Temporary disembarkaton

rafinmd

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Does anyone know what the procedure for getting off a HAL ship at one port and reboarding at a different port a few days later?

Roy

Roll call friends have done this Roy.  

They contacted HAL and got formal confirmation of the arrangements.  (I know you know they need to make sure appropriate customs/immigration procedures are in place) There can be charges levied IF needed customs/immigration isn’t in place at the port.  It doesn’t happen often but it is good to make sure you have all your arrangements done early.

They then brought the letter on board and presented it to Guest Services on embarkation day to make sure the i’s were dotted and the t’s were crossed.  They kept a copy of the letter, of course 😉 

It worked well for them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Does anyone know what the procedure for getting off a HAL ship at one port and reboarding at a different port a few days later?

Roy

Keep in mind that it may  depend upon where the two ports are, as well as where there initial and final ports are, especially if some of these are in the USA.

GC

Roy,

Ask your TA to obtain a deviation letter from HAL with specific dates.   Once you have it retain a copy and take a copy to the front office when you board the ship.

I just now emailed you a sample deviation letter.

Peter

Edited by SFO PETER
added
  • Thanks 1

My such experience was disembarking at Chennai, India and re-embarking at Mumbai.

No issue.  I showed my cruise card when I needed to do, probably also my passport as well.

"Welcome Home" is what I heard.  (And, I was not part of a HAL Shore Excursion.)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SFO PETER said:

Roy,

Ask your TA to obtain a deviation letter from HAL with specific dates.   Once you have it retain a copy and take a copy to the front office when you board the ship.

Peter

I'm glad you alerted me.  Message extracted from my spam folder.

Roy

Cruisers leave t he ship  briefly and return a  few days later as a fairly common thing.  As pointed out above, be sure you follow all  required notifications and carry written approvals, permissions.

Hi Roy,

when I went to Iguazu Falls on the Grand SA, I did exactly what everyone has stated above. My TA submitted the deviation request letter for me. HAL sent back a deviation approval letter which my TA sent to me. I made several copies and when I got on board I went to Guest Services and gafe them a copy of the letter. They also asked for my flight and hotel information and a contact phone number. I picked up my passport from them the day before I left the ship and had to turn it back in when I returned. It is a relatively simple process.

Patty 

On 9/14/2019 at 6:58 PM, SFO PETER said:

Roy,

Peter

Peter, would you mind also mind emailing the form to me?  moorev64@yahoo.com.  We disembarked last year in Hong Kong and rejoined the ship four days later in Singapore.  Our TA took care of it, but I like to be prepared for the chance is get a response from one:  "Huh?..."

Thanks so much.

Thanks all plus an update which was somewhat what I had feared.  We're all familiar with the PVSA and many think it's a great American shame but many countries have similar laws. 

Some of you know of my obsession with Come From Away.  I am on the Zuiderdam next September Quebec to Boston and the new itinerary has stops at Corner Brook, St. Anthony, and St. John's.  I had hoped to get off the Zuiderdam in Corner Brook and have a night or 2 in Gander before rejoining the ship in St. John;s.  Unfortunately, Canada has cabotage laws which are somewhat comparable to the PVSA, as do I think many other countries.  Here's the response my TA got from HAL:

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line, unfortunately this request is denied due to the Cabbatoge Laws. Our ships cannot go from one Canadian port to another without leaving the Canadian shelf.  Guests would not be able to disembark in Corner Brook it is still in the Canadian shelf.

Best regards, 

Laurie

Thanks for your suggestions.

Roy

On 9/16/2019 at 8:48 AM, Tampa Girl said:

Peter, would you mind also mind emailing the form to me?  moorev64@yahoo.com.  We disembarked last year in Hong Kong and rejoined the ship four days later in Singapore.  Our TA took care of it, but I like to be prepared for the chance is get a response from one:  "Huh?..."

Thanks so much.

==

emailed you the letter.   It is not a form.

Peter

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thanks all plus an update which was somewhat what I had feared.  We're all familiar with the PVSA and many think it's a great American shame but many countries have similar laws. 

Some of you know of my obsession with Come From Away.  I am on the Zuiderdam next September Quebec to Boston and the new itinerary has stops at Corner Brook, St. Anthony, and St. John's.  I had hoped to get off the Zuiderdam in Corner Brook and have a night or 2 in Gander before rejoining the ship in St. John;s.  Unfortunately, Canada has cabotage laws which are somewhat comparable to the PVSA, as do I think many other countries.  Here's the response my TA got from HAL:

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line, unfortunately this request is denied due to the Cabbatoge Laws. Our ships cannot go from one Canadian port to another without leaving the Canadian shelf.  Guests would not be able to disembark in Corner Brook it is still in the Canadian shelf.

Best regards, 

Laurie

Thanks for your suggestions.

Roy

Can you please share what department/email address should be used to contact HAL with a similar request? 

29 minutes ago, HALrunner said:

Can you please share what department/email address should be used to contact HAL with a similar request? 

Not exactly--- My TA handled the request.  She did forward to me their email response and that email address might be the right one:

Reservations Submit <reservations_submit@hollandamerica.com>

Roy

Here is how we did it in Asia.  Ship stopped in Keelung and as DW has family in Taipei she wanted to stay there a couple of days and fly to Hong Kong to meet the ship.  We just told the front desk our plan the day before.  They arranged for us to disembark a couple of hours after the ship arrived.  Had to go to the front desk at the appointed time to pick up her passport.  They also arranged for the Taiwan Customs to meet us as we disembarked and they checked her luggage.  No other problems after that.  I met her at the airport in Hong Kong and when we boarded her key card wasn't accepted so she had to have her picture taken and a new one made.  We found later that she wasn't charged gratuities for the three days she was off the ship.  The ship handled it very well for us.

21 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Unfortunately, Canada has cabotage laws which are somewhat comparable to the PVSA

On the West Coast, where coastal ferry services running from Washington to Alaska could potentially pick up and drop off Canadian passengers at ports within Canadian waters, the enforcement of the cabotage laws make a certain amount of sense. Whether anyone in their right mind would book a full cruise simply to travel from one Canadian port to another, however, is a whole other question. On the East Coast, the enforcement of the laws make even less sense. It's unfortunate that no consideration has been given to making an exception for cruise lines.