Is Port Canaveral Worth a stop?

RandomUser123

On 10/1/2019 at 12:26 PM, RandomUser123 said:

For cruises out of New York (or other east coast cities where applicable) can NCL stop having Port Canaveral stops? Does anyone actually like that stop? Cocoa Beach is overrated. Disney is too far away so trying to do that in 1 day with the bus ride up and back is not worth it. If you like NASA stuff then it might be worth it but other than that why bother even having this stop?

Here's what happens in Port Canaveral........

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, GA Dave said:

That's a shame, because Charleston is an awesome place to visit.  They say we have the same problem taking in big ships here in Savannah, which I cannot understand since we get some of the largest container ships in the world in our cargo port, which is actually upriver from the cruise port!  We had the 13,092-TEU Neopanamax containership Cosco Development, which is 100 feet longer than the newest US aircraft carrier, come here in 2017, and it had no issues with the draft of the river and fitting under the bridge.  Don't understand why the BA ships would not fit.

Your right on beam and draft. The Getaway is only 10 ft shorter (179ft) though so the BA+ have to be taller since they have 2 decks more than GA. (Based on the general New Panamax specs) According to google the bridge has a 185ft clearance. 

So it seems possible, maybe Savannah doesn't want 'em?

9 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

Your right on beam and draft. The Getaway is only 10 ft shorter (179ft) though so the BA+ have to be taller since they have 2 decks more than GA. (Based on the general New Panamax specs) According to google the bridge has a 185ft clearance. 

So it seems possible, maybe Savannah doesn't want 'em?

We have had a few smaller ships come in here during weather emergencies.  The city supplied trolleys to get everyone from the docks to the River Street/Bay Street/City Market tourist areas.  I think the businesses and city government would love it if some bigger ships came.  Last year for St. Patrick's Day, the paper said there were almost a million visitors here in town for the parade and festivities.  So they definitely know how to handle the crowds.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

Not my favorite.  We took an Uber to Ron Jon's, went to Cocoa Beach for an hour, bought some shirts and went back to the ship...Not much to do

We sort of did the same thing but it was a taxi driver who grew up in the Bronx and was wearing a Yankees hat. I told him that I knew a guy who played for the Yankees and that made his day. He took us for a tour of the area ,refused to accept payment .We spent several hours discussing the Yankees .

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

We have had a few smaller ships come in here during weather emergencies.  The city supplied trolleys to get everyone from the docks to the River Street/Bay Street/City Market tourist areas.  I think the businesses and city government would love it if some bigger ships came.  Last year for St. Patrick's Day, the paper said there were almost a million visitors here in town for the parade and festivities.  So they definitely know how to handle the crowds.

Ah, maybe logistics for the cruise lines then. They'd have to visit either Bermuda or the Bahamas (those are the two closes countries) as well. Bermuda/Savannah would add several days (or make Bermuda a 1 day port) since only cruises out of NY/MA go to Bermuda. And it'd be back tracking to go Savannah/Bahamas plus likely need a sea day in there. 

• Like 1

Nothing within easy walking distance of PC port/cruise terminal - some are even further away from the highway overpass/connector/bridge over the causeway - on a warm/hot & sunny day, not fun to do that 20 to 30 minutes walk ... didn't see anything like a 7-11 or even gas station with convenience store anywhere nearby, until you go past the marina on the other side.  Taxis/shuttle ride to Coca Beach or Coca Village are inexpensive - just hop on one & pay the driver on the spot.  

NCL usually docked next to the Disney terminal & one of the landmark is shaped like a large ship with sails, it's the PC authority - nothing there to see nor open to the public.  For the times that we stayed onboard, watch other cruisers walked out the gates & parking area, toward the main road & coming back shortly thereafter.   Inside the terminal building, there are vending machines pre-security & don't even think of bringing "banned" ashore or coming back.  Dropped those off in the huge 55 gallon "amnesty" barrels, no questions asked. 

Since we are in PC 1-9pm, next March/Bliss, we had spent some time in Disney Springs so we decided to go back and spend a few hours walking around and our shore x perk pays for it.     From there we've taken buses to various hotels, etc.. Would rather get off the ship, when we can.

31 minutes ago, tokidoki said:

Since we are in PC 1-9pm, next March/Bliss, we had spent some time in Disney Springs so we decided to go back and spend a few hours walking around and our shore x perk pays for it.     From there we've taken buses to various hotels, etc.. Would rather get off the ship, when we can.

When you say you went to Disney Springs with shore ex, did they drop you off at Disney's Transportation and Ticketing Center and then you had to make your own way to Disney Springs via another bus or cab? Or did they have a separate bus (than the Disney World Transfer) taking you to from the port to Disney Springs directly?
Disney Springs is out of the TnT center loop hence asking.

27 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

When you say you went to Disney Springs with shore ex, did they drop you off at Disney's Transportation and Ticketing Center and then you had to make your own way to Disney Springs via another bus or cab? Or did they have a separate bus (than the Disney World Transfer) taking you to from the port to Disney Springs directly?
Disney Springs is out of the TnT center loop hence asking.

Our trip was a couple of years ago on our own where we enjoyed taking the bus to Polynesia hotel and just walked to monorails! This time we will have a few hours at Springs, but I think we might be on the same bus that takes the folks to Disney parks? Will find out when I book, but it’s cheap, $35 and we have $100 credit, so it’s free! 

I was looking at a Bliss NYC 8-day itinerary that actually stays overnight at PC.  That seems really like overkill.  Or do a lot of folks get off and maybe spend a night at Disney?  I'm thinking I'd pretty much stay on the ship the whole time, but maybe that's too much time to kill.

17 hours ago, tokidoki said:

Our trip was a couple of years ago on our own where we enjoyed taking the bus to Polynesia hotel and just walked to monorails! This time we will have a few hours at Springs, but I think we might be on the same bus that takes the folks to Disney parks? Will find out when I book, but it’s cheap, $35 and we have $100 credit, so it’s free! 

Thank you.

17 hours ago, Tutone56 said:

I've been to the Kennedy Space Center twice.  I absolutely loved it and would go again!  So much history there and it takes a full day to see it all.  I would highly recommend visiting the space center!

it really stinks that even with a 28 hour stay, i cannot see the one thing id want to. it only wednesday to sunday and no way to make the tour since we arrive 1pm sunday. there are so many add ons unsure which one to buy

Edited by luckyinpa

22 hours ago, tokidoki said:

WE are cruising on the Bliss next February and our Itinerary has PC as  1 pm  -- 9pm      are these the ships arrival and departure times,  Disembarkation and Re embark times or something else ??

We are planing on renting a car and visiting relatives in Palm Bay  (45 min away)  and an early dinner with them, we may not have time if the times are arrival and departure times figuring needing to be at the ship 2 hrs in advance of departure and the time needed after arrival to disembark.  

Hoping to make this a fun visit but if the times are to close we will avoid the stress and do something else

Thanks

2 minutes ago, kevink1955 said:

WE are cruising on the Bliss next February and our Itinerary has PC as  1 pm  -- 9pm      are these the ships arrival and departure times,  Disembarkation and Re embark times or something else ??

We are planing on renting a car and visiting relatives in Palm Bay  (45 min away)  and an early dinner with them, we may not have time if the times are arrival and departure times figuring needing to be at the ship 2 hrs in advance of departure and the time needed after arrival to disembark.  

Hoping to make this a fun visit but if the times are to close we will avoid the stress and do something else

Thanks

The two hours in advance is only for the first day. All port days the all-aboard time is usually 30 minutes before sail away. So in your case all-aboard will likely be at 8:30pm. The 30 minutes can vary so make sure you check your freestyle before you leave, and if it's a tender port it's usually more than 30 minues. 

3 hours ago, kevink1955 said:

Thanks

Those are arrival and departure times.

All aboard should be half hour before departure time.

I would like 2 days at their private island instead.

HOWEVER, it's great for me because the ship is empty and we can enjoy it while everyone gets off. The crew likes it because they can go to Walmart for personal supplies.

8 hours ago, aceparty said:

I would like 2 days at their private island instead.

HOWEVER, it's great for me because the ship is empty and we can enjoy it while everyone gets off. The crew likes it because they can go to Walmart for personal supplies.

problem is many folks never make it to GSC,, cause of weather/tenders

Thanks to all that replied to my itinerary time question now for another 1

We are looking to rent a car for the 1/2 day trip.  I have seen in 1 place that Enterprise car rental is a 30 min walk from the terminal and in another place it is 4 miles.  I am not that fast a walker Lol.

I know shuttles are available but Enterprise closes at 5 and we would be just leaving the car on the lot around 7 and assume the shuttle is done for the day by then.  Would just prefer to walk but need to know if it is 30 min or 4 miles.

It looks like about a 30 minute walk.  Last November I rented a car from Hertz which is about a mile further from the port.  The 5-8 minute Uber ride was about $15 with tip. I wouldn't walk it, especially at night due to traffic, but it is likely doable.

Why not drive to the port at the end of the day (and drop off anyone in your party that can't/won't want to walk back), then drive to return the rental car, you can clock how far it is and if you think it's a safe, manageable walk.  If not, just Uber or Lyft back to the ship.