Circumnavigating Australia via Cruise Ship - Tips?

Jlhalldc

We are excited about our upcoming cruise, which will circumnavigate Australia in 36 days on Regent Navigator January 23 - March 2, 2020.  Have any of you done a circumnavigation?Any advice? Must sees? Cruise length tips?

Circling Australia has been a goal of ours for a long time. We got a taste for this wonderful country when it was our jumping off point for a cruise around New Zealand several years ago.

It's our second Regent cruise (Voyager Med cruise September 2018). Navigator seems to get savaged in many CC reviews but I'm hoping that these are the exception and that the recent refit has helped. We love Celebrity Cruises, too.

Regent Australia Circumnavigation Map.png

That's a fabulous itinerary with something different in every port. I suggest you google each of the towns for background knowledge, then read through all the ship's advertised shore excursions to get an idea of what's available. There's some good info on all those ports here on CC.

• Thanks 1

What an adventure you are going to have on such a wonderful cruise around Australia.  Enjoy!

Quick comments from my experience, to get you started -

Be aware that this is the cyclone season in northern Australia,, so you may experience a Low and/or heavy rain. 

You'll need to book a trip to the Great Barrier Reef with the ship, as not longer enough time in port to book independently.

Mooloolaba is a beautiful ocean beach on the Sunshine Coast.  Be aware that due to sea conditions, not all ships can tender passengers here.

Esperance, WA - Hire a car and drive to Cape Le Grand National Park, with the most beautiful beaches in Australia.  When we camped  there in September, the wild flowers were spectacular and there were kangaroos on the beach.  One of Australia's special places!

Kangaroo Island - go on ship's tour, as driving distances are long to main attractions.  This is another of Australia's special places.   

• Thanks 1

We did the circumnavigation of Australia a few years ago, on Oceania before Regent started it.   From an itinerary standpoint, it was one of our best cruises ever. Completely agree with Cape Le Grand National Park, Regent actually has a very nice excursion there.

We have spent almost 200 days on Navigator and are booked again next year. We love the small size, and the very dedicated crew which offers fantastic service.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the destination tips and cyclone warning.  Particularly Cape Le Grand. And thanks BBWC for reassuring us about Navigator. Hopefully she is small enough to get into smaller ports and that weather allows her tenders to do get us to land. This is the longest cruise we have ever taken and we are a bit intimidated. Many sea days and a very small ship. Good thing or bad? 

1 hour ago, Jlhalldc said:

Thank you for the destination tips and cyclone warning.  Particularly Cape Le Grand. And thanks BBWC for reassuring us about Navigator. Hopefully she is small enough to get into smaller ports and that weather allows her tenders to do get us to land. This is the longest cruise we have ever taken and we are a bit intimidated. Many sea days and a very small ship. Good thing or bad? 

Good thing.  Small ship, but not so very small!  (I just did a cruise on a very small ship of 100 passengers.)

There are so many advantages to cruising on small ships.  You will come to appreciate the sea days and the rhythm of life on a small ship.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Thank you to everyone who gave us good advice before our 36-day Circle Australia cruise. We had a terrific time on Navigator and loved meeting so many fun fellow passengers. Her small size encourages meeting others. 

If interested, here's a link to my review of our trip:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=679452&et_cid=3317225&et_rid=235542030&et_referrer=newsletterPopup_control

4 hours ago, Jlhalldc said:

Thank you to everyone who gave us good advice before our 36-day Circle Australia cruise. We had a terrific time on Navigator and loved meeting so many fun fellow passengers. Her small size encourages meeting others. 

If interested, here's a link to my review of our trip:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=679452&et_cid=3317225&et_rid=235542030&et_referrer=newsletterPopup_control

Thank you for providing link to your review.  Pleased you had a terrific time on your cruise around Australia. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi -

Esperance boasts "the other Stonehenge". Actually, it's a very interesting site, and a fairly short shuttle bus ride out to it. On the way back to the tender pier, the driver let me off in the small town so I could wander Woolworth and try a Meat sandwich. We did a B2B2B on Celebrity 5 years ago.

Also, look on the Bali board and pre-hire a driver to take you on a tour with 1 other couple. Best way to see the spots you want to go to (temples, wood carving factory, shopping and more mopeds than you can imagine!)

Beaches are nice, but for me, sand is sand is ...

Happy sailing!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are on Oceania Regatta circumnavigation Australia Dec 3.  Identical itinerary.

DO YOU THINK ships will be back to cruising by then?   I don't know whether or not to start looking for excursions 

I think the chances of that cruise going ahead is very slight. Australia is saying it won't reopen it's borders to overseas visitors before 2021. However that may change if they control the virus and/or create a vaccine and get it into quick production ... but don't hold your breath on that happening.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2020 at 9:04 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

I think the chances of that cruise going ahead is very slight. Australia is saying it won't reopen it's borders to overseas visitors before 2021. However that may change if they control the virus and/or create a vaccine and get it into quick production ... but don't hold your breath on that happening.

Fortunately, we took this cruise in Jan.-Feb. of this year. Perfect timing. Enjoyed it immensely. 

On 3/31/2020 at 9:39 PM, lizbeth said:

Hi -

Esperance boasts "the other Stonehenge". Actually, it's a very interesting site, and a fairly short shuttle bus ride out to it. On the way back to the tender pier, the driver let me off in the small town so I could wander Woolworth and try a Meat sandwich. We did a B2B2B on Celebrity 5 years ago.

Also, look on the Bali board and pre-hire a driver to take you on a tour with 1 other couple. Best way to see the spots you want to go to (temples, wood carving factory, shopping and more mopeds than you can imagine!)

Beaches are nice, but for me, sand is sand is ...

Happy sailing!

How do I find the Bali board?   We shall be overnight in Bali next December  (hopefully). Would love a private  GUIDE. Thanks

How do I find the Bali board?   We shall be overnight in Bali next December  (hopefully). Would love a private  GUIDE. Thanks

Try the “Ports of Call” category. Not sure where Indonesia would be listed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

8 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

There is not a separate Bali board, look in Asia in the Ports of Call.

Leigh

Edited by possum52
  • Like 1