Airfare to South America

Jimbo59

9 hours ago, Jimbo59 said:

I need advice on airfare from the USA to South America. Prices are high using the three US majors (Delta, American, or United). Has anyone used a consolidator? Anyone used one of the foreign airlines?

We used Aerolineas Argentinas round trip from MIA to BA . Both of the flights were in the day .

Most folk down here use Latam, Avianca, Gol or Copa.  They are all good.  Depends where you are flying to and especially time of year.  Around Christmas down here it gets expensive to fly as it is the major holiday time and everything is expensive.

The main routes are from New York or Miami via Lima, Sao Paulo, Bogota or Panama..

I use Skyscanner to see the many options. 

Edited by Lunenburg

Check out business class fares for Avianca and Copa. I was able to get a good price from IAD (Washington) to EZE  (Buenos Aires). It's an overnight flight so might as well be comfortable, even though neither business class offers flat beds.

Ca

1 hour ago, loerie said:

Using the  Cruise line consolidator-have been to SA now our 5th time -used consolidators and all was good -this time direct flight by cruise line supplier best price and a Direct flight.  

I’v looked at Cruise Line Airfare. Not any better airfare than direct with the airlines. Is there a consolidator that you know about? Can you tell me the name of the consolidator?

You don't mention where you are flying from and to. This info may help to yield more focused responses. We engage in lots of research and sometimes find the best rates via two one-way flights on different airlines. Have you checked JetBlue? 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Check your favorite airline for mileage tickets.  I live in Fairbanks, Alaska and am able to get all the way from here to Buenos Aires for 30,000 miles + $19 using my Alaska Airlines miles.  These flights are routed through Seattle, then either LAX or DFW, and on to EZE.  I've had to use 40,000 miles just to get from Fairbanks to San Francisco before.  Crazy!

Edited by Taters

I booked Copa business class through our cruise line, Celebrity.  It was $2400 round trip from Miami.  Since I have already paid, I haven't kept up with price changes....don't want to be disappointed, I guess.  My concern now is whether the 737 Max will be back flying the route.  It's supposed to be back in January which is when I will be flying...we shall see.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2019 at 12:50 PM, Taters said:

Check your favorite airline for mileage tickets.  I live in Fairbanks, Alaska and am able to get all the way from here to Buenos Aires for 30,000 miles + $19 using my Alaska Airlines miles.  These flights are routed through Seattle, then either LAX or DFW, and on to EZE.  I've had to use 40,000 miles just to get from Fairbanks to San Francisco before.  Crazy!

What carriers please?

On 10/2/2019 at 7:14 PM, clo said:

What carriers please?

We are flying from rio to houston to newark for 70,000 miles and forty something dollars each. United.

20 minutes ago, Mrs f. said:

We are flying from rio to houston to newark for 70,000 miles and forty something dollars each. United.

One way or round trip?  If RT that's a super rate.

And today it was announced that Alaska & American are discontinuing their mileage partnership.  Sigh...

https://www.adn.com/business-economy/2019/10/10/alaska-airlines-to-end-miles-partnership-with-american/

I am going to have to get creative with my air from Fairbanks to Buenos Aires and then Santiago back to Fairbanks.  Ugh!