Specialty Dining discounts on board

kal72

Our first RCCL cruise was on the Allure in August 2018 and we did the 3 night Specialty Dining Package.  We enjoyed 2 of the 3 specialty experiences but have decided not to do another specialty package on an upcoming Symphony cruise and maybe just do one or two specialty restaurants.  On our last sailing I remember seeing staff everywhere trying to push specialty dining but I didn't see what they were offering specifically.

Does anyone know whether on-board specialty dining discounts are common place and what specific discounts are generally offered on board? BOGO?

Edited by kal72

Yes, specialty dining discounts are offered onboard....sometimes you see them too much. 🙄

Discounts can vary from ship to ship and specialty dining venues.  For us, when approached by a crew member and offered a discount, we counter with a slightly even bigger discount and see if they'll say yes.  If you ask in a friendly and nice way...you may get the better discount.  Try it...may work for you.  Happy Sailing! 😊

41 minutes ago, kal72 said:

Our first RCCL cruise was on the Allure in August 2018 and we did the 3 night Specialty Dining Package.  We enjoyed 2 of the 3 specialty experiences but have decided not to do another specialty package on an upcoming Symphony cruise and maybe just do one or two specialty restaurants.  On our last sailing I remember seeing staff everywhere trying to push specialty dining but I didn't see what they were offering specifically.

Does anyone know whether on-board specialty dining discounts are common place and what specific discounts are generally offered on board? BOGO?

A lot depends on what the pre cruise sales were like.  I spend my first hour onboard sitting at Trellis bar while my wife makes all our specialty reservations.  Almost always I am offered a discount on some type of package or 50% off on first nights chef'e table. I believe Symphony has never had a chef's table. 

22 hours ago, kal72 said:

The only BOGO now is the D+ BOGO.

I personally like to see crew offering speciality restaurant deals as it offers the opportunity of a good deal.

It is supply and demand and if the demand is low discounts are good.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

Just off Rhapsody Izumi Giovanni's and Chops Grille were all being offered with a 50% discount.

Giovanni's was just about always empty Chops Grille just about half full even at those discounted prices no idea about Izumi. 

We experienced the same on Independence in May.

6 hours ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

We were again offered 50% off of the regular price on board Symphony by the waiters whilst having an early lunch in the Windjammer on boarding day.

Was that at any restaurant?  Or one in particular?  Thank you!

As far as I can remember any restaurant.

We dined at both Chops Grille and 150 Central Park.

The deal was offered to us whilst having lunch in the Windjammer on embarkation day about 12 noon.

There were four in our party and we all thought both restaurants meals and service were excellent.

We dined in Chops Grille on night one and in 150 Central Park I believe it was in night four or five.

1 hour ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

The deal was offered to us whilst having lunch in the Windjammer on embarkation day about 12 noon.

There were four in our party and we all thought both restaurants meals and service were excellent.

We dined in Chops Grille on night one and in 150 Central Park I believe it was in night four or five.

Do you negotiate these discounts, or is this their initial offer?

we have tried a couple of times to negotiate a discount down from initial offer for Chef’s Table, without success.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Do you negotiate these discounts, or is this their initial offer?

we have tried a couple of times to negotiate a discount down from initial offer for Chef’s Table, without success.

We honestly had no intentions of doing any speciality restaurants and this was there initial offer and we thought it was just to good to refuse there were four of us.

Although we have always been happy with the MDR food we were more than happy to pay those extra prices.

We dined at 150 Central Park the first night and it wasn’t half full.

Chops Grille mid week was full inside and about half the tables outside were taken.

From memory we ate at 20.00.

19 minutes ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

We honestly had no intentions of doing any speciality restaurants and this was there initial offer and we thought it was just to good to refuse there were four of us.

Although we have always been happy with the MDR food we were more than happy to pay those extra prices.

We dined at 150 Central Park the first night and it wasn’t half full.

Chops Grille mid week was full inside and about half the tables outside were taken.

From memory we ate at 20.00.

Thanks!

We rarely find the need to eat at specialty restaurants. Would just like to try “Chefs Table” at the “right price” for something different.

I just wondered if there was any point in trying to negotiate, or if they have a “fixed “ discount they are able to offer.

Just now, c-leg5 said:

I just wondered if there was any point in trying to negotiate, or if they have a “fixed “ discount they are able to offer.

They will negotiate, but they also have a limit that they cannot go under.

I was on Symphony a couple of weeks ago and they really pushed the $99/3 restaurants deal on the first day.  I didn't hear anything about a deal after that.

I didn't get it but I'd consider it in the future.  Went to Hooked for dinner and it was good but pricey ($60 including mandatory gratuity).

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

They will negotiate, but they also have a limit that they cannot go under.

Obviously, don’t all sales people have a limit?

However I haven’t even found them willing to negotiate so obviously my skills are not so great.

22 hours ago, mom2t&j said:

Does anyone have any experience to share on the Symphony?

We were on Symphony in Nov. on the TA. Most of the specialty restaurants were booked and full at the 8 pm hour.  Made all our reservations as soon as we boarded and no problem getting the times and days we wanted.  The only place not crowded was Wonderland.  Wonderland bar was packed during the half price happy hour every nite.  On every Oasis Class ship we have sailed there has always been someone at or near Trellis Bar selling packages the first day. We have been able to upgrade a 3 night package to a 5 night package from a strolling waiter selling packages at the Trellis Bar area when the 5 night had not been in the cruise planner. 

My birthday falls during our cruise and I was going to choose one specialty restaurant to book for that night. It's the last night of the cruise. Do you think I am safe just waiting to see what discounts I can get once we are on the cruise? We are not too picky about time but prefer earlier, which I gather is less popular anyway. Do the restaurants ever "sell out"? We are on Explorer.

11 hours ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

Thank you so much for your information!  Did someone walk up to you while you were eating at a table?  Or did they approach you when you walked in or were deciding on your food?  And was the person carrying anything that might give away that this is a person making these offers?  Sorry last question 😬 did you see this happening anywhere else on the ship?

Thank you again!!  I really appreciate it!

2 hours ago, mom2t&j said:

Thank you so much for your information!  Did someone walk up to you while you were eating at a table?  Or did they approach you when you walked in or were deciding on your food?  And was the person carrying anything that might give away that this is a person making these offers?  Sorry last question 😬 did you see this happening anywhere else on the ship?

Thank you again!!  I really appreciate it!

We were approached whilst we were eating lunch in the Windjammer.

The guy was dressed in a Chops Grille waiters uniform holding the menus and a reservation form.

We did not see it happening on other parts of the ship but from reading other posts it obviously does.

I might add that we had no intention of buying a package as we’ve always been extremely happy with the MDR offerings but at those prices thought the deal was to good to refuse and so it proved.

From our experience the selling of dining packages seems to be more active on embarkation day.

11 hours ago, watson61 said:

I was on Symphony a couple of weeks ago and they really pushed the $99/3 restaurants deal on the first day.  I didn't hear anything about a deal after that.

I didn't get it but I'd consider it in the future.  Went to Hooked for dinner and it was good but pricey ($60 including mandatory gratuity).

We had the 3 nught Specialty Dinner package as well. Pre-boarding price of $89 ea.

I also am reading a lot of posting of 50% off regular price. My question is what is the regular price? 50% off is a relative figure in this sense. 

12 hours ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

We were approached whilst we were eating lunch in the Windjammer.

The guy was dressed in a Chops Grille waiters uniform holding the menus and a reservation form.

We did not see it happening on other parts of the ship but from reading other posts it obviously does.

I might add that we had no intention of buying a package as we’ve always been extremely happy with the MDR offerings but at those prices thought the deal was to good to refuse and so it proved.

From our experience the selling of dining packages seems to be more active on embarkation day.

Just what I was looking for, thank you!

• Like 1