Bad example set br P & O officials

Tablelamp

Just returned on P & O Aurora after a wonderful cruise.  The day we were due to disembark, four ‘Shore officials’ visited the buffet area at breakfast time (outside) and promptly lit up their vapes in what was a no smoking/no vaping area.  They were reported to one of the waiters asked them to put their vapes out. Not ten minutes later, one of them lit up again and I informed him that it was not allowed,;  he did put it out again.   A little arrogant and not a good example.   Any thoughts anyone?

If you think that's arrogant try the msc cruise reps!

Commandering a public coach transfer from Venice to Treviso airport, by blocking the door to the bus and only letting her msc passengers on board despite the coach driver protesting to her!!!

4 hours ago, amfc_lenny said:

Commandering a public coach transfer from Venice to Treviso airport, by blocking the door to the bus and only letting her msc passengers on board despite the coach driver protesting to her!!!

Sounds like the sort of rep. you want looking after you while on holiday.:classic_rolleyes:

19 hours ago, Tablelamp said:

Just returned on P & O Aurora after a wonderful cruise.  The day we were due to disembark, four ‘Shore officials’ visited the buffet area at breakfast time (outside) and promptly lit up their vapes in what was a no smoking/no vaping area.  They were reported to one of the waiters asked them to put their vapes out. Not ten minutes later, one of them lit up again and I informed him that it was not allowed,;  he did put it out again.   A little arrogant and not a good example.   Any thoughts anyone?

Just wondering - by "P&O shore officials", do you mean shoreside staff employed by P&O or subcontracted to P&O? Perhaps, if they do not often go aboard the ships, they are not aware of the general no smoking rule? Also, I'm in no way endorsing smoking or vaping (I'm a non-smoker), but I know from friends/family who do or have smoked that it is often a reflex. Psychologically it's the fact of having something in your hand/mouth that is almost as important as the actual nicotine addiction (which is why many people who give up smoking either take up hobbies that keep their hands busy, or eat sweets/snacks and their weight goes up!). The person in question probably didn't even consciously register the fact that he was lighting up the second time, rather than deliberately flouting the rules.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, groovechick said:

Just wondering - by "P&O shore officials", do you mean shoreside staff employed by P&O or subcontracted to P&O? Perhaps, if they do not often go aboard the ships, they are not aware of the general no smoking rule? Also, I'm in no way endorsing smoking or vaping (I'm a non-smoker), but I know from friends/family who do or have smoked that it is often a reflex. Psychologically it's the fact of having something in your hand/mouth that is almost as important as the actual nicotine addiction (which is why many people who give up smoking either take up hobbies that keep their hands busy, or eat sweets/snacks and their weight goes up!). The person in question probably didn't even consciously register the fact that he was lighting up the second time, rather than deliberately flouting the rules.

You are being very kind. These "officials" were in a restaurant and in the UK there has been a no smoking ban since 2007. They will have known.

8 minutes ago, dgs1956 said:

You are being very kind. These "officials" were in a restaurant and in the UK there has been a no smoking ban since 2007. They will have known.

The OP said it was the outside area of the buffet - does that make a difference? Not questioning your correctness, I genuinely don't know as I and none of my immediate family are smokers.

6 minutes ago, groovechick said:

The OP said it was the outside area of the buffet - does that make a difference? Not questioning your correctness, I genuinely don't know as I and none of my immediate family are smokers.

Neither are we but vaping produces a thick cloud of smelly vapour that clings to your clothes. If they were just using e-cigs then that would be different I suppose.

41 minutes ago, dgs1956 said:

Neither are we but vaping produces a thick cloud of smelly vapour that clings to your clothes. If they were just using e-cigs then that would be different I suppose.

Hang on a minute I thought vaping and e cigs were the same thing.

5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Hang on a minute I thought vaping and e cigs were the same thing.

They are the same thing but I was referring to the vaping that produces the thick fruity vapour that creates thick disgusting clouds and the smell hangs around rather than a e-cig where it disappears fairly quickly. I'm sure you knew what I meant.

4 minutes ago, dgs1956 said:

They are the same thing but I was referring to the vaping that produces the thick fruity vapour that creates thick disgusting clouds and the smell hangs around rather than a e-cig where it disappears fairly quickly. I'm sure you knew what I meant.

No and I still don't, I know you can buy different scented oils but assumed they all look and smell the same, disgusting!

18 hours ago, amfc_lenny said:

Yep,sounds like Italian behaviour,lol.

As a non smoker I had no idea there was any difference, and even Google seems uncertain.

Vaping means using an electronic cigarette (e-cigarette) or other vapingdevice. ... E-cigarettes are battery powered and deliver nicotine through a liquid (called e-juice), which turns into a vapor when using the devices. The liquid comes in flavors, such as mint, fruit, and bubble gum, which appeal to kids.

I don't think you should call them P&O officials unless you know for sure. Many contractors come on board the ships in port, from piano tuners to carpet layers etc, or crew visitors etc. 

19 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

I don't think you should call them P&O officials unless you know for sure. Many contractors come on board the ships in port, from piano tuners to carpet layers etc, or crew visitors etc. 

Does it really matter who they are working for directly? They are still bad mannered and disrespectful

1 hour ago, dgs1956 said:

Does it really matter who they are working for directly? They are still bad mannered and disrespectful

I agree it is bad manners but yes, I think it does make a difference as P&O staff should know the rules, whereas contractors might not.

48 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

I agree it is bad manners but yes, I think it does make a difference as P&O staff should know the rules, whereas contractors might not.

Anyone, including contractors, should be given a health and safety briefing by P&O before being issued with a pass to get on board. Everyone should be aware of the “rules”

Brian

21 hours ago, amfc_lenny said:

Good luck if they tried that with me.

Recently in Santorini I experienced some Americans in front of us in a bus queue trying to insist that their children who had not been standing in the queue but waiting elsewhere, should push in front of everyone else and join them.

That might have been fine but their 'children' were in their 20's and so got told to go queue at the back.

Edited by picsa

On a different but similar topic, we all know how important hygiene is on board, hence why we always use the hand sanitizers when boarding after a day ashore.  How do you think we felt when we witnessed at least 5 members of the ship's crew boarding without going anywhere near the sanitizers.  Surely these people should be setting an example?  

1 hour ago, Host Sharon said:

Smoking has been banned in England since 2007 and P&O must by law ensure that all contractors and employees have an induction course prior to carrying out work and part of that will be about smoking.

41 minutes ago, Ataraxia said:

It is not against the law to vape in restaurants.

It may not be, but every establishment has the right to set their own rules,  so on P&O you gave to obey their rules as to where you can and cannot vape.  These individuals were disobeying P&O rules.

Regardless of the law, I can't imagine any UK restaurant allowing customers to vape. The restaurant would soon be empty.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

It may not be, but every establishment has the right to set their own rules,  so on P&O you gave to obey their rules as to where you can and cannot vape.  These individuals were disobeying P&O rules.

Regardless of the law, I can't imagine any UK restaurant allowing customers to vape. The restaurant would soon be empty.

I just have a thing about people making up laws to suit their argument.

Edited by Ataraxia
xx
  • Like 1