*facepalm* call to Guest Services

indygirl76

I love it when I know the call center rep's job better than they do. 🙄 I booked on early saver, and then at some point, price adjusted to a past guest rate. There's a new, lower promo going on, so I called for an adjustment. "Well, you originally booked early saver, but now you're on a past guest code. So I can't adjust it." I'm now on hold while he asks a supervisor; I should just hang up and call again.

I remember a time when I was relatively new to a job and didn't know it all.

Thankfully, my co-workers and yes even my customers were patient and allowed me to learn and grow.

I did have some of "those" customers though. But, they taught me something too.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I wasn't mean about it (I used to work retail - I am very nice to everyone in the service industry), but definitely wasn't going to just accept the wrong answer. As it turned out, the supervisor used a different rate code, which was even lower than what I was seeing online. Win all around!

• Like 2

I noticed it is easier to submit the early saver price adjustment form online instead of calling them. the form is located here:

https://www.carnival.com/core/requestforms/priceprotection.aspx

in the additional comments section, i put the name of the fare that i see on the carnival website and i include a link to a screenshot. Usually gets the adjustment in a few hours or a day. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, indygirl76 said:

No, it was after final payment, but with early saver you get adjustments up to (I think but don't quote me on this part) the day before sailing.

Have never used early saver so a trying to learn. I thought you could only adjust to an early saver rate. Apparently not so. So, you can adjust to any listed rate (for which you qualify) and still remain in the early saver category?

1 minute ago, 2wheelin said:

Have never used early saver so a trying to learn. I thought you could only adjust to an early saver rate. Apparently not so. So, you can adjust to any listed rate (for which you qualify) and still remain in the early saver category?

That's right. So if (as in my case) there's a past guest special, you can get that rate, but your booking remains early saver for possible future adjustments. 

• Like 3

I just went through this same thing a couple weeks ago. First I was told I couldn't adjust the rate because there were no cabins in my category available. I said I'm looking online at one right now and gave the available cabin number. Then after a 20 minute discussion about the whole point of booking early saver, getting denied, then approved by a "mgr" I was told I would no longer be able to adjust my rate, that I was no longer booked under early saver. Last week my rate dropped again as 3 cabins became available so I decided to try the online form just in case the rate could actually still be adjusted and not have to deal with the hassle on the phone. I was approved in about an hour and for an even better rate than the one I requested. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

Historically that has been correct and the phrase used was "once Early Saver, Always Early Saver.

One could price match to any other rate for which he/she qualified.  The only exception was if price matching to a "guarantee" rate.  In that case it was a one-time only deal wherein the original cabin choice was forfeited, a cabin was assigned, and Early Saver status was gone.

Given the frequency with which policies change I don't know whether this is still the case.

7 hours ago, shof515 said:

I noticed it is easier to submit the early saver price adjustment form online instead of calling them. the form is located here:

https://www.carnival.com/core/requestforms/priceprotection.aspx

in the additional comments section, i put the name of the fare that i see on the carnival website and i include a link to a screenshot. Usually gets the adjustment in a few hours or a day. 

I normally had good luck with submitting them online on my own, but the last one I submitted, they denied it. The reason given was that we didn't book an Early Saver rate. Could've fooled me, "Early Saver" was right there in the name of the rate. So I emailed our PVP with all the info. and within 45 min., our balance was adjusted.

5 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

In addition to what others have said about matching to other rates, if you price match prior to final payment, they adjust your fare balance. If you match after final payment, they give you OBC for the difference.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, coevan said:

OK, I have to ask since everyone else knows what it is but me. What the heck is Facepalm?

when you get exasperated with someone because either they are not comprehending or understanding what you are trying to explain and you just put your face in your hands or slap your forehead with the palm of your hand.

10 hours ago, indygirl76 said:

I love it when I know the call center rep's job better than they do. 🙄 I booked on early saver, and then at some point, price adjusted to a past guest rate. There's a new, lower promo going on, so I called for an adjustment. "Well, you originally booked early saver, but now you're on a past guest code. So I can't adjust it." I'm now on hold while he asks a supervisor; I should just hang up and call again.

I totally sympathize! My last call for a simple question took 27 minutes! The lady kept going off into other topics, would answer a question with something no where near my question.

I didn't give her grief - I felt like she was trying albeit incompetent.

But hopefully my low scores on the survey will make someone aware she needs more training.

13 hours ago, BananaAnna said:

I totally sympathize! My last call for a simple question took 27 minutes! The lady kept going off into other topics, would answer a question with something no where near my question.

I didn't give her grief - I felt like she was trying albeit incompetent.

But hopefully my low scores on the survey will make someone aware she needs more training.

I declined to take the survey, because I only do them when I can leave high scores!

15 hours ago, coevan said:

OK, I have to ask since everyone else knows what it is but me. What the heck is Facepalm?

0D881C5820C76132EA21FB53F0E9EBB436783E8E

1 hour ago, indygirl76 said:

I declined to take the survey, because I only do them when I can leave high scores!

The surveys not only point out the good, but bring awareness to the bad in hopes that they fix it. I'm not afraid to call attention to a company's shortcomings. To them, I mean, not just on an internet forum. There's ways of doing it in a respectable manner. They distribute the surveys because they want the feedback. You can't expect them to fix a problem with the lack of Price Protection knowledge if they aren't aware some of their reps. need the additional training.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

The surveys not only point out the good, but bring awareness to the bad in hopes that they fix it. I'm not afraid to call attention to a company's shortcomings. To them, I mean, not just on an internet forum. There's ways of doing it in a respectable manner. They distribute the surveys because they want the feedback. You can't expect them to fix a problem with the lack of Price Protection knowledge if they aren't aware some of their reps. need the additional training.

I know, I know. But I also know there are plenty of people who will leave a terrible review, just because they're miserable people, so I try to balance them out by only responding when I have something good to say. I figure just by the fact that the guy had to go ask a supervisor, that right there told his boss he needs help.

On 9/27/2019 at 8:02 AM, footballbabe3 said:

Lordy, I have never seen 2 or 3 price drops and we sail a lot. May I ask what type of cabins are you booking to then get these price drops? 

Just an Empress deck ocean view, but rates are down across the board on this sailing.