Horizon / Live / Solo - Sep 21-29-2019

sid_9169

Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday... The cruise is now half way over with... In another day or so, I'm going to be fifty d@mn years old... It's ten minutes after eleven, and this is the latest I've been up all week... Hell, that's the latest I've been up in a month... I was walking back to my cabin, and saw people out there, sixty, seventy, eighty years old, having a ball... At least I can sleep in tomorrow, not that I've had a lack of sleep this week...

IMG_20190924_230600.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday... The cruise is now half way over with... In another day or so, I'm going to be fifty d@mn years old... It's ten minutes after eleven, and this is the latest I've been up all week... Hell, that's the latest I've been up in a month... I was walking back to my cabin, and saw people out there, sixty, seventy, eighty years old, having a ball... At least I can sleep in tomorrow, not that I've had a lack of sleep this week...

IMG_20190924_230600.jpg

He looks like he's in pain. Maybe the monkey (or whatever he is) knows he has to drink the 2 gallons of special mix soon.....

• Like 1

Wow, I really appreciate your La Romana review.  I cannot tell you how close to booking that excursion we were when we went there.  I kind of regretted not booking it after we went, but I was being cheap.  Your review makes me feel a lot better, so thanks.  In the end we just got off the ship and walked to a local grocery.  On the way we saw some kids maybe 15-20 years old practicing baseball in a pretty serious way.  All I could think was that they were probably trying to get to the US.  

And also thanks for the chef’s table review.  It has been on my radar, but no longer.  Definitely not for me.  

Not at fifty yet but it’s out there, looming, so I feel your pain.  I think once you hit about 37, life just flies.  Seriously, time speeds up.  Hopefully, it slows down a bit after 50.  😎

Edited by Cafedumonde
  • Like 2

I think the reason I am so dissapointed is because I truly feel like I have been on this cruise with you [you have a gift, young man. Oh, to be 50 again!] 

To me, most of the food looked artsy rather than delicous. And...if I had had a something that I really liked, well, there was  merely a taste and no more. Even the bread you liked so much, how different is it than monkey bread with a glaze and shaved coconut on top? ]

Now, the Asian food you had last night, OMG!, I was practically drooling at almost every picture. I was so happy that someone posted that they will be bringing that place on every ship. From the appetizers to the desserts [OMG the desserts!] everything you had at the Asian place looked so much better! And I'll bet they didn't make you take as long to eat your dinner. 

Anyway, sleep well. I am so excited about tomorrow!

• Like 2

On 9/23/2019 at 9:24 AM, sid_9169 said:

Pretty soon, I'll be retiring that 'ol number 49 and trading it in for the big "five Oh"...

67895288_10220527247319904_8703590898509807616_n.jpg

Great read thanks!

I turned 60 a few weeks back at Jacks Shack!

Shots & Drinks with Janet and the crew...!

Happy Birthday.

I have 2 booked on the Horizon next year, can't wait!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

And, we've now reached the very end of the Chef's Table experience... There was one more dish... They call it Mignardises... Like I said, a bit pretentious... Burnt custard tart, almond chocolate, caramel raspberry licorice, and elderflower caviar...

IMG_20190924_212234.jpg

I would consider doing it, but never my hubby. He’d complain the whole time that this food will never fill him up, and we’d have to hit the buffet right after. 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, 2bthere said:

Am I the only one that thinks that this dinner wouldn't have filled up Sid?

I’ve already posted that this menu wouldn’t fly with my hubby. He’d complain the whole time, and need to hit the buffet after. Not to mention, he won’t eat “weird” food, so there is no way in hell he’d even try some of these things. He doesn’t eat duck, lamb, or seafood. I do, though. I love trying different foods. I can experiment with foods whenever we cruise, and he usually sticks to the flat iron steak. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cafedumonde said:

Wow, I really appreciate your La Romana review.  I cannot tell you how close to booking that excursion we were when we went there.  I kind of regretted not booking it after we went, but I was being cheap.  Your review makes me feel a lot better, so thanks.  In the end we just got off the ship and walked to a local grocery.  On the way we saw some kids maybe 15-20 years old practicing baseball in a pretty serious way.  All I could think was that they were probably trying to get to the US.  

And also thanks for the chef’s table review.  It has been on my radar, but no longer.  Definitely not for me.  

Not at fifty yet but it’s out there, looming, so I feel your pain.  I think once you hit about 37, life just flies.  Seriously, time speeds up.  Hopefully, it slows down a bit after 50.  😎

Indeed, time does fly. Hard to believe that I have a son that is your age, Sid. And my hubby and I will be celebrating our 50th Anniversary on our B2B this Spring. Enjoy every minute of your life. Never put off experiences until tomorrow. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Cafedumonde said:

Sorry, it doesn’t!  So if you are waiting for your next cruise, don’t wish the time away...appreciate the time in between. Planning for your cruise 😉

Happy 50 th coming up Sid!

• Like 5

Wow...the Chef's Table is a lot different now...we've done it a few times....enjoyed the experience...but a long time to sit there and eat!  You're pictures were fantastic...

Happy Birthday a bit early....don't worry about 50...it means nothing!  like another poster said...I have kids older than you...and I'm still here LOL...Life is good!!

• Like 4

Sorry to hear your tour wasn't up to expectations.  We must have had a newer van or smaller group.  I remember the bumpy ride, but maybe it's been so long that those cushions were actually 10 millimeters thick and the lifejackets were from the Vietnam War.

The problem with tasting menus is they offer just tastes not meals.  Work well for urban foodies but not for the rest of us.

When you wake up grab a breakfast burrito and a side of arepas.  will help make up for the lost calories.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grandmarnnurse said:

I’ve already posted that this menu wouldn’t fly with my hubby. He’d complain the whole time, and need to hit the buffet after. Not to mention, he won’t eat “weird” food, so there is no way in hell he’d even try some of these things. He doesn’t eat duck, lamb, or seafood. I do, though. I love trying different foods. I can experiment with foods whenever we cruise, and he usually sticks to the flat iron steak. 

I'm afraid I'm with your husband.  The food was an absolute work of art and I appreciate the talent it took to prepare.  I just don't think I could have put half of it in my mouth.  Kudos to those who enjoy it.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I'm afraid I'm with your husband.  The food was an absolute work of art and I appreciate the talent it took to prepare.  I just don't think I could have put half of it in my mouth.  Kudos to those who enjoy it.

Whoa. Definitely have to read that first sentence in context. I gotta get some coffee.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

And, we've now reached the very end of the Chef's Table experience... There was one more dish... They call it Mignardises... Like I said, a bit pretentious... Burnt custard tart, almond chocolate, caramel raspberry licorice, and elderflower caviar...

IMG_20190924_212234.jpg

i thought this was a glass skull.

☠️

• Like 2

I don't know what it is about cruising that makes people so demanding and entitled... I was eating up at the buffet just now, and these two old ladies were just demanding and berating this poor girl almost to the point of tears... She was like "I want a hot coffee, very strong. A glass of hot water. Some apple juice, and some creamer, very cold" keep in mind, this is the buffet, not the dining room. Not that you should treat anyone like that in the dining room either...

• Like 5