Has anyone had the $50 deposit waived

Cruisin 4 Ever

I booked a Mediterranean cruise for next October several months back through my PVP

I just found out my nephew is getting married during that time and I really don't want to miss the wedding so we've decided to change the cruise date to the week before.

We booked early saver and paid the $400 deposit.  I was wondering if anyone has had luck in getting the full $400 transferred to a new booking when they were booked under the early saver fare which normally only allows the deposit minus $50 pp?

34 minutes ago, Cruisin 4 Ever said:

I booked a Mediterranean cruise for next October several months back through my PVP

I just found out my nephew is getting married during that time and I really don't want to miss the wedding so we've decided to change the cruise date to the week before.

We booked early saver and paid the $400 deposit.  I was wondering if anyone has had luck in getting the full $400 transferred to a new booking when they were booked under the early saver fare which normally only allows the deposit minus $50 pp?

The $50 is a change fee for the early saver rate. This is clearly stated in the rules for early saver and I have never had or heard of it waived for any reason.

• Like 1

@Purvis1231 claims they get the $50 fee waived frequently.

"Some of the cruises have been past guest rate with no change fee  but two where early saver rates. I have had the same PVP for many years and I told him from the beginning my schedule often changes so when we book year or so in advance the date may need to be changed, Our PVP arranged to have the $50 fee waived when we changed the date. "

Carnival waived the fee for me once, but I believe the fact that I had about 10 other cruises already booked for the future weighed somewhat on their decision to do so.  Also, as I recall, I was wanting to cancel a 7 day cruise and move it to a newly booked 16 day cruise, so the longer cruise did mean an increase in revenue for Carnival.

In waiving the fee, Carnival made it abundantly clear that this was a 'one-time-only deal' and I shouldn't count on it happening again in the future.

Garnett

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have had to change ES bookings for several cruises and have never had the $50 PP fee waived. However, I am pretty sure I have read comments online before that some people were successful getting this fee waived. 

EDIT. While I was typing my original post a few posts were made about success with waiving the fee. 

Edited by PhillyFan33579
  • Thanks 1

I always book Early Saver.  A few years ago, I changed to a different sail date shortly after booking in order to get the Private Oasis for our stop at HMC (for our original choice of sail date someone else had already booked the PO).  My PVP waived the the $50 fee without me even asking him to do so.  I never even considered that I wouldn't have to pay the fee, based on the rules, so I would never have asked to be exempted.  He just did it and told me that he had.  I was surprised and grateful.  Although I didn't expect it and won't expect it in the future if I ever need to change again, it became a bullet point in my "Why It Can Be Beneficial to Have a Good PVP" list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, StolidCruiser said:

I'm sure if you explain to them your nephew is getting married, they'll waive that fee you agreed to when you booked that cheaper Early Saver fare.  Give them a call and ask!

Is this a joke? Why would that excuse be an different than anyone else’s reason to have to move their cruise and having to pay the $50 fee? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StolidCruiser said:

I'm sure if you explain to them your nephew is getting married, they'll waive that fee you agreed to when you booked that cheaper Early Saver fare.  Give them a call and ask!

I would be very surprised if they waived the fee for this reason.  

• Like 1

We did once. We had booked as 3 for memorial day weekend. By the time my SO decided he wanted to attend, there were no 4 person cabins or 2 persons close enough to meet the rules for my kids ages. So we switched weeks to a couple weeks earlier & paid the $150 penalty.

Then of course, wouldn't you know, 2 days later an important event for my daughter popped up for the new booked date. We called to change dates again & asked to waive the fee & explained the situation figuring it couldn't hurt to ask. Carnival agreed noting it was a one time courtesy & stating we had to be firm on dates this time (we were). We were very grateful. We left the original $150 alone- never asked about that. Can't be greedy. 

4 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

I always book Early Saver.  A few years ago, I changed to a different sail date shortly after booking in order to get the Private Oasis for our stop at HMC (for our original choice of sail date someone else had already booked the PO).  My PVP waived the the $50 fee without me even asking him to do so.  I never even considered that I wouldn't have to pay the fee, based on the rules, so I would never have asked to be exempted.  He just did it and told me that he had.  I was surprised and grateful.  Although I didn't expect it and won't expect it in the future if I ever need to change again, it became a bullet point in my "Why It Can Be Beneficial to Have a Good PVP" list.

Just adding a note:  I forgot to mention that this booking was for my family of 4.  So my PVP saved me $200, not just $50, when he was able to waive the fee.:classic_smile:

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Is this a joke? Why would that excuse be an different than anyone else’s reason to have to move their cruise and having to pay the $50 fee? 

I wouldn't call it a joke exactly, I would call it more of an asinine sarcastic response. Folks, if you don't want to provide a helpful response, just move on past.

On 10/7/2019 at 7:34 AM, Retired_to_Cruise said:

The $50 is a change fee for the early saver rate. This is clearly stated in the rules for early saver and I have never had or heard of it waived for any reason.

They have waived it for me before. Honestly, didnt act like it was any big deal. Since I was changing and booking a new cruise, they rolled the entire deposit onto the new booking. 

8 hours ago, hawaiibound24 said:

We have had it waved a couple of times. Talk nicely to them and ask if it can be waved and they might. Also, if you are spending more on the new date, that helps. 

Right, be nice and book a more expensive cruise or cabin.