New to the drink package....questions!

lola4795

I'm usually the kind of person who orders a drink when I see a bar near.  Maybe 5 drinks a day is usual for me.  I'm going on the Explorer in November and have purchased the unlimited drinks package for the first time.  In the spirit of trying lots of new things and getting the most out of the package, I plan to start early with things like mimosas and enhanced coffees.  We will eat breakfast and lunch at the buffet.  How will I get an enhanced coffee or a mimosa if we're eating in the buffet?  Is there a bar that I will pass on my way in?  Or is there another way to order drinks when I'm at the buffet?  Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, lola4795 said:

Pro tip - Specify Fresh-Squeezed OJ for your mimosa if they have one of those orange squeezing machines behind the bar. If you don't specify you don't get it!

I'm usually the kind of person who orders a drink when I see a bar near.  Maybe 5 drinks a day is usual for me.  I'm going on the Explorer in November and have purchased the unlimited drinks package for the first time.  In the spirit of trying lots of new things and getting the most out of the package, I plan to start early with things like mimosas and enhanced coffees.  We will eat breakfast and lunch at the buffet.  How will I get an enhanced coffee or a mimosa if we're eating in the buffet?  Is there a bar that I will pass on my way in?  Or is there another way to order drinks when I'm at the buffet?  Thanks in advance!

On 9/21/2019 at 10:10 PM, lola4795 said:

No problems getting drinks.

The 2 negatives are the package only covers up to $13 or $14 per drink so if your drink costs more you will be charged the difference + 18% gratuity on the difference.

If you are sharing a cabin everyone in the cabin has to purchase the DP.

Edited by grapau27

If I want to get a specialty coffee or mimosa for myself and my wife (assume she's still getting up), will I somehow be permitted to buy two drinks? How about if I have her card (or whatever indicates the package) in addition to my own?

One adjustment we'll need to make is using both cards for drinks for both of us, if that's what it takes. Normally drinks go on my card & hers is probably in the room in the evening.

9 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

If I want to get a specialty coffee or mimosa for myself and my wife (assume she's still getting up), will I somehow be permitted to buy two drinks? How about if I have her card (or whatever indicates the package) in addition to my own?

One adjustment we'll need to make is using both cards for drinks for both of us, if that's what it takes. Normally drinks go on my card & hers is probably in the room in the evening.

If you have your wife's card, they will normally allow you to get two drinks.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Underwatr said:

That actually brings up another question:  Where do we get the specialty coffees?  I know that Starbucks is not covered under the drink package.  What other places will give me coffee drinks?

Just now, lola4795 said:

That actually brings up another question:  Where do we get the specialty coffees?  I know that Starbucks is not covered under the drink package.  What other places will give me coffee drinks?

Depends on the ship. Cafe Promenade, Park Cafe, Cafe Latte-Tudes, restaurants.

3 minutes ago, lola4795 said:

We will be on Explorer of the Seas.  I know they have Cafe Promenade on that ship.  Not sure what else.  

For Explorer, Cafe Promenade would have the most variety of specialty coffees.  However, you can get things like Cappucino or Latte in the MDR and specialty restaurants.

Good to know.  Thank you!   One more question about coffee drinks:  If I bring my own insulated mug, will they make the drinks in that?  I'm in the only one in my group who will want specialty coffee.  I know that I will find myself alone in the Cafe Promenade getting my drink and then meeting them at Windjammer or by the pool.  A mug with a lid will be much more useful!

11 minutes ago, lola4795 said:

Good to know.  Thank you!   One more question about coffee drinks:  If I bring my own insulated mug, will they make the drinks in that?  I'm in the only one in my group who will want specialty coffee.  I know that I will find myself alone in the Cafe Promenade getting my drink and then meeting them at Windjammer or by the pool.  A mug with a lid will be much more useful!

For health safety reasons, I doubt they will use your cup.  However, you can easily pour what they give you into your cup.

• Like 2

On 9/22/2019 at 4:17 PM, grapau27 said:

No problems getting drinks.

The 2 negatives are the package only covers up to $13 or $14 per drink so if your drink costs more you will be charged the difference + 18% gratuity on the difference.

If you are sharing a cabin everyone in the cabin has to purchase the DP.

Also, certain “special” drinks (like in a flashing cup or coconut) aren’t covered. However, I still love the drink pkg 🙂

Edited by vacationlover_mn
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MaryAnn261 said:

I have seen conflicting reports.  Are milkshakes from Johnny Rockets included in the drink package?

Yes, but some ships require a food purchase and some do not.  Typical Royal.

34 minutes ago, ocav said:

Images on this site for the windjammer seem to show a decent sized bar, not sure of its location

Oh, wait. I’m on the Adventure. They may have put it where Adventure did. 

(Voyager class did not originally have a bar in the WJ. That started with Freedom class)

11 hours ago, ddmac91_cruzinmomma said:

Deluxe pkg on sale now for $45pp on our November cruise...what are the odds of it getting any cheaper?

I would buy it now, if it goes down in price you can call and get the new price, 45 is a very good price but would still check every few days.

• Like 1