NCL Upgrades vs Bidding Process

Project-College

Sorry if these sound like stupid questions but I am trying to make sure I am understanding things correctly and there appears to be so many experienced voices on this board (which I am not one of):

If NCL offers an upgrade, this is a totally separate process from ‘Bidding on an upgrade’, correct?

Assuming so…

Who gets offers of upgrades and when do the offers go out or what triggers them?

On Bidding, how does that start?  Do I got to a website, am I invited by NCL, is it just an email?

Sorry again if I should know these… but I don’t yet?

15 minutes ago, Project-College said:

Sorry if these sound like stupid questions but I am trying to make sure I am understanding things correctly and there appears to be so many experienced voices on this board (which I am not one of):

If NCL offers an upgrade, this is a totally separate process from ‘Bidding on an upgrade’, correct?

Assuming so…

Who gets offers of upgrades and when do the offers go out or what triggers them?

On Bidding, how does that start?  Do I got to a website, am I invited by NCL, is it just an email?

Sorry again if I should know these… but I don’t yet?

The only cabin upgrades NCL offers is the Upgrade Advantage bidding program. At 80 days out you’ll see a banner on your MyNCL. If you book less than 80 days out, then within 48 hrs. provided your TA participates.

You’re probably seeing post where prices have fallen after final payment and if a persons specific cabin is now cheaper they are  sometimes offered a cabin upgrade. This requires you to call and is totally at NCL’s discretion.

Edited by aero777

16 minutes ago, Project-College said:

Thanks I never knew that!

Keep in mind too that when you upgrade and pay the difference between yout original amount and the new cabin amount, this is considered a new booking and you will lose any perks tied to the original booking. Instead you receive whatever perks are available at the time with the cabin upgrade. Sometimes it will work in your favour, and sometimes not. I recently lost some OBC upgrading from a balcony to a Haven Courtyard suite.

2 minutes ago, Project-College said:

so is an upgrade, after final payment, something I have the power to do or does NCL have to 'invite me' to do?

Both. They’ll give you full credit for what you’ve  already paid for your cabin towards the new higher category cabin. And you may be invited to bid, which you have no control over the invite.

I think this worked to my benefit just yesterday.  I had transferred to my travel agent after having booked directly with Norwegian.  I paid in full at time of booking.  I asked my agent to just check and see how much it would be to upgrade from a partially obstructed Ocean View to a balcony GTY.  She came back with $160 total (not per person).  I took it thinking that was a good price from the OV GTY to a balcony GTY. 

I too am not nearly as knowledge as the folks on here so insight on this is very helpful. 

Thank you!

15 minutes ago, Project-College said:

does anything listed as SOLD OUT ever come back?

All the time. As NCL upgrades people through the bidding process, everyone moves up. So, if balconies are totally sold out and NCL upgrades a few of those people to minis or suites, magically, balconies are now available. (Also happens when people cancel reservations or big travel agencies release blocks of rooms). 

I saw Haven prices dropped for my Nov cruise so called NCL for quote to upgrade from spa mini suite. She found an additional $500 savings in their system so we upgraded to a haven spa suite for a crazy low price (compared to the normally super high Haven prices lol) 

1 minute ago, luckyinpa said:

ok so if i wanna pay full price i still have 2 more months to figure that out, bidders arent gonna take these away from me 'tomorrow'

No but they can increase the price due to supply demand, my off season dec 13 cruise on bliss only had about a dozen havens total available since I booked a month ago, couple of days ago a couple more cabins disappeared and the price for h5 went up by 100 and the other 2 categories went up by 200, a Xmas cruise, normally much more popular than a off season the odds are that it will increase in price not lower, nor will many win bids since the can get full price at xmas

• Like 1