Breakfast in dining room on all ships??!

missholly24

I'm a pretty experienced cruiser (Platinum :classic_tongue:) and for some odd reason I still don't

have a grasp on breakfast options in the dining rooms. Is it offered on all ships? Do

you sit in the same spot? Both dining rooms? We obviously have always used the buffets

but they are getting busier and crazier as the years pass. One pet peeve I have is finding a seat.

Sooooooooooooo annoying to walk around with your food and search for a spot. Happy Cruising!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

They have breakfast (or brunch on sea days) in the MDR every day. It is open seating. You check in at the entrance to the MDR and they will seat you at a table. As far as I can recall, it is always held in the aft MDR. 

You are correct. 

I primarily cruise to spend time with my children, so they understand to get free passage, it also means we have breakfast and dinner in the main dining room everyday. That also means we show up for breakfast when the dining room opens usually 7:30 on port days and 8:30 on sea days. I hate lines, and the difference between lines and no lines, is usually just a matter of showing up when the dining room opens or 30 minutes later when a big line has developed. 

If you want to spend time with your family, there's nothing worse than the Lido buffet. Kids up and down, missing half the meal while they wander around standing in the food lines.  Contrast that with everyone actually sitting at the table for the whole meal, talking and joking with each other, while the food comes to us. 

For whatever reason, I take some joy in figuring out the best way to most effectively use the resources offered to me. What I've learned is that If a couple wants to throw some fuel in as fast as possible, so they can get on to something else, Lido is the way to go. If you're trying to slow down, and spend time in conversation with your family, then hit the dining room and forget the Lido.

• Like 7

We are not buffet people, so we eat in the MDR every morning.  I can not imagine waiting in a buffet line and then having to search for a table when you can just walk up and be seated, be waited on and enjoy hot food.  Never had a problem getting in and out if we ask for a table for 2 and say we are in a hurry,

• Like 2

On 9/9/2019 at 10:23 AM, riffatsea said:

We always ask for a table for 2 at breakfast/brunch in the MDR.   I am not in the mood then to make random conversation with strangers.

Agreed! My husband is not a morning person and I don’t want others to have to deal with the grumpy monster I pulled out of bed to get a sit down breakfast 😂😂😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grandmarnnurse said:

We always eat breakfast in the MDR. It is a much better experience.

My husband eats healthy and a ton so that can be difficult sometimes. (for example 8 hardboiled eggs without 

the yolk, or 3 bowls of melon). That doesn't always translate into dining service 🤣

20 minutes ago, missholly24 said:

My husband eats healthy and a ton so that can be difficult sometimes. (for example 8 hardboiled eggs without 

the yolk, or 3 bowls of melon). That doesn't always translate into dining service 🤣

In your case, that would be difficult in the MDR. But that’s an unusual example. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, missholly24 said:

A perfect candidate for the Lido Buffet! If I had a healthy appetite, that's where I would graze!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JazzyInRI said:

Agreed! My husband is not a morning person and I don’t want others to have to deal with the grumpy monster I pulled out of bed to get a sit down breakfast 😂😂😂

We order a continental breakfast room service wake up knock at 9, MDR is already closed. We just order coffee, danish and fruit. We relax on the balcony and go get some eggs around 10:30

• Like 2

We have only eaten brunch in the MDR.  This cruise, we are trying different things. We will be eating breakfast in the MDR.  We are usually up by 7.  We have our coffee delivered.  I guess  we'll just chill on our balcony and drink coffee until the MDR opens.  8:30 seems a little late to start serving breakfast. I guess I won't starve til then. 

• Like 1

I will only eat in the MDR for brunch as they have some options I can't always get. It is almost always an hour investment of time to go there. I want to eat my breakfast and then go enjoy my day.

For as hectic as the Lido can get in the morning, I am still always going to get my food quicker on Lido. Always. Control my portions. Any side I want.

My absolute favorite is the breakfast burrito. It almost never has a long wait. Then I enjoy it while viewing the sea or port. That is vacation to me, much more than a dining room.

• Like 2

It's sometimes remarkable how easy and inexpensive it is stand out from the crowd. If someone wants four bowls of fruit and eight egg whites, slipping your waiter $5 or $10 will immediately produce what you want, along with the eternal gratitude of the waiter. Staff does not expect any tips at breakfast. They will love you dearly for adding an unexpected addition to the savings they are trying to accumulate for their families during their cruise contract.

For a very small sum, you get the special breakfast you want in a beautiful atmosphere and you also get to give a fine hardworking person some extra help in their life. That's a win, win. 

Adding value to something, whether a product or an experience, is the path to profit for both parties, this a good example of that. It's always nice to find a way that someone else can help you toward your goal whatever it may be, so you can reward them too.

• Like 1

In my younger, single years we mostly would enjoy breakfast on the Lido deck. Waiting in lines never bothered me and honestly, we never had much issue finding a table. But now that I'm a bit older and have a young kiddo, the MDR is more appealing for breakfast when we have the time. Although, we have had to wait for a table a time or two - but typically only 5-10 minutes. And while I enjoy getting to sip on a mimosa while I wait for a nice breakfast to be served, I have often found the service in the dining room to be very slow...which is ok if you don't have plans. Once, last cruise I had to make sure to tell them I had a spa appointment - they got me in and out of there in an hour, but it was tight! 

Also, the Lido options today are much better than the used to be especially with the addition of the Blue Iguana. My husband loves getting a breakfast burrito or huevos rancheros for breakfast. 

• Like 1