Met and Greet

Mrs f.

I've set up a number of these get togethers, some for more than 100, others for 20-30.

I always spoke to the Concierge to pick the time and space.  Usually it was on the first sea day (if there is one) but they don't want it to conflict with the captain's party.  MOST of the time we've been in Horizons but on our last two cruises -- one on Marina, one on Riviera -- there were a number of alumni groups on board who took priority in Horizons.  On those occasions we were assigned the Sanctuary (Deck 14, port side, just forward of the Sun Deck).  We were around 25-30 people for both of these and I actually came to prefer it to Horizons.  That's because in Horizons people tend to sit at tables for four, and there was less of an inclination (usually) to circulate.  There isn't real seating in the Sanctuary -- it's set up with lounge chairs which aren't conducive to groups sitting!  So people did circulate, and there were plenty of waiters taking drink orders.

• Like 1

As Mura indicates, it is extremely hard to answer your question with such few details. Small details such as class of ship, desired evening, and group size ( which you did supply) has a lot to do with the final answer. Details matter! The more details provided the more accurate answer you’ll get!

Oceania will provide little to no support on the night of the Captain’s reception which typically occurs on Day 2 of the voyage.

On our ATW cruise, we had a CC M&G on the first sea day of each segment.

I will say that unlike NCL, Oceania support for CC is non-existant.  We were entirely on our own, trying to set up a corner of the Horizon Lounge, with no area blocked off to accommodate us. Nor did O provide any officer’s introductions or speeches.

I was told by a very high level Oceania Club member, that the Chairman of the corporation is “not a fan” of CC...

• Like 1

I'm surprised at Bob's comments.  I won't deny that Oceania doesn't support CC Meet&Greets, but I've never had a problem either.  These days they seem to want an email to the concierge prior to the cruise whereas in the past I just met with the concierge on Day #1.  They always have provided space for us and a few nibbles -- nuts, potato chips and the like.

In the early days -- I mean really early, when the yahoo Oceania board still existed -- Oceania would host M&Gs for groups that had at least 35 members.  But CC took away the yahoo people (for many reasons that I won't go into) and that support ultimately disappeared.

But I never had problems setting up a M&G ... then again, I was doing these for a single cruise, not a RTW cruise!

Mura

4 hours ago, Nachosdelux said:

Edited by Mura
Tyring to delete a post that I never sent

17 minutes ago, bob brown said:

I will say that unlike NCL, Oceania support for CC is non-existant.  We were entirely on our own, trying to set up a corner of the Horizon Lounge, with no area blocked off to accommodate us. Nor did O provide any officer’s introductions or speeches.

I was told by a very high level Oceania Club member, that the Chairman of the corporation is “not a fan” of CC...

I am surprised  that they did not  set  up an area for you 

we usually do not have  a problem  they sometimes will rope of  an area in Horizons  with the sign 

Only once did we have a problem the Concierge  said he lost my list with the names & cabin numbers 

Now I just  tell people to show up in Horizons  after muster & let the concierge know  we will be there  so they can have extra waitstff on hand

10 hours ago, bob brown said:

This is totally accurate!

1 hour ago, bob brown said:

Well you certainly had better luck than we did....were you on the Insignia?

well that is interesting

No not on RTW cruise

I did see posts in the RTW thread where people organized the  M & G   gatherings   are you saying these did not happen??

see post #473

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2621045-“live-from”-2019-oceania-insignia-world-cruise-jan-11-july-11/page/19/?tab=comments#comment-56670198

We did have them... but.... they did not block off an area for us.  We (Ryan [Test Pilot], myself, and others got there early, and had to move the seats in a big circle, working around other passengers that were already there, and sometimes explaining to them what we were doing.  Some of them graciously accommodated us by moving elsewhere, others did not. 

There were no barriers, nor signs stating”private event” or CC signs, like you would see on other lines.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bob brown said:

We did have them... but.... they did not block off an area for us.  We (Ryan [Test Pilot], myself, and others got there early, and had to move the seats in a big circle, working around other passengers that were already there, and sometimes explaining to them what we were doing.  Some of them graciously accommodated us by moving elsewhere, others did not. 

There were no barriers, nor signs stating”private event” or CC signs, like you would see on other lines.

Too bad

I have not had any issues  get  the M & G  area  set up  even after muster drill  when I normally schedule it 

as you can see the sign was set up for us

Regatta, Marina & Riviera

My recent cruise on the Marina was the largest Meet & Greet I've ever gone to on Oceania. We had over a hundred on the Roll Call and at least half or more showed up to the M & G. 

Mike Preisman had contacted someone on the ship and they had it all set up for us. He did a great job coordinating it all. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ORV said:

My recent cruise on the Marina was the largest Meet & Greet I've ever gone to on Oceania. We had over a hundred on the Roll Call and at least half or more showed up to the M & G. 

our experience also

we had over 100 at one event

much too big  to meet people  especially when you  have the name tags  LOL

In my humble experience (although still anxiously awaiting to take my first Oceania Cruise in 2020),  Regent (another NCL company) has provided very proactive support to CC M&G's in the past, by providing prior written announcements left in each participant's stateroom,  designating and reserving dedicated meeting spaces for us, having Regent officers in attendance to introduce themselves and "mingle" with the attendees, and even providing light snacks and bar service.  I wonder why there would be such a difference between the two "sister" cruise lines?  

17 hours ago, bob brown said:

Hi Bob,

What you are saying is not the fact..I always set up a meet and greet when I am on board and officers and the CD comes we are usually in Horizon on the small ships and outside the Spa on the big ship..The fact is the Chairman of the board started Oceania and it is his baby..check with Betsy on these facts and tell her Hi from me..and Happy New year to you both!!

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz

2 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

In my humble experience (although still anxiously awaiting to take my first Oceania Cruise in 2020),  Regent (another NCL company) has provided very proactive support to CC M&G's in the past, by providing prior written announcements left in each participant's stateroom,  designating and reserving dedicated meeting spaces for us, having Regent officers in attendance to introduce themselves and "mingle" with the attendees, and even providing light snacks and bar service.  I wonder why there would be such a difference between the two "sister" cruise lines?  

When we have given the Concierge  the list of participants  they do get an invite  with the time & location of the M & G 

Sometimes  they supply snacks same ones for Happy Hour   drinks are not included 

Maybe the RTW cruise was an anomaly

2 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Hi Bob,

What you are saying is not the fact..

I don't think it's appropriate for someone who wasn't on board with us to tell Bob that he's not stating the facts! Everything he's said in this thread is factual even if it never happened on any of your cruises.

Ryan did a great job organizing all the Meet & Greets but O didn't provide an area, staff/officers, or signs. We still met, but as Bob said, sometimes it was difficult with non-CC people all around us, making it hard to tell who was who. Hopefully this won't happen again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My experience since the advent of O Life’s included shore excursions option is that the interest in the M&G among the passengers has gone down enormously (just as roll call participation on this website has deteriorated) although the level of cooperation from O staff onboard (one receives it if one aggressively pushes for it) remains the same.  My best results have come from immediate direct inquiry with the Concierge.

Edited by CintiPam

My experience has been that when I present a list to the Concierge they DO send out invites.  The concierge decides on a time and place, usually early in the cruise.  Once or twice depending on the itinerary that wasn't so easy.

On the last two that I set up (both on "O" ships) we decided it was best to go to the venue right after the boat drill.  In that case, invitations couldn't be sent out but everyone knew the time and place.

We've never needed ship assistance (other than as I've described).  It's certainly unfortunate if things weren't handled as well on the ATW this year, but that certainly hasn't been my experience.

Maybe things are changing ...

Mia,

Actually, I'm not sure!  I don't think I ever got a specific email address to use.  I probably asked my TA to forward the request to the ship.  It does depend, I'm sure, in how far in advance you are trying to contact them.  One approach might be to call Oceania and ask for contact information for the concierge onboard.  Good luck!

On 10/13/2019 at 3:15 PM, Go-Bucks! said:

I don't think it's appropriate for someone who wasn't on board with us to tell Bob that he's not stating the facts! Everything he's said in this thread is factual even if it never happened on any of your cruises.

Ryan did a great job organizing all the Meet & Greets but O didn't provide an area, staff/officers, or signs. We still met, but as Bob said, sometimes it was difficult with non-CC people all around us, making it hard to tell who was who. Hopefully this won't happen again. 

Im sure thes guys are great....but if you ask the right people you get what you want..I do it all the time and have never had a problem on any of the O ships..Check with Betsy, she knows I get it done all the time..Im sure Bob is a wonderful if Betsy married him, but if you dont  know who can do what on the ship..its a problem...

Jan