Rome excursions

AndyMichelle

Asking for a friend.... Well, my Father in law actually. 

P&O have cancelled his excursion and being the stubborn old git he is, he now does not want to give them any more of his money!! Or it might be that he doesn't fancy any of the alternatives. 

Can anybody recommend any local trips or give advice on how easy/difficult it is to do on your own please. 

Thank you in advance, 

Andy 

I can speak only as a passenger on the P&O 'on your own' coach from Civitavecchia to Rome - grossly overpriced but couldn't really find a safe alternative to guarantee getting back in time.  I'm sure there are ways, but there are risks which we didn't fancy taking.

However, having arrived we had a great day just wandering (9 miles of wandering!) and covered the main sites.  Tiring, but a nice way to do it - I hate organised tours. Not massively well planned, but Google Maps is an invaluable app.

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

I can speak only as a passenger on the P&O 'on your own' coach from Civitavecchia to Rome - grossly overpriced but couldn't really find a safe alternative to guarantee getting back in time.  I'm sure there are ways, but there are risks which we didn't fancy taking.

However, having arrived we had a great day just wandering (9 miles of wandering!) and covered the main sites.  Tiring, but a nice way to do it - I hate organised tours. Not massively well planned, but Google Maps is an invaluable app.

Thanks Harry. 

That is my thinking also, we wouldn't risk it but he does like the idea of going it alone. 

I think he said that excursion was £64, which seems extreme for basically a bus ride... 

Andy 

9 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Thanks Harry. 

That is my thinking also, we wouldn't risk it but he does like the idea of going it alone. 

I think he said that excursion was £64, which seems extreme for basically a bus ride... 

Andy 

I think it was around that mark - scandalous for a bus ride, as you say, but about the only way we felt we could safely do it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

He's not having much luck is he? there's info on cc https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/shore-excursions/port/79/ and of course trip advisor. I haven't been to Rome from Citavecchia before so I can't give specific advice.

Thank you Cathy. 

He had to have his dog put down recently which was his last real connection (except us) to his deceased  wife that he adored, so this trip was supposed to cheer him up!! 

I am sure he will still have a great time. 

Andy 

There is a train station in Civitavecchia for trips into Rome but I could not recommend it as the trains can and do get cancelled, delayed etc and several times we have been on cruises people have been left behind.

Does he definitely want to go into Rome or would a wander around Civitavecchia be an alternative? The town is not big but there are some shops, a market and some local restaurants to eat, drink coffee and people watch.

54 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Asking for a friend.... Well, my Father in law actually. 

P&O have cancelled his excursion and being the stubborn old git he is, he now does not want to give them any more of his money!! Or it might be that he doesn't fancy any of the alternatives. 

Can anybody recommend any local trips or give advice on how easy/difficult it is to do on your own please. 

Thank you in advance, 

Andy 

In June 2017 on Freedom of the seas the ship waited a couple of hours in Civitavecchia for late tours.

We saw several people getting out of taxi's while we were sailing away.

There was also a problem with the trains with some passengers telling us there were 4 hour delays.

It is 1 hour journey both ways and expensive in a taxi.

If he wants to see Rome tell him what I have said and book a ships tour.

His other option is to book a short break to Rome and stay in a hotel.

Edited by grapau27

18 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

There is a train station in Civitavecchia for trips into Rome but I could not recommend it as the trains can and do get cancelled, delayed etc and several times we have been on cruises people have been left behind.

Does he definitely want to go into Rome or would a wander around Civitavecchia be an alternative? The town is not big but there are some shops, a market and some local restaurants to eat, drink coffee and people watch.

I think he wants to do the tourist bit in Rome, but I doubt he will enjoy it, too busy etc, he is not the most patient of people. 

I will recommend Civitavecchia, thank you. 

Andy

11 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

In June 2017 on Freedom of the seas the ship waited a couple of hours in Civitavecchia for late tours.

We saw several people getting out of taxi's while we were sailing away.

There was also a problem with the trains with some passengers telling us there were 4 hour delays.

It is 1 hour journey both ways and expensive in a taxi.

If he wants to see Rome tell him what I have said and book a ships tour.

His other option is to book a short break to Rome and stay in a hotel.

Thank you Graham, great advice as always. 

Michelle is worried sick about him doing it on his own, but he is so stubborn. 

I will tell him your advice, thank you again. 

Andy

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

Thank you Cathy. 

He had to have his dog put down recently which was his last real connection (except us) to his deceased  wife that he adored, so this trip was supposed to cheer him up!! 

Andy 

Hello Andy,

I am sorry to hear about his dog, I can imagine how hard that has been. I think with a cruise we forget that the destinations are only a small part of the experience and that the cruising part is the biggest aspect, so I really hope he still does have a wonderful time onboard. 

My parents have been to Rome and said how busy it is, so is there an alternative excursion he could go on? Even a half day one? But as others have said Civitavecchia is apparently a nice place to walk around, it may be a little more relaxing for him. 

Do let us know how he gets on,

Best Wishes

Carla

• Like 1

Andy, I think he is on the same cruise as us. The 'Rome on your own' coach tour is £52. We have done this before and like it better than the trains, which are often unreliable. We will probably do this trip. You are given a fairly detailed map on the coach and from where you are dropped off should quite easily be able to see:  Colosseum, Forum, Trevi fountain, Spanish steps, and the Vatican. If he wants to do any of these in detail he will just have to make a choice. Rome is very busy but quite easy to navigate. It is however wick with pickpockets. Make sure he doesn't take too much cash with him and to have zipped up pockets.

Out of interest which excursion was cancelled.

7 hours ago, happy v said:

Andy, I think he is on the same cruise as us. The 'Rome on your own' coach tour is £52. We have done this before and like it better than the trains, which are often unreliable. We will probably do this trip. You are given a fairly detailed map on the coach and from where you are dropped off should quite easily be able to see:  Colosseum, Forum, Trevi fountain, Spanish steps, and the Vatican. If he wants to do any of these in detail he will just have to make a choice. Rome is very busy but quite easy to navigate. It is however wick with pickpockets. Make sure he doesn't take too much cash with him and to have zipped up pockets.

Out of interest which excursion was cancelled.

Thank you so much. 

He got pick pocketed in China, leaving his wallet in his jacket on the back of a chair outside a cafe!!! And they say you become wise with age... Hopefully he has learned his lesson. 

He is just so stubborn, it is hard to get him to take advice. Money is not the issue, its principle. 

Not sure what trip was cancelled but will find out and let you know. 

Have a fantastic time, not long now.. 

Andy 

12 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Thank you Cathy. 

Andy 

Oh Andy I am  so sorry to hear that. Well I do hope this trip cheers him up. I think if he wants to use a different company for his Rome trip then he should be ok to get back. The other tour companies will get him back because if they don't then they have to pay for accommodation and onward travel costs to the ship. The problems with late arrivals seem to occur with trains and taxis. BTW we are doing the Essence of Rome Trip. I did look for a cheaper alternative but could only find something on Viator which was the same price as P&O. In fact for the first time ever the P&O trip worked out cheaper as we got a loyalty discount.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Thank you so much. 

He got pick pocketed in China, leaving his wallet in his jacket on the back of a chair outside a cafe!!! And they say you become wise with age... Hopefully he has learned his lesson. 

He is just so stubborn, it is hard to get him to take advice. Money is not the issue, its principle. 

Not sure what trip was cancelled but will find out and let you know. 

Have a fantastic time, not long now.. 

Andy 

Another point Andy, there are three cruise ships in the day we go. All the trains and local transport will be extremely busy so a ship excursion is definitely the best option.

If he can handle China Rome will be a doddle.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, happy v said:

Another point Andy, there are three cruise ships in the day we go. All the trains and local transport will be extremely busy so a ship excursion is definitely the best option.

If he can handle China Rome will be a doddle.

That's the point, he didn't handle China very well, hence the pick pocketing.. Plus he had his Grandson with him, this time he will be alone. 

He will be fine, we just worry about him. 

I gave him yours and Cathy's advice and he is now going to book with P&O, phew... 

Thanks again to all of you for the great advice and concern. 

Andy 

11 hours ago, Cathygh said:

Oh Andy I am  so sorry to hear that. Well I do hope this trip cheers him up. I think if he wants to use a different company for his Rome trip then he should be ok to get back. The other tour companies will get him back because if they don't then they have to pay for accommodation and onward travel costs to the ship. The problems with late arrivals seem to occur with trains and taxis. BTW we are doing the Essence of Rome Trip. I did look for a cheaper alternative but could only find something on Viator which was the same price as P&O. In fact for the first time ever the P&O trip worked out cheaper as we got a loyalty discount.

I did the essence of Rome tour last November. Well I did if it included lunch.  Would NEVER do again the lunch wasted too much time.  Picked up from port with one guide then collected a second as we got to Rome.  The tour was disorganised unable to get photos as if not in focus no time to retake.  Guides could not find the coach much too rushed.  Rushed through the vatican.  Too too much time allocated to Trevi Fountain, lunch and shopping at Vatican.  Two guides had a stand up row looking for the coach.  When we left to return to port lost half group waited around then eventually picked them up at another stop.  No comfort stop on return leg and arrived back half an hour early.  Would think Rome on your own would be better as you can decide what you would like to see and how long to spend can purchase vatican tickets online to avoid queues and be guaranteed getting back to ship on time.  Did complain to excursion team on Aurora but girl I spoke to could not have cared less but did get a satisfactory response from the manager.

• Like 1

Hi Andy,best to book timeslots online with Coloseum and Cistene chapel.It saves loads of time and you walk straight in, jumping the queues.Just make sure they are the official websites.

• Like 1

1st time we went we took the "Rome on your own" excursion and though we had a good day we didn't enjoy the coach trip (it was a busy day for ships in port and the journey was delayed with a chaotic stop at a very overcrowded services). Following that we had 2 successful independent trips via the trains with no problems whatsoever (though I do respect others comments about potential delays etc.).

Nowadays we always stay in Civitavecchia as our son loves having a swim at the lido at the Water Polo club. Last time we were there I went to Sunday mass in the Cathedral then met with the rest of our group at Mastro Titta Pizzeria for lunch followed by an afternoon at the lido.

Obviously it's hard to know what will appeal to your father-in-law but if he stays in port a stroll down the promenade followed by a good lunch in a friendly restaurant may be of interest?

Mastro Titta.png

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, brian1 said:

Hi Andy,best to book timeslots online with Coloseum and Cistene chapel.It saves loads of time and you walk straight in, jumping the queues.Just make sure they are the official websites.

Thanks Brian, we have just had that discussion over a few pints of Peroni. 

He is probably still mumbling something about a scandal, £5.20 a pint!!! 

Andy 

6 hours ago, DamianG said:

1st time we went we took the "Rome on your own" excursion and though we had a good day we didn't enjoy the coach trip (it was a busy day for ships in port and the journey was delayed with a chaotic stop at a very overcrowded services). Following that we had 2 successful independent trips via the trains with no problems whatsoever (though I do respect others comments about potential delays etc.).

Nowadays we always stay in Civitavecchia as our son loves having a swim at the lido at the Water Polo club. Last time we were there I went to Sunday mass in the Cathedral then met with the rest of our group at Mastro Titta Pizzeria for lunch followed by an afternoon at the lido.

Obviously it's hard to know what will appeal to your father-in-law but if he stays in port a stroll down the promenade followed by a good lunch in a friendly restaurant may be of interest?

Mastro Titta.png

Thank you Damian. 

He seems to want to do the proper tourist bit with an eye on returning at a later date for a long weekend to explore Rome properly. 

Civitavecchia sounds perfect for us, we will give it a go when we visit. 

Andy 

3 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Thanks Brian, we have just had that discussion over a few pints of Peroni. 

He is probably still mumbling something about a scandal, £5.20 a pint!!! 

Andy 

LOL.he should live here 1.80 euro for a 3 pack.