What to do with Car for a Longer Cruise

tring

We started using Cruisepark Southampton when looking for parking for the world cruise.

We have used them ever since. It is an indoor garage which takes approx 40 cars. They are  less expensive than CPS, only about a mile from the port and they provide a taxi to and from the port in the price. No coming back to a dirty car full of seagull poo. We use them for shorter cruises as well as the longer winter ones.  

Sue 

• Like 1

Some more interesting comments, thanks for all that extra information.

I rather like the idea of a hotel in the New Forest after a full day on the road, but would make sure we left in plenty of time and check there were no events due then before we book.  My husband was looking at one near Botley that does similar.  Regards National Express we can usually do very well with prices of train travel from Liverpool (if we buy the tickets at the right time) and we find that a better experience, leaving Liverpool about the middle of the day - but thanks for the thought.

Will make a note of the other parking options as well.  TBH we are thinking of booking a long cruise for 2021, but were wondering if our usual choice of P&O's parking was worthwhile and after looking into it have decided any extra onboard spend is probably better.  We can then decide whether to drive or come down by train nearer to the time, but soon enough to get a decent hotel rate.  If we book on a can cancel basis we can even change our minds on method of travel just before we come down if we want to, so seems worth it if only for the flexibility. 

Have you thought about parking on Southampton Airport and either catching a train or a cab from there.

I priced up Southampton Airport for a week for our Iona cruise next year and their long stay was coming in far cheaper than any dock parking.

Guess it depends if you need the hassle of lunking your cases onto a train rather than just giving it to the porters.

1 hour ago, mickrory said:

Have you thought about parking on Southampton Airport and either catching a train or a cab from there.

I priced up Southampton Airport for a week for our Iona cruise next year and their long stay was coming in far cheaper than any dock parking.

Guess it depends if you need the hassle of lunking your cases onto a train rather than just giving it to the porters.

By the time you have paid the parking at airport and then added either a taxi to the dock or price of train then taxi from train station to dock and then the same on return it is very impractical for us and doesnt save any money if anything it would cost more.

Edited by majortom10

I've just been looking at parking options for our 2 week cruise in April.

Prices so far are:

CPS: £162

CruisePark: £114

Parking4Cruises: £109

Southampton Airport £69

Obviously the airport is the seemingly cheapest option, but by the time you add on the cost of taxis, trains etc, plus the hassle, the saving does not seem worthwhile.

I haven't looked to hotel/parking combinations, because, whilst they are a nice start to the holiday, the cost is always significantly greater than my preferred option of Premier Inn plus Parking4Cruises.  

10 hours ago, mickrory said:

If we come down by train we would likely have two cases collected from home by the Baggage handling company and just take one case and the hand luggage with us.  In a way that is the appeal of coming down by train (and that journey would take us to Southampton train station, which is very central).  Given the extra cost of the two way baggage transfer it is probably more likely that we will drive down, in which case a hotel with parking will probably be best for us as things stand at present.

We always stay in a hotel on or very near Manchester airport before we fly unless our flight is after about 2pm, even though we are only a 45 mins drive away.  There is something about not having to drive on the day you fly (or embark a ship), just not worth the hassle in our opinion.  Lots of options here though so good to have thought of other options and have ideas to vary those arrangements if we wish to.  I see a lot of other people are finding the thread useful as well.

So thanks again everyone for the suggestions.

We're doing the P&O cruise from Southampton to the Canaries leaving on 22nd December . Checked out the various options and decided to go with 1 night at the Leonard Royal Hotel fro £153.50. This includes parking for the duration of the cruise .

Seems like a really good deal and the rerviews appear to be fairly good .

2 hours ago, peteM3 said:

We're doing the P&O cruise from Southampton to the Canaries leaving on 22nd December . Checked out the various options and decided to go with 1 night at the Leonard Royal Hotel fro £153.50. This includes parking for the duration of the cruise .

Seems like a really good deal and the rerviews appear to be fairly good .

You threw me there Pete, didn't recognise the name. 

It was the Grand Harbour. 

Nice Hotel and very well set up for pre cruise. 

A lot of the cruise entertainers do shows in there, so a great start to your holiday. 

Have a fantastic time. 

Andy 

21 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

You threw me there Pete, didn't recognise the name. 

It was the Grand Harbour. 

Nice Hotel and very well set up for pre cruise. 

A lot of the cruise entertainers do shows in there, so a great start to your holiday. 

Have a fantastic time. 

Andy 

Thanks Andy !

Taxi transfers to the port are also included , but looking at maps and depending on terminal it may just be better to walk over .

Edited by peteM3
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, indiana123 said:

Its the Leonardo Royal for us too.. same date 22nd December.   It seemed a very good deal.  We checked and double checked and it was correct.

Nice way to start a cruise, no worrying about motorways etc.

Oh absolutely .

Was checking the various parking options and when I saw this was pleasantly suprised .

11 minutes ago, peteM3 said:

Oh absolutely .

Was checking the various parking options and when I saw this was pleasantly suprised .

The Leonardo Royal does have some excellent deals for cruise parking for certain dates but just a word of warning. I booked their cruise package 2 weeks ago, with free cancellation, for our cruise in June 2020, since then it's gone up £50 for the same date so if anyone's interested don't hang around. 

43 minutes ago, peteM3 said:

Thanks Andy !

Taxi transfers to the port are also included , but looking at maps and depending on terminal it may just be better to walk over .

We thought that a few weeks ago.The rear port gate is next to the HI where we stayed,but closed to pedestrians.We decided to walk anyway and it turned out to be a mission,trundling along a dual carriageway for half hour with 4 bags.Everyone driving past must have thought,tight sods.

Edited by brian1

8 minutes ago, brian1 said:

We thought that a few weeks ago.The rear port gate is next to the HI where we stayed,but closed to pedestrians.We decided to walk anyway and it turned out to be a mission,trundling along a dual carriageway for half hour with 4 bags.Everyone driving past must have thought,tight sods.

Thanks for the heads up Brian . Always thought that might have been the actuality , and so it seems .

Look on the bright side . It was not all in vain - you've saved us ( and probably others ) from going through the same experience !

• Like 1

we drive down from Yorkshire & stay at the New Place, Sherrill Heath on their cruise package.  This year was £219 & includes B&B, a delicious dinner , Taxi to & from port and car parking.  No extra for 28 days parking.  We stay every year.   The 1 year they couldn't fit us in we stayed at the Southampton Doubletree Hilton, again on their cruise package.  Was more expensive than New Place but nearer the port.

3 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

We always stay in a hotel the night before the cruise but I have never considered using one that allows cruise parking because of the hotel car parks are always open to general public at all times and most are not very secure.

We prefer to use a 'valet parking' operation, so that we can just walk straight to the car on arrival, rather than fiddling about with taxis, buses etc.