New "Progressive " boarding check-in on Koningsdam ?

sailingdutchy

Going on the Koningsdam next month some of us have received the following  "Important Notification " from HAL.

What are your thoughts and will this work , I am thinking of a van of 8 arriving with people in cabins on different decks or with different mariners status 

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION:

To help facilitate a smooth start to your voyage we have implemented a progressive cruise check-in schedule. Please arrive at the check-in time listed below. If you have purchased a Holland America hotel package or airport transfer, your check-in time will be provided at your hotel or the airport. Boarding will commence shortly after check-in. All guests must be onboard 1 hour prior to sailing.
1:00 PM - Decks 7 & 10 - Schubert & Panorama Decks
1:30 PM - Decks 8 & 11 - Navigation & Sun Decks
2:00 PM - Deck 6 - Mozart Deck
2:30 PM - Deck 5 - Gershwin Deck
3:00 PM - Deck 4 - Beethoven Deck
3:30 PM - Deck 1 - Main Deck

We invite our 4 & 5 Star Mariners and Pinnacle & Neptune Suite guests to arrive anytime between 1:00 PM and 3:00 PM. We look forward to welcoming you aboard.

It’s not new. It was in place since at least last December.

i don’t think it works particularly well and discriminated against people on lower decks.

i really don’t want to try to time my port arrival at 3:30. That’s too close to all-aboard and makes everything else a rush- ship orientation, muster drill, etc.

18 minutes ago, catl331 said:

This started with the Koningsdam in 2016.  They are still not enforcing it.

Let's hope they never do.  Would that mean 4 & 5*s, not to mention those in aft Neptune Suites, must wait to board until someone calls their deck?  HAL would have a lot of unhappy passengers if this is ever enforced.  What's wrong with boarding those passengers first who are willing to arrive early?  Just saying. . . .

7 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Let's hope they never do.  Would that mean 4 & 5*s, not to mention those in aft Neptune Suites, must wait to board until someone calls their deck?  HAL would have a lot of unhappy passengers if this is ever enforced.  What's wrong with boarding those passengers first who are willing to arrive early?  Just saying. . . .

??

from that post:

"We invite our 4 & 5 Star Mariners and Pinnacle & Neptune Suite guests to arrive anytime between 1:00 PM and 3:00 PM. We look forward to welcoming you aboard."

GC

4 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

??

from that post:

"We invite our 4 & 5 Star Mariners and Pinnacle & Neptune Suite guests to arrive anytime between 1:00 PM and 3:00 PM. We look forward to welcoming you aboard."

GC

Okay, so I didn't read far enough down that I see these guests can board anytime between 1 and 3 P.M.  My mistake.  Thanks for pointing out that HAL, if they ever enforce these times, make some accommodation for priority boarders.  Unfortunately, I'm already on the ship by then.  In fact, we arrive early, even as 4*s, so we can board at 11:30.  By 1 P.M., I've finished lunch, and if I've carried my own luggage aboard, I've also unpacked.  

Again, if I'm forced to wait until 1 o'clock to check in, I won't be happy.  HAL can change the rules anytime they see fit.  If they enforce it, problems may occur that have nothing to do with priority boarding.  Some people fly in early on embarkation day as in 7:30 a.m.  It would be inconvenient and exhausting for them to wait until 1 P.M. or until their deck is called.  Having done this once, all we wanted at that point was to get on the ship and collapse, starting our cruise with a power nap before getting lunch.  After that one time, we said never again.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

This is old news as said prior! Just go when you want and so enjoy your cruise!

I have never seen people having to wait for Their time. 

Happy Sailings

Denise😊

Agree...it has been hashed out numerous times here. It applied to us, and we sailed on KDam about 4 months after she launched. We are 4 Star, and were in a Neptune. We were on board before noon. It has always been a suggestion, not an absolute rule. Agree it is intended to spread the rush a little.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Okay, so I didn't read far enough down that I see these guests can board anytime between 1 and 3 P.M.  My mistake.  Thanks for pointing out that HAL, if they ever enforce these times, make some accommodation for priority boarders.  Unfortunately, I'm already on the ship by then.  In fact, we arrive early, even as 4*s, so we can board at 11:30.  By 1 P.M., I've finished lunch, and if I've carried my own luggage aboard, I've also unpacked.  

Again, if I'm forced to wait until 1 o'clock to check in, I won't be happy.  HAL can change the rules anytime they see fit.  If they enforce it, problems may occur that have nothing to do with priority boarding.  Some people fly in early on embarkation day as in 7:30 a.m.  It would be inconvenient and exhausting for them to wait until 1 P.M. or until their deck is called.  Having done this once, all we wanted at that point was to get on the ship and collapse, starting our cruise with a power nap before getting lunch.  After that one time, we said never again.

I was surprised that the first time listed was 1:00. On my two K'dam cruises out of FLL, 4-5* and NS/PS were called before noon.

So many hotels make you check out by 11:00 that there isn't much to do other than hang out in a busy and crowded lobby or just go to the port.

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I was surprised that the first time listed was 1:00. On my two K'dam cruises out of FLL, 4-5* and NS/PS were called before noon.

So many hotels make you check out by 11:00 that there isn't much to do other than hang out in a busy and crowded lobby or just go to the port.

Exactly that is another one of my points , hotels would like us to get out of there .

Edited by sailingdutchy

Thank you all for your reply , we were just in August on the Koningsdam and we had no trouble whatsoever to embark around 11.20 when we came from Rome , it was one of the fastest embarkations of all of our cruises with HAL. !  I had never seen this message from HAL before so I thought that this possibly is a " new rule "  but with all of your replies I feel confident we will be on board again before noon .

Cheers 

Tony :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1