment complexes with all plumbing and electrical designed to be attached on site to generators and some type of fresh water and septic system... with assembly onsite. Kind of a lego idea.. then as housing comes back. these could be disassembled and repurposed... Idea would be to keep these units stored someplace and pulled out when needed... designed to stack and essentially plug in. You see examples of containers being used for housing more as a demonstration of what can be done...but seems to me that places that go through such destruction... need to find a way to get temporary housing up and running as soon as the debris is cleared. This way people could be housed right were all the rebuilding work is going on...  How do you fix a place like Abaco Island when there is not place to stay? and you need to be able to go vertical to maximize housing Anyway... this is a dream I keep having.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hcat said:

Maybe they have something like the white  FEMA modular homes we have seen too often in Florida!  

Missing Nassau port  for  this important mission  is totally the right thing to do!

You are correct but you can bet from past experience there will be complainers;

• Like 1

Oh yes there were complainers who were so upset about this. Made me sick listening to them. I just walked away. Celebrity even refunded the guests 1 days cruise fare to everyone. Not that I expected that to happen. We were given the opportunity to donate that money to the relief fund. And that’s exactly what we did. This is the least that we could do to help. 

• Like 8

Shelter Box International, a project of Rotary International provides tents and supplies for temporary housing. Each tent can hold up to 10 people and supplies that are disaster specific. These were used in Haiti and delivered in part by Celebrity. I met the President of the Southern US Chapter of Shelter Box and he told me that the first call he received was from then Celebrity CEO Dan Hanrahan.My son's SIL is a MD who volunteers to go to disaster areas and in Haiti Shelter Box tents were used a hospitals.

RCL and Celebrity along with other lines are showing that they are responsible citizens of the world.

8 minutes ago, LWFM said:

Another reason why the Equinox is one of our favorite ships! Great Job! Great Crew! Great Passengers!

This time it was Equinox, but it has also been Solstice, Silhouette and other Celebrity ships in a number of disasters.   The crews are composed of people who really care about others and they show this to us everytime we're on a cruise! I was on Silhouette when a group of crew members using their own resources when to a town that was devastated in Haiti and brought Christmas to the children. I learned later that the event was organized by the Michael's Club Concierge.

8 minutes ago, LWFM said:

Edited by Orator

16 hours ago, gwesq said:

So we actually got married on the beach in St Thomas. The officiant of the wedding asked a random couple on the beach to witness the wedding. She happened to be the same lady who wrote this article. She works for NBC

On 9/6/2019 at 9:20 AM, davnade said:

Oh yes there were complainers who were so upset about this. Made me sick listening to them. I just walked away. Celebrity even refunded the guests 1 days cruise fare to everyone. Not that I expected that to happen. We were given the opportunity to donate that money to the relief fund. And that’s exactly what we did. This is the least that we could do to help. 

David this makes me sad that there were complainers.  I talked with a lady last night after dinner who was in the dining room all day helping make boxed meals.  I wish I had known.  Would have loved to help.

5 hours ago, beachgirl32931 said:

EDavid this makes me sad that there were complainers.  I talked with a lady last night after dinner who was in the dining room all day helping make boxed meals.  I wish I had known.  Would have loved to help.

We had no reason to complain.  We were grateful that we were among the 200-300 passengers I estimate got to bag and box up all the meals under the supervision of the Equinox crew. It was a joy to see the Crew working and some watching us work!   It was a very memorable two hours!  First we did sandwiches and bananas and then we switched to chicken with rice meals.  We also had chips, apples etc...….They told me we did 10,000 meals.  It was an honor and one I will never forget.   The stories get legs it was NOT all day just a few hours.

Edited by Nymich
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Nymich said:

We had no reason to complain.  We were grateful that we were among the 200-300 passengers I estimate got to bag and box up all the meals under the supervision of the Equinox crew. It was a joy to see the Crew working and some watching us work!   It was a very memorable two hours!  First we did sandwiches and bananas and then we switched to chicken with rice meals.  We also had chips, apples etc...….They told me we did 10,000 meals.  It was an honor and one I will never forget.

You will likely remember this cruise more than any other.

• Like 2