Trip Insurance

Tee & Chilli

8 minutes ago, Tee & Chilli said:

Are there any policies which do not have a preexisting conditions look back period?

Yes, see what I posted above.  You would have had to purchase the insurance very soon after you first booked the trip.

Us Medical Insurance or Medicare do not cover out of the country. We always get the cruise insurance. It does pay for transporting out of the ship to the closest near port. However  with recent experience with my nephew you should have an insurance that cover repatriation, which means that if you have to go to a hospital out of the country it would cover the cost of air transport to the US sometimes costly and about 70,000.00plus.  United Health Care Global is an excellent choice. Just please ask the question of repatriation. The transport company does the clearance from the Embassy and State Dept for you. Our family just learned this lesson the bad way recently. 

19 hours ago, vacationers said:

Us Medical Insurance or Medicare do not cover out of the country. We always get the cruise insurance. It does pay for transporting out of the ship to the closest near port. However  with recent experience with my nephew you should have an insurance that cover repatriation, which means that if you have to go to a hospital out of the country it would cover the cost of air transport to the US sometimes costly and about 70,000.00plus.  United Health Care Global is an excellent choice. Just please ask the question of repatriation. The transport company does the clearance from the Embassy and State Dept for you. Our family just learned this lesson the bad way recently. 

US medical insurance MAY cover you out of the country.  Mine does.

But you are right, MediCare does NOT cover you outside the US.

One big advantage to 3rd party insurance is the higher coverage for medical and med evac.  Or you can buy just a medical evacuation polity, such as MedJet Assist.   Also, MedJet takes you to the hospital of YOUR choice, anywhere in the world, not just to the nearest suitable one.

The BIG advantage to the cruise line policy is, it is not underwritten for age, so for older people, it can be MUCH less.

But personally, I do not cover the cruise cost.  By the time the cruise comes, I have paid for it, and if I don't go, it will not be a financial hit.  Just a big disappointment.   But medical or medevac expenses can be huge and unplanned.

My last cruise, the difference between covering the cruise fare or not was over $500.  So 10 - 11 cruises, I am even, and after that, even if I miss one, I am ahead in the long run.

Edited by SRF

On 9/21/2019 at 2:33 PM, Medic5emt said:

Check out all the options from this site. They have many choices, companies and coverage options.

www.insuremytrip.com

taking nothing away from this site.... I personally use squaremouth.com to buy trip insurance.  Most of the brands mentioned above is available on squaremouth.

I've heard good things on these boards about both sites.

12 hours ago, SRF said:

US medical insurance MAY cover you out of the country.  Mine does.

But you are right, MediCare does NOT cover you outside the US.

One big advantage to 3rd party insurance is the higher coverage for medical and med evac.  Or you can buy just a medical evacuation polity, such as MedJet Assist.   Also, MedJet takes you to the hospital of YOUR choice, anywhere in the world, not just to the nearest suitable one.

The BIG advantage to the cruise line policy is, it is not underwritten for age, so for older people, it can be MUCH less.

But personally, I do not cover the cruise cost.  By the time the cruise comes, I have paid for it, and if I don't go, it will not be a financial hit.  Just a big disappointment.   But medical or medevac expenses can be huge and unplanned.

My last cruise, the difference between covering the cruise fare or not was over $500.  So 10 - 11 cruises, I am even, and after that, even if I miss one, I am ahead in the long run.

I know what you mean but I also worked in insurance for many years. There is a clause you can purchase to cover you outside. But per federal regulations it has a limitations. My nephew did not cover but the embassy help with repatriation and transfer to the US. It was a mess. The hospital would not give adequate medical care until we paid them daily. It was the month from hell and our family was totally hurt financially. We had a go fund and it helped.  I went on Tv to ask for help and so did my sister in Newark and in PR. My Florida congressman reached out to me and with his help they contacted the embassy and the State Department to get a US citizen safely out. It was all over the news. When he finally arrived  in Newark after a week in the hospital he was out of and induce coma etc. He is doing much better. Now I know what to do when I travel. I always knew about it but never thought it could happened to my family. I always take the cruise insurance.  Is on record with the cruise ship and they are very helpful. 

On 9/20/2019 at 8:40 PM, Tee & Chilli said:

I'm looking for the pros and cons of purchasing through Royal or independent. I booked through a big box agent who partners with Travel Guard. The quote is more than I expected so I'm looking at other options.

Thanks

I'm not sure which big box you're talking about, but I booked with one of the warehouse ones that recommended travel guard (AIG) and I could not find anyone to beat their price for similar coverage. For me similar coverage on insuremytrip.com was twice the price! And I actually had a property claim that was quickly and easily taken care of. The next cruise I have control over I'm likely to book with them again partially because of the travel insurance. 

Also check through your car/home insurance company.

I am with USAA, and they do not write travel insurance, but they have an agreement with Travel Insured.  I have a special portal and different plans and rates from the normal Travel Insured offerings.

On 9/20/2019 at 8:40 PM, Tee & Chilli said:

I'm looking for the pros and cons of purchasing through Royal or independent. I booked through a big box agent who partners with Travel Guard. The quote is more than I expected so I'm looking at other options.

Thanks

While cruise ship insurance is less expensive it you are up in years it won't cover flights unless you book the flights with the cruise line. It doesn't offer as much coverage so you get what you pay for.  I always use a third party.

One benefit of cruise ship insurance is you can cancel for any reason and get a credit towards another cruise. Cancel for any reason from a 3rd party is more expensive.  I buy insurance to be able to cancel for covered reasons and for the additional medical benefits.

On 9/20/2019 at 9:52 PM, fredflint said:

Berkshire Hathaway has some pretty flexible plans

https://www.bhtp.com/v2/quote/product

Check with USAA or AAA depending on who you have.

I just purchased a policy from them 64.00 for 2. My concern was emergency evacuation insurance. If there is an serious injury or illness I want to be flown back to the US.

On 9/25/2019 at 9:30 AM, BensonFan711 said:

Definitely go independent.  If something happens, and you need to file a claim, you want to be completely separated from Royal to make sure your insurance company is working for YOU, not Royal.  I usually get mine through my TA.

When you book insurance through Royal, you ARE booking a 3rd party insurance company.

They only act as an agent.

You deal directly with one of the major travel insurance companies.

Same with booking insurance through an airline.

2 minutes ago, SRF said:

When you book insurance through Royal, you ARE booking a 3rd party insurance company.

They only act as an agent.

You deal directly with one of the major travel insurance companies.

Same with booking insurance through an airline.

the insurance company still gets a ton of business from Royal, which creates a conflict of interest. 

I don’t buy flight insurance through airlines for the same reason. I either buy it through my TA or my bank. I want someone I know - for sure - is working for ME. 

Given how many issues people have had with insurance booked through Royal, my hunch doesn’t seem to be so wrong. 

I have used both Royal booked insurance and airline booked insurance.

In both cases, no issues.  Filed the claim, WITH the proper supporting documents, and got paid.

In the case with the Royal insurance, the insurance company actually got involved and negotiated with the hospital and the med evac provider to provide the services within the insurance limits.  VERY nice and helpful people to deal with.

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:13 PM, Mythbuster said:

If you are only looking for Medical and Evac insurance, try GeoBlue a division of Blue Cross.  I got coverage for 6 days on my last cruise for $69 for both my wife and myself.  It included no deductible and $1M evacuation.  However, it only covers you while you are outside the US.

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 6:26 AM, Host Clarea said:

Something is odd about this, there has got to be some missing info because Royal's insurance either pays the full amount if the cruise is cancelled for a covered reason, or it pays 75% as a future cruise credit.  As mentioned above, a claim must be filed with the insurance company, not with Royal Caribbean.

we too use GEO for out of the US.....very reasonable

21 minutes ago, knutsonl said:

I initially declined insurance from Royal.  I found private insurance to be out of site!  How can I get prices for my trip through Royal?  Can I still add it?  

Yes...up to final payment date it can be added with RCI.

On 9/24/2019 at 6:08 PM, later said:

Medicare supplement F covers international travel but only up to $75K

Medicare Supplement F is not longer available to new enrollees.  It has been replaced with Supplement G and has a limit on international travel of $50K. 

On 9/22/2019 at 6:32 AM, Host Clarea said:

I found this paragraph which may explain the situation:

In the event that you choose to cancel for a reason not authorized above or for a reason that is
otherwise restricted, at any time up until departure, and you have purchased CruiseCare, Royal
Caribbean International will provide you a cruise credit equal to 75% of the non-refundable value of your Cruise Vacation prepaid to Royal Caribbean International, for your use toward a future cruise. This
additional enhancement is offered exclusively by Royal Caribbean International as a special service to
guests that purchase this cruise ticket Cancellation Penalty Waiver Addendum. Certain restrictions on
the use of these cruise credits (such as blackout periods) may apply. Credits are valid for one year from issue date, are not transferable, and have no cash value. To be eligible for credits, notification of
cancellation must be given to Royal Caribbean International prior to the ship’s departure
Once you’ve
cancelled with Royal Caribbean International, please contact the CruiseCare Help Line at 1-800-453-
4022 regarding cruise credits.

My mother broke her leg the day before we were supposed to go on a RCI cruise last year and was scheduled for surgery the next day. I called RCI early that evening and after initially speaking with someone who insisted it was too late for us to cancel (not unusual getting wrong information when calling RCI about anything other than simply booking a cruise). I eventually got to another person who acknowledged and logged my call about a covered event "at any time up until departure" under RCI's insurance policy. After making a couple of claim-related filings and submitting the attending physician's written report to the insurance company, we got a full refund. 

Edited by taxatty

16 hours ago, knutsonl said:

How do I find out prices?  Is there any medical with this or is it just protecting you if you miss your cruise?  I'm concerned about weather conditions getting there from South Dakota  

Contact Royal.

No, it covers medical, med evacuation, trip interruption, missing your trip, lost luggage, and other things.

20 hours ago, Mythbuster said:

Medicare Supplement F is not longer available to new enrollees.  It has been replaced with Supplement G and has a limit on international travel of $50K.