Noordam - A Passage to New Zealand

richwmn

Today's Schedule

As mentioned above, we are disembarking around 500 passengers and receiving about the same number. It is currently 7:44 in Honolulu and the call for disembarking passengers just came over the loudspeakers. In addition we will be getting new entertainers, at least for the main stage, and the cruise director will be replaced until we arrive in Sydney. Chris is getting some time off to attend the wedding of a friend.

20191019_210537.jpg

20191019_210550.jpg

On 10/14/2019 at 9:37 AM, richwmn said:

Pictures from the Meet and Greet, we had a very good turnout!

20191014_110858.jpg

20191014_110900.jpg

20191014_110907.jpg

20191014_110923.jpg

20191014_114343.jpgDH and I are there! Third photo, sitting at the table. Thanks, Rich! DH, Tom, is also in the last photo. It's a great cruise so far.

• Like 1

These may have been mentioned before, a few observations: no private cabanas on the upper deck and (apparently) new TVs in every cabin. We are in partially obstructed - no other upgrades except motion lights that are near the closet. Helpful when you get up at night. Very few books in the library but lots of new puzzles, never used before. Outstanding entertainment on the World Stage, Tim Kaminski (comedian) and The Alleycats, a do-wop group.

2 hours ago, Iris5383 said:

These may have been mentioned before, a few observations: no private cabanas on the upper deck and (apparently) new TVs in every cabin. We are in partially obstructed - no other upgrades except motion lights that are near the closet. Helpful when you get up at night. Very few books in the library but lots of new puzzles, never used before. Outstanding entertainment on the World Stage, Tim Kaminski (comedian) and The Alleycats, a do-wop group.

Interesting to read of motion activated lights in the cabin.  Wish they'd do more of this sort of thing and a night light in the bath.

Thank you for the stats on disembarking and embarking passengers.  That is a huge number disembarking.  There are not many cruises to Hawaii that will allow disembarking in Hawaii.  Embarking for this cruise in Honolulu would be my preference.  I hope you are enjoying a fabulous visit to Honolulu!!!  Cherie

2 hours ago, 0bnxshs said:

Interesting to read of motion activated lights in the cabin.  Wish they'd do more of this sort of thing and a night light in the bath.

The lights can be seen from under the bathroom for a little while. They go out too soon though.

On 10/19/2019 at 1:34 PM, momilani said:

Had to go downtown for a meeting this morning.  Can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen one of HAL’s wonderful “dam” ships here in port and just wished I was sailing away with her on another adventure.. This time, as I drove ‘round the curve and the Noordam came into view, I was grinning as I know that tomorrow  that wish is coming true!  Back to packing...😀

Me too!  I live in Kakaako and rounded the corner and saw her as well!  We sailed on Oosterdam last summer and will sail Maasdam in February.  

Now, a little bit of catching up.

The Captain of Noordam is currently John Scott from Auckland, New Zealand

The Hotel Director is currently Mark Pells from Canggu, Bali

The Staff Captain is Kevin Van Drongelen from Rotterdam, The Netherlands

The Cruise Director for the first week was Chris Pappas from Canberra, Australia. He will return to the ship in Sydney.

The Cruise Director currently is Ross McTaggart fro Gweru, Zimbabwe

Yesterday in Honolulu Tim Kaminski, Nathan Samuelson, and The Alley Cats departed the ship to be replaced by new entertainment. The schedule lists David Crowe, David Meyer, 1000 Steps, and Ace McDermott with no indication of what type of entertainment they are. I hope they are as good as the first group.

Looking forward to another good day in Lahaina today

• Like 1

Just now, cdistler76 said:

Any pics of the Neptune suites after the redo (if not already posted on this string)?  We are staying in Neptune SC 7086 for an Alaska cruise in May 2020, so hoping these were updated nicely.  Thanks in advance!

That will have to be answered by someone else. I did visit a Neptune Suite (7060 @zelker) and it looked nice but I have nothing to compare it to. My outside cabin looks nice and refreshed, but no major changes. Pictures of my cabin (4084) can be found on Hal Facts

25 minutes ago, cdistler76 said:

Any pics of the Neptune suites after the redo (if not already posted on this string)?  We are staying in Neptune SC 7086 for an Alaska cruise in May 2020, so hoping these were updated nicely.  Thanks in advance!

Looks identical to this except the two pictures on the wall near the bed are different and the two Lounge chairs on the verandah are different and have ottomans:

http://halfacts.com/vista-class/7060-zuiderdam/

Yesterday in Honolulu I took a tour of Education on O'ahu. My hosts were a family I met 5 years ago, @tommui987, his wife and son. We visited a nice local restaurant - Tanaka Saimin and had a wonderful meal, with many new tastes for me. It is family owned and was full during our visit. A very enjoyable meal and a chance to reconnect with a wonderful family I cruised with.

We then went to King Kamehameha School and I got a tour around this large beautiful campus. The campus has a great view of Honolulu.

We then visited Punahou where Lois attended and taught and Eric attended. Another beautiful campus with a huge amount of history overlooking Honolulu. While driving around I asked Eric if the students appreciated the view they have and he admitted that they probably didn't.

The tour was completed by a drive thru University of Hawai'i. This campus is in the city of Honolulu and is impressive. The architecture blends nicely with the rest of the city, and even on a Sunday it was a busy campus.

I thoroughly enjoyed this different tour of Honolulu

20191020_151234.jpg

20191020_151238.jpg

20191020_151742.jpg

20191020_151745.jpg

20191020_151801.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, richwmn said:

Now, a little bit of catching up.

The Captain of Noordam is currently John Scott from Auckland, New Zealand

The Hotel Director is currently Mark Pells from Canggu, Bali

The Staff Captain is Kevin Van Drongelen from Rotterdam, The Netherlands

The Cruise Director for the first week was Chris Pappas from Canberra, Australia. He will return to the ship in Sydney.

The Cruise Director currently is Ross McTaggart fro Gweru, Zimbabwe

Yesterday in Honolulu Tim Kaminski, Nathan Samuelson, and The Alley Cats departed the ship to be replaced by new entertainment. The schedule lists David Crowe, David Meyer, 1000 Steps, and Ace McDermott with no indication of what type of entertainment they are. I hope they are as good as the first group.

Looking forward to another good day in Lahaina today

Rich:

I have travelled with Captain John Scott.

I have sailed with him on the Westerdam and the Eurodam. I have always enjoyed him very much. I bet you will love his noon time reports on sea days.

9 hours ago, Himself said:

Rich:

I have travelled with Captain John Scott.

I have sailed with him on the Westerdam and the Eurodam. I have always enjoyed him very much. I bet you will love his noon time reports on sea days.

I love his reports! Where else can you learn the origin of old sayings, like "beating a dead horse" and "son of a gun"?

• Like 1

Just a quick note, in checking the schedule for tomorrow it is again true. Trivia has been being held in Billboard and starting just before trivia and continuing during the game happy hour prices are in effect. They are calling it Happy 30 Minutes. You don't have to be playing trivia to get the happy hour prices.

6 hours ago, richwmn said:

A few pictures of Lahaina, mostly from around the area where the tender docks, a few from the ship, and two of a beautiful golf course.

IMG_1437.JPG

Love that crazy huge Banyan Tree in the courtyard there Rich.  We were there when they were celebrating its 145th birthday last year on the Westerdam.