Bottled Water

podgeandrodge

I purchased a bottled water package for the upcoming Encore inaugural.  It has disappeared from my online account.  I heard NCL have replaced bottled water with an environmentally friendly option, but that doesn't seem to be there either.  Anyone know how this works out?  Thanks.

Edit - it still shows in my holiday summary.  So just wondering if it will be replaced by the new option.

Edited by podgeandrodge

Just so you are aware, the water you are getting in the NCL branded bottles is "purified water."  It is the same water you are getting out of your bathroom tap, in the bars, in the dining rooms and at the buffet, but in a bottle.  

3 hours ago, gizfish said:

Just so you are aware, the water you are getting in the NCL branded bottles is "purified water."  It is the same water you are getting out of your bathroom tap, in the bars, in the dining rooms and at the buffet, but in a bottle.  

So they've installed bottling plants on the ships?  More likely is that the water is "purified" from some municipality's water system (as is the case with several companies such as Aquafina), then bottled and transported to the terminal for loading on the ship.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zippeedee said:

The new boxed water is SPRING water, not municipal water source (unless they lied in the press release).

Well, if it's spring water then it definitely isn't the same as what comes from the tap in the stateroom as the previous poster suggested..

4 hours ago, gizfish said:

Nope ......

You can always tell by the comments which people are still drinking the toxic water out of their tap at home and hoping that we'll all jump in and affirm their decision not to filter it.

Here's the deal:  Unless you are sending samples of your water to be tested somewhere like the local university extension or lab, you're guessing.  There could be urine coming out of the tap and you'd never know because you're just making things up.

If people want to buy purified water stop trying to shame them in to doing what you do.  It's creepy.

Also, if they're buying water in small containers they can refrigerate it.  If you're drinking straight out of your plumbing system you can't.  So shut it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

You can always tell by the comments which people are still drinking the toxic water out of their tap at home and hoping that we'll all jump in and affirm their decision not to filter it.

Here's the deal:  Unless you are sending samples of your water to be tested somewhere like the local university extension or lab, you're guessing.  There could be urine coming out of the tap and you'd never know because you're just making things up.

If people want to buy purified water stop trying to shame them in to doing what you do.  It's creepy.

Also, if they're buying water in small containers they can refrigerate it.  If you're drinking straight out of your plumbing system you can't.  So shut it.

My refrigerator chills the water and filters it...also offers ICE....so you hush.  Unfortunately, I cannot take my refrigerator on cruises, so I drink BOURBON.  🙂

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

When I spoke of NCL's bottled water, I was speaking only of the bottled water, not box water, and only of the water on the ships, not anyone's home water.  The NCL labeled bottled water is purified water.  It is obviously not bottled on the ship, but is not anything special to pay for, as the ships water is desalinated and actually probably better than the "purified" water.  

From what I have been told, the water on the ships is probably better than most tap water.  But if you are concerned, Brita makes a small water bottle with a charcoal filter.  Fill the bottle and filter the water into any container you wish.  You can also get water from the buffet (some say it's super-filtered, I really don't know) - just don't be that person who holds up the line.  Or you can buy the water for the convenience.

Someone in another thread noted that you can ask your steward for a pitcher of water to be brought to your room in the mornings.  It was noted that this water would have the additional filtering that's thought to be done in the dining rooms and other water dispensers.  You can then fill your bottles from that and not hold up any lines while doing it.  If you ask your steward to fill the ice bucket also, you have ice water to start the day.

1 hour ago, hallux said:

Someone in another thread noted that you can ask your steward for a pitcher of water to be brought to your room in the mornings.  It was noted that this water would have the additional filtering that's thought to be done in the dining rooms and other water dispensers.  You can then fill your bottles from that and not hold up any lines while doing it.  If you ask your steward to fill the ice bucket also, you have ice water to start the day.

I'm pretty sure I know where he will be topping that up from after the first day. 😂

On 10/14/2019 at 1:02 PM, gizfish said:

The bathroom water is not filtered so still tastes like pool water. The water in the bars and dining rooms is carbon filtered and tastes fine to me. We drink only water, coffee and tea so the taste of the water does make a difference to us.

Bottled water is typically filtered to remove chlorine and organic contaminants that can cause cancer, with minerals added to adjust the taste to make it consistent from bottle to bottle. It just tastes better for those of us who can taste the difference.

16 hours ago, gizfish said:

The NCL labeled bottled water is purified water.  It is obviously not bottled on the ship

That's not what you said before

On 10/14/2019 at 4:02 PM, gizfish said:

It is the same water you are getting out of your bathroom tap, in the bars, in the dining rooms and at the buffet, but in a bottle.

I read the second statement to imply that the bottled water comes from the ship's system...

5 hours ago, hallux said:

That's not what you said before

I read the second statement to imply that the bottled water comes from the ship's system...

Sorry you took me literally.  I was not intending to mislead you.  I should have said the water you are getting in your cabin, at the MDR, at the buffet, bars etc., is actually better than the purified water in the NCL branded bottles as it is even more pure due to the desalinization it goes through.  The issue is really a non issue at this point though, as apparently NCL has switched to boxed spring water, and my comments were only about the NCL branded bottled "purified" water.

8 hours ago, gizfish said:

Sorry you took me literally.  I was not intending to mislead you.  I should have said the water you are getting in your cabin, at the MDR, at the buffet, bars etc., is actually better than the purified water in the NCL branded bottles as it is even more pure due to the desalinization it goes through.  The issue is really a non issue at this point though, as apparently NCL has switched to boxed spring water, and my comments were only about the NCL branded bottled "purified" water.

The purified water from Aquafina (and others like Costco) is as good as the ship's water, and much better in terms of organic compounds than city tap water, because it is filtered via reverse osmosis, then carbon filters. Some of the water the ship converts from sea water can be from reverse osmosis, although I understand they usually create distilled water using heat from the engines to create the steam. Distilled water is not as healthy as regular ground water; the lack of minerals in it is thought by some to leech minerals out of your body. And, distillation does not necessarily remove all of the chemicals found in the source water; I think the sea is pretty clean so you're unlikely to have cancer-causing chemicals in the water like you would from something like industrial waste water that is distilled.

Thanks for all the responses, I know a lot more about water than I previously did!

In terms of the purchase of the bottled water package, I wonder will it just be replaced on a 1 for 1 by the new boxed spring water, or will the spring water be deemed better than the previous bottled variety...

On 10/16/2019 at 11:24 PM, podgeandrodge said:

Thanks for all the responses, I know a lot more about water than I previously did!

In terms of the purchase of the bottled water package, I wonder will it just be replaced on a 1 for 1 by the new boxed spring water, or will the spring water be deemed better than the previous bottled variety...

I hadn't heard about the boxed water, but that makes sense in light of the move away from "single use plastics" by many companies.

Looks like NCL is going to be using Just Goods' "JUST Water" starting in 2020. It is spring water that is filtered, then sanitized with both UV light and ozone and packaged in Tetra Top the "water bottle carton". (There's a water quality PDF on that JUST Water site above).

I wonder if NCL will keep the current pricing. JUST Water is about $1.50 a carton for 16 ounces on their website, but Whole Foods said it will carry it at $1 per carton.

2 minutes ago, fshagan said:

Looks like NCL is going to be using Just Goods' "JUST Water" starting in 2020. It is spring water that is filtered, then sanitized with both UV light and ozone and packaged in Tetra Top the "water bottle carton". (There's a water quality PDF on that JUST Water site above).

I wonder if NCL will keep the current pricing. JUST Water is about $1.50 a carton for 16 ounces on their website, but Whole Foods said it will carry it at $1 per carton.

I already purchased my water for March 2020. I wonder what I'll receive...