Thoughts on spacious panoramic ocean view cabins

Dan83

Specifically the wedge shaped room on freedom class ships. It appears that it has a little extra square footage. Currently have a balcony booked. Thinking of switching. I enjoy the balcony but really don’t spend a whole lot of time on it. I’m thinking it would be nice to enjoy the view from an air conditioned room instead of sitting/standing out on the balcony. 1864 has opened up and the extra space looks tempting. $500 cheaper to boot. Will I miss the balcony?

We were lucky and sailed this on freedom when she added those cabins about 4 years ago.  I loved that cabin because I could see the ocean go by in the comfort of ac.  Our favorite non suite cabins on freedom class ship.

I am like you and dont use balconies often because of the heat.  Room is a little larger than balcony rooms but loved the views the most.  And with it being $500 cheaper than a balcony is a no brainer IMO.

Edited by frank808

We have one of these rooms booked on Navigator.  This review on the disboards was super helpful when we booked but now the pictures are dead.  But it might still help you since it’s the exact room and there’s a lot of text! 

https://www.disboards.com/threads/stateroom-1864-on-freedom-pictures-and-description.3508561/

we usually stay in balconies but for the price this seemed worth trying! 

1 hour ago, Dan83 said:

Specifically the wedge shaped room on freedom class ships. It appears that it has a little extra square footage. Currently have a balcony booked. Thinking of switching. I enjoy the balcony but really don’t spend a whole lot of time on it. I’m thinking it would be nice to enjoy the view from an air conditioned room instead of sitting/standing out on the balcony. 1864 has opened up and the extra space looks tempting. $500 cheaper to boot. Will I miss the balcony?

We stayed in cabin 1810 on the Freedom and loved it!  And it's not even one of the big ones like you are looking at which would be even better.  It was a great room and looking out the huge windows was amazing.   We were on a back to back with a balcony for the first week and thought that we would miss it the second week, but really did not.   It was so open and bright when the curtains were open.   

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

To the OP, this may give you second thoughts about enjoying the air conditioned room.....

I noticed that. Maybe they were just using the fan for white noise?

I think I’m going to make the switch. One thing I didn’t mention was that I have an aft corner balcony(1700). I’ve had this cabin before and it was great. I’m just a little hesitant to give it up. 

Just now, Dan83 said:

I think I’m going to make the switch. One thing I didn’t mention was that I have an aft corner balcony(1700). I’ve had this cabin before and it was great. I’m just a little hesitant to give it up. 

Talk about extremes!  Back to Front of the ship!   We usually do a mid to aft balcony on deck 6ish...for our cococay cruise we decided that the pool deck was going to be our primary jam so being close to our room would be a perk.   And I figured if I needed to get out of the room for a bit while folks are sleeping it’s  just a short walk to the deck! 

37 minutes ago, Dan83 said:

Oh, come on, Dan!  I was just going to tell you to go for 1864, and now you tell me that you have 1700.

Sheesh.

Ok, here is Mom's advice:

Keep 1700.

Book 1864 next cruise.

You're welcome.

🙂

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Oh, come on, Dan!  I was just going to tell you to go for 1864, and now you tell me that you have 1700.

Sheesh.

Ok, here is Mom's advice:

Keep 1700.

Book 1864 next cruise.

You're welcome.

🙂

This is for freedom next spring. We had 1700 on liberty last month and it was fantastic. Having that extra space is a game changer with the kids. And a fraction of the price of a suite. I think you’re right, I should hang on to 1700.  I’m still so tempted for 1864 though.  Do you have any idea how these two cabins compare on square footage?  I can’t find that information anywhere, they are both non standard in their categories. 

For Nag,.,,,,This is a Panoramic Oceanview Stateroom.

There are 22 of these types of cabins on this ship. The typical cabin size is 191 sqft (18 m2). These types of cabins can sleep up to 4 people. Standard size measures from 191 to 215 square feet. Cabins 1814 and 1864 measures 283 square feet.

19 minutes ago, Dan83 said:

This is for freedom next spring. We had 1700 on liberty last month and it was fantastic. Having that extra space is a game changer with the kids. And a fraction of the price of a suite. I think you’re right, I should hang on to 1700.  I’m still so tempted for 1864 though.  Do you have any idea how these two cabins compare on square footage?  I can’t find that information anywhere, they are both non standard in their categories. 

I can't quote you numbers.

We have had this cabin.  I agree with others who have said, "It's the square footage of a JS for the price of a D."  (before RC fiddled with the cabin category names)

"We" means Mom and two young adult offspring.  

We had PLENTY of room.

Perhaps a Google search will turn up someone else's square footage computations?

2 hours ago, Cel_cruise said:

Talk about extremes!  Back to Front of the ship!   We usually do a mid to aft balcony on deck 6ish...for our cococay cruise we decided that the pool deck was going to be our primary jam so being close to our room would be a perk.   And I figured if I needed to get out of the room for a bit while folks are sleeping it’s  just a short walk to the deck! 

FWIW, those deck 12 forward cabins are right next to Solarium pool. Much easier to get to than deck 6 midship

Edited by John&LaLa

4 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

FWIW, those deck 12 forward cabins are right next to Solarium pool. Much easier to get to than deck 6 midship

As a family group, we have 1812, 1814 and 1816 booked. Is access to the Solarium pool free? (mostly for DH and I) It’s also on a great level for the grandsons’ kids activities.

1 hour ago, snowglobe said:

As a family group, we have 1812, 1814 and 1816 booked. Is access to the Solarium pool free? (mostly for DH and I) It’s also on a great level for the grandsons’ kids activities.

There is no charge for the Solarium.  It is for age 16 and up.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dan83 said:

I noticed that. Maybe they were just using the fan for white noise?

We've had two different Panoramic OV cabins on Navigator and I don't recall any AC problem in keeping the cabin cool in spite of the complete windowed outer wall. 

The one thing I do recall was it took an extremely long time to get hot water in these cabin's bathroom which is to be expected considering the distance away from the hot water source these are.

I tend to be a very early riser so likely was the first to bring the hot water to this area of the ship.

Edited by robtulipe
  • Haha 1

I noticed these new cabins for Freedom next spring. Listed as spacious ocean view. Right where adventure ocean was. I wonder if the walkway will still be outside those windows?  People walking by outside my window doesn’t sound very appealing to me. They do look spacious though. I’d just consider it an inside room and always keep the curtains closed. 

FAF2A790-883E-405E-82E2-15C60F815BDF.png

I had 1864 on Mariner this past May.  It was absolutely awesome!  That particular cabin is about 50% larger then the other Panoramic cabins and it was the same price.  We didn’t miss our usual balcony at all!

Edited by yzfmik
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1