Cabin steward service

wpas1

2 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

I liked bringing the chocolates home. I seem to remember there was one night when a special chocolate was there. Or am I imagining things?

So far as I know, Norman Love's Chocolate Journeys is still going on. A different premium chocolate every night.

It amazes me the amount of effort people put into analyzing 'hard the room stewards work'.

They have a job to do, they are busy.  I have a job to do at home, I stay busy with it.  Move on with life and stop with the SJW crap of trying to guilt people into turning down service for the sole reason of making their job easier.

Edited by ray98
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, ray98 said:

It amazes me the amount of effort people put into analyzing 'hard the room stewards work'.

They have a job to do, they are busy.  I have a job to do at home, I stay busy with it.  Move on with life and stop with the SJW crap of trying to guilt people into turning down service for the sole reason of making their job easier.

Who is trying to make their job easier?

22 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Who is trying to make their job easier?

Apparently a large percentage of the passengers on this board who say they only select once a day service.  It seems their common reason is 'they are so overworked', "OMG they have 30 cabins", "he looked stressed out".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ray98 said:

Apparently a large percentage of the passengers on this board who say they only select once a day service.  It seems their common reason is 'they are so overworked', "OMG they have 30 cabins", "he looked stressed out".

I choose once a day because that is all I need. Why is someone a SJW because they have compassion and chose to reduce another person's burden? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cruizergal70 said:

I choose once a day because that is all I need. Why is someone a SJW because they have compassion and chose to reduce another person's burden? 

We choose once per day as well. It's a waste of time to do our cabin(stateroom for the politically correct) twice a day. Besides we like our privacy. We go in and out of our cabin at least 5 or 6 times per day. We like to get far from the maddening crowds several times per day, and we just sit out on the balcony, listening to the water, and watch the waves go by and having a funship special. For us it's relaxing.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ray98 said:

must have missed that.  we choose once a day (evening because it fits our needs, been asked every time).  This enhancement (option for selection of when you want service) has been bludgeoned to death.  

17 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

Glad it works out for you that way.  Point is no one is doing anything wrong by sticking with the traditional service schedules.  The amount of guilting that goes on over this topic and the 'plight of the cruise ship worker' in general on this board is baffling.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ray98 said:

Glad it works out for you that way.  Point is no one is doing anything wrong by sticking with the traditional service schedules.  The amount of guilting that goes on over this topic and the 'plight of the cruise ship worker' in general on this board is baffling.

No one is guilting anyone else. Guilt is a chosen response. Don't choose it and you'll be fine.

53 minutes ago, ray98 said:

What is wrong with trying to make someone’s job a little easier?  The mistake I make is I always spend time talking to cabin stewards so I see them as more than just a ship employee. 

7 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

What is wrong with trying to make someone’s job a little easier?  The mistake I make is I always spend time talking to cabin stewards so I see them as more than just a ship employee. 

Nothing.  I keep my cabin very tidy and do my best to make their job as easy as possibly.  However, I prefer the traditional service times I have enjoyed in my two decades of cruising.  If you are willing to forego traditional service standards then go for it, my issue is with those who project how some are 'making their job harder' because they prefer traditional.

Edited by ray98

19 hours ago, fyree39 said:

When I first cruised with Carnival, the stewards had time to provide twice-daily service, chat the guests up, learn their names, knock on doors to ensure nothing else was needed, and so on.  These days, it's typical to rarely see your steward and half the time they can't remember your name. Many of the stewards just look stressed to me.

Believe what you want, but I know this to be true: Carnival takes terrible advantage of these people and it makes me sick. This is the ONE sticking point (cutback) that pisses me off more than anything else. 

You still haven't answered my question.  You're response is basically you know they are overworked because you never see the room steward.  There could be many other explanations.  I mean, if they are overworked because they have 30 rooms, I would expect to see the room steward in the hallway or stateroom doors open all the time.  I walked the hallway a lot this cruise and there were few if any open doors most of the time.  The other explanation could be that the stewards have a lot of extra time because they are only servicing most rooms once per day.  Maybe he / she was pulled to laundry, or even taking a nap.  The point is, nobody knows the workload of these individuals.

Carnival is not taking advantage of these room stewards anymore than they are taking advantage of the wait staff.  Nobody seems to be pissed that the waitstaff for dinner has to be up at 6 O'clock the next morning to serve breakfast and then lunch.  This is nothing more than the standard employee / employer relationship.  If the employee thinks they are being taken advantage of, then they can quit.... simple.

If this so called cutback is pissing you off, then don't cruise Carnival or don't cruise at all because all mass cruise lines are basically the same.

37 minutes ago, ray98 said:

Nothing.  I keep my cabin very tidy and do my best to make their job as easy as possibly.  However, I prefer the traditional service times I have enjoyed in my two decades of cruising.  If you are willing to forego traditional service standards then go for it, my issue is with those who project how some are 'making their job harder' because they prefer traditional.

ray98, I completely agree with you.  I accepted once a day service only because we didn't need twice a day.  If I had 3 or 4 in our room, I would certainly have forced the twice a day.  I don't care what Carnival does with their employees, or for that matter any company.  That is between the company and employee.  I pay for a cruise and tip according to the guidance.  We kept our prepaid tips intact but I personally feel that if the steward only services the room once a day, the tip could be cut in half for him / her.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, buckeyefrank said:

ray98, I completely agree with you.  I accepted once a day service only because we didn't need twice a day.  If I had 3 or 4 in our room, I would certainly have forced the twice a day.  I don't care what Carnival does with their employees, or for that matter any company.  That is between the company and employee.  I pay for a cruise and tip according to the guidance.  We kept our prepaid tips intact but I personally feel that if the steward only services the room once a day, the tip could be cut in half for him / her.

Absolutely.....when it is just the wife and I there have been plenty of times I have caught the steward in the hallway and told them we were good for the evening and just asked that some ice be dropped off.  We hung up our towels to dry and weren't in need of anything else until morning.  Other times when there are more of us there simply isn't enough room to hang towels and such and the cabin simply needs to be refreshed and set up for sleeping.  That to me is part of their job and not some unnecessary burden I am creating.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, buckeyefrank said:

You still haven't answered my question.  You're response is basically you know they are overworked because you never see the room steward.  There could be many other explanations.  I mean, if they are overworked because they have 30 rooms, I would expect to see the room steward in the hallway or stateroom doors open all the time.  I walked the hallway a lot this cruise and there were few if any open doors most of the time.  The other explanation could be that the stewards have a lot of extra time because they are only servicing most rooms once per day.  Maybe he / she was pulled to laundry, or even taking a nap.  The point is, nobody knows the workload of these individuals.

Carnival is not taking advantage of these room stewards anymore than they are taking advantage of the wait staff.  Nobody seems to be pissed that the waitstaff for dinner has to be up at 6 O'clock the next morning to serve breakfast and then lunch.  This is nothing more than the standard employee / employer relationship.  If the employee thinks they are being taken advantage of, then they can quit.... simple.

If this so called cutback is pissing you off, then don't cruise Carnival or don't cruise at all because all mass cruise lines are basically the same.

You were doing so well till the last line😎.  I will refrain from the temptation on tipping even if you veered off the highway into the bridge abutment.  

6 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

You were doing so well till the last line😎.  I will refrain from the temptation on tipping even if you veered off the highway into the bridge abutment.  

Honestly, I would never consider it as an option for myself.  My point (which I may have done poorly) was that if Carnival wants to change things such as only allowing service once a day, then don't continue to increase the tips or daily service charge.  We did consider an additional tip for the room steward, but since he somewhat bullied his way into once a day service, we elected not to give additional.  We did tip additional for the dining room staff.  They were fantastic.

2 minutes ago, buckeyefrank said:

Honestly, I would never consider it as an option for myself.  My point (which I may have done poorly) was that if Carnival wants to change things such as only allowing service once a day, then don't continue to increase the tips or daily service charge.  We did consider an additional tip for the room steward, but since he somewhat bullied his way into once a day service, we elected not to give additional.  We did tip additional for the dining room staff.  They were fantastic.

I will not belabor the point beyond this post, nobody bullied anybody into anything.  The FACTS (see how I bolded the for emphasis 😉) are Carnival gives the option for room service as: morning, evening or both. Carnival's creating the option (actually an enhancement) came about because many wanted once a day (as evidenced by replies here.  How many rooms the RS has to service (with his hired helper) is of no consequence.  That said, you (or me, or anyone else) are free to tip, tip extra, pull tips or do whatever you want.  I was just making the point that peoples justification for doing this is based not on facts...but their "perception".  Sometimes, not saying this is you, people who pull or reduce tips can find creative ways to justify their actions, but in the end we know the "real" reason.

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

must have missed that.  we choose once a day (evening because it fits our needs, been asked every time).  This enhancement (option for selection of when you want service) has been bludgeoned to death.  

But it's not an "enhancement", it's a "CUTBACK"!!!!  🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ParrotRob said:

But it's not an "enhancement", it's a "CUTBACK"!!!!  🙄

just your jaundiced view, if you choose both, it is exactly the same (twice a day).  It gives people options they did not have before, hence the enhancement feature.  I can type slower if it helps😉

Edited by jimbo5544

2 minutes ago, ParrotRob said:

Do they not have sarcasm on your planet?

LOL, touche, my wife is still inquiring which planet I came from... I clearly misinterpreted your post..those darn emoticons

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Wow. I’ve sailed on 5 different cruise lines, including Carnival. Each ship had a method of notifying your stateroom attendant when you didn’t want or need your room serviced through some form of card or in some cases a spinning index outside the door. But now that they ask you it’s an “enhancement”.

I don’t have a single preference. I would be fine with once a day. But I would like mornings on port days when I’m off the ship and evenings on sea days when I decide to sleep in. And guess what, I’ve never had a problem getting this service using the already existing system. I’ll see it as something that is there for the benefit of the passenger when they put that option on their form. Otherwise I believe it only benefits the company.