No more suite amenities i.e. Shampoo, Conditioner, Lotion.

Kentucky816

12 hours ago, scpirate said:

What makes something free? Didn't you have to pay to cruise? it used to be in all cabins not just suites.along with toothbrushes and tooth paste and other toiletries in a basket in the bath room.Carnival is low rent but let's not get any lower.i guess you can bring your own sleeping bag next or a cot.

Those amenities that use to be in your cabin were not supplied by Carnival.  They were there supplied by the manufacturers as advertisement to get you to go out and buy their products after your cruise.  The companies stopped supplying them to cut back on costs.  You rarely see free samples of anything any more.

15 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

Were the toiletries in the non-Spa Suites Elemis?  When I Google images of Carnival Elemis  products, those labels don't look familiar.

ETA: I have never stayed in a Spa Suite, only OS, VS, and GS.

I did notice that the liquid soap and shampoo in the ocean suite shower had ELEMIS on the dispenser.  The small bottles had OCCEAN as a brand.

14 hours ago, scpirate said:

What makes something free? Didn't you have to pay to cruise? it used to be in all cabins not just suites.along with toothbrushes and tooth paste and other toiletries in a basket in the bath room.Carnival is low rent but let's not get any lower.i guess you can bring your own sleeping bag next or a cot.

The switch had nothing to do with cost. The switch was made because of the bottles ending up in with food waste which gets thrown overboard. The same reason you are now getting dissolvable  straws instead of plastic ones.

52 minutes ago, WPTNGirl said:

I did notice that the liquid soap and shampoo in the ocean suite shower had ELEMIS on the dispenser.  The small bottles had OCCEAN as a brand.

Yes!  OCCEAN!  That's it!  The clear tube with the navy blue wave across the top.  In fact, I went digging and found I still have a partial tube of the OCCEAN Body Milk left.  I wasn't sure if it was from a cruise or a hotel.

Thanks!

15 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

Who is cranky?  Yours is the first post on this thread which even comes close to "cranky".  And it's a topic because the OP was considerate enough to make it one.  It is of interest to those of us that book Suites.  As I stated earlier, I, for one, am grateful the OP let us know about it so that we can plan accordingly.  But if this topic is upsetting you so much, you know what to do.

Because there should be a sticky note at the top of all travel sites saying "*WARNING* single-use toiletries may no longer be available. Proceed at your own risk."

For those who need to use a special conditioner, what makes you think the single-use ones provided were the magical solution? This stuff is going away everywhere. Why not just toss up some more chocolate pillow mint discussions too instead of things that actually add to the discussion?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joebucks said:

Because there should be a sticky note at the top of all travel sites saying "*WARNING* single-use toiletries may no longer be available. Proceed at your own risk."

For those who need to use a special conditioner, what makes you think the single-use ones provided were the magical solution? This stuff is going away everywhere. Why not just toss up some more chocolate pillow mint discussions too instead of things that actually add to the discussion?

Are you sure you meant this as a reply to my post?  Nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing in this post of yours has anything to do with anything I have said.  You're coming off as incoherent and belligerent.  The irony of your last sentence is hilarious, though.  So at least there's that. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

It's not a big deal, I'll just start bringing my own travel size bottles of conditioner and lotion.  It's just a little sad.  Even cheap, 2-star hotels provide toiletries. But I have to provide my own when booking a Grand Suite on Carnival.:classic_rolleyes: I'm not upset.  I'm only slightly disappointed.  And I'm not surprised by this cutback in the slightest.

Hotels providing individual sized toiletries is going away too.  Marriott, IHG (Holiday Inn etc) and others have announced in the last few months that they will be going to toiletries in bulk-size dispensers.  

3 hours ago, CdrescherRBL152 said:

The switch had nothing to do with cost. The switch was made because of the bottles ending up in with food waste which gets thrown overboard. The same reason you are now getting dissolvable  straws instead of plastic ones.

Exactly. They did it to help curtail plastic waste. Multiply those tiny bottles times thousands of passengers and all the cruises and that's a lot of trash. Obviously there is still waste generated on cruises but it's great that they are looking at things that they can cut that are easily switched to something more sustainable. You can pack a full size shampoo and conditioner in your carry on to the cruise ship, that's what I plan on doing. [We aren't flying though.] Then whatever is leftover I just bring home and use here. I guess my perspective is different because we only started taking cruises in the past 5 years, so I have no references as to what cruises used to be like, just the current experiences, and everything has been great so far to us. 

Edited by CallistaSkye

7 minutes ago, HerbertandB said:

Hotels providing individual sized toiletries is going away too.  Marriott, IHG (Holiday Inn etc) and others have announced in the last few months that they will be going to toiletries in bulk-size dispensers.  

OK.  DH and DD have been doing a lot of hotel stays lately  while on college tours.  All have been Wyndham properties and all are still giving them out in individual sized bottles.  Maybe they will stop too.  Like I said, not a big deal.  But good to know (for planning and packing purposes) that what was once advertised as a Suite perk by Carnival and always there in every Suite will no longer be included.

• Like 2

On 10/18/2019 at 11:46 AM, Kentucky816 said:

We are currently on the Legend Journey Cruise having a great time.  This is more of and FYI for those expecting these amenities to be in your Suite( OS, GS etc), as they have before.  Our cabin steward has said they are no more on Carnival, only to be given in Spa or Havana suites.  They do have the dispenser on shower wall that has shampoo/ conditioner??!! (Maybe shampoo but most definitely not a combo) and then shower gel.  Kinda shocked that they would do away with them, I wish I knew......I definitely need conditioner.  😕 Sorry if this topic has been discussed, maybe it will help someone else. 

Definitely not a cutback, but a trend to help protect the environment. Many hotels have eliminated disposables and California is banning altogether.

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/travel/california-bans-tiny-toiletries

As the OP, I was doing a PSA not a debate as to the good, bad or whatnot of the toiletries.  I just wanted others to be aware of them not being a part of the Suites anymore.  I brought a full size shampoo but was figuring on there being conditioner as before.  We are on a 15 day cruise and had to fly, so yes all the room we could get in our bags was precious.  Not Diamond or Platinum either....., so no judging, please.  I can tell you this though that on this ship in our room shower gel and shampoo/conditioner are the same color......🧐

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Doing away with individual pats of butter, straws, individual bottles of toiletries is all part of the court settlement they came up with in that environmental case in federal court.  They got hauled into court and reamed out for not knowing exactly how many individual water bottles were used.  They tried to tell the court that with 120,000 employees on multiple ships and in multiple countries that training everyone would take time.  The court was having none of it.  The current judge is retiring, but another like minded, anti cruise, pro environment judge, is taking over the case.  It is going to get worse folks with more and more items taken away to satisfy the court.

8 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Definitely not a cutback, but a trend to help protect the environment. Many hotels have eliminated disposables and California is banning altogether.

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/travel/california-bans-tiny-toiletries

I was about to post the same link. The hospitality industry is one of the biggest producers of garbage from single use plastics. I don’t think CA will be the last state to do this. 
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/shampoo-plastic-bottles-ban-trnd/index.html

Edited by ashirene225

12 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

OK.  DH and DD have been doing a lot of hotel stays lately  while on college tours.  All have been Wyndham properties and all are still giving them out in individual sized bottles.  Maybe they will stop too.  Like I said, not a big deal.  But good to know (for planning and packing purposes) that what was once advertised as a Suite perk by Carnival and always there in every Suite will no longer be included.

I’ve stayed in about 15 different hotels this year...no single brand....I believe all but two still use the individual bottles. The two with dispensers being Aloft and Sheraton Four Points...both in New Orleans.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Why not just toss up some more chocolate pillow mint discussions too instead of things that actually add to the discussion?

Very observant, Shaky Beef. Refreshing these days . . . . LOL

On 10/18/2019 at 12:46 PM, Kentucky816 said:

Our cabin steward has said they are no more on Carnival

Sign of the times I believe.   We just stayed in Washington DC hotel chain, and they have removed all of them from their rooms.  They have shower gel/shampoo dispensers inside the shower unit.   

I believe this post wasn't intended as a complaint as much as it was an FYI for those who may not pack the toiletries that they may need.  I know to pack conditioner as it isn't provided but once I forgot and bought some at the shops on board.  It's always good to know what the ship will have and won't have as it isn't as easy to pop to the nearest CVS like you would on a land based vacation. 

Having said that, I do not prefer the shampoo and shower gel in the regular staterooms so I bring my own.  Not a complaint...just a preference. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I’ve stayed in about 15 different hotels this year...no single brand....I believe all but two still use the individual bottles. The two with dispensers being Aloft and Sheraton Four Points...both in New Orleans.

It's a slow movement for many brands. Generally, I've found that some of the the newly built/renovated hotels tend to have the large dispensers. IHG for example, has announced they will complete their phaseout by 2021, so that would make sense why you see it in some, but not others yet. The single-use plastics are on their way out in a lot of places as everyone jumps on the green bandwagon (an opportunity to save money). It makes sense too because we have such a wasteful society, because "it is nice". I guess talking about this, as some would say has NOTHING and they mean nothing to do with anything discussed here.

2 hours ago, Joebucks said:

It's a slow movement for many brands. Generally, I've found that some of the the newly built/renovated hotels tend to have the large dispensers. IHG for example, has announced they will complete their phaseout by 2021, so that would make sense why you see it in some, but not others yet. The single-use plastics are on their way out in a lot of places as everyone jumps on the green bandwagon (an opportunity to save money). It makes sense too because we have such a wasteful society, because "it is nice". I guess talking about this, as some would say has NOTHING and they mean nothing to do with anything discussed here.

I don’t even think it’s really about going green. I think it’s about saving money. But I don’t think it’s all wasteful either. My family’s church collects hotel soaps and shampoos for the homeless. When my sister taught at a school in a poor neighborhood she used to give them to her students. Sad how excited they were over a bar of soap and a little bottle of shampoo. 

Personally I like the dispensers because they’re convenient. I’m more likely to use body wash and shampoo out of one of those dispensers than I am the little bottles.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint Greg said:

I don’t even think it’s really about going green. I think it’s about saving money. But I don’t think it’s all wasteful. My family’s church collects hotel soaps and shampoos for the homeless.

When my sister taught at a school in a poor neighborhood she used to give them to her students. Sad how excited they were over a

bar of soap and a little bottle of shampoo. 

California (and probably more states will) has banned them. How does that save money? If it wasn't about going green, California would have just put a tax or deposit on them.

1 minute ago, Saint Greg said:

I don’t even think it’s really about going green. I think it’s about saving money. But I don’t think it’s all wasteful. My family’s church collects hotel soaps and shampoos for the homeless.

When my sister taught at a school in a poor neighborhood she used to give them to her students. Sad how excited they were over a

bar of soap and a little bottle of shampoo. 

As does mine. 

"I cried because I had no shoes.....then I saw a man who had no feet." 

And yet many here complain to no end, because of the elimination of bottles of shampoo & conditioner & body lotion that lasts only 2.....maybe 3 showers. SMH

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

California (and probably more states will) has banned them. How does that save money? If it wasn't about going green, California would have just put a tax or deposit on them.

I think in the long run refilling dispensers is cheaper than buying the little bottles. Plus you don’t have people taking them home. California is special. I don’t see that happening in my neck of the woods anytime soon.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I think in the long run refilling dispensers is cheaper than buying the little bottles. Plus you don’t have people taking them home. California is special. I don’t see that happening in my neck of the woods anytime soon.

NY will be next. There will always be deniers of impacts of plastic on the environment but someday maybe the US will step up.

53 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

As does mine. 

"I cried because I had no shoes.....then I saw a man who had no feet." 

And yet many here complain to no end, because of the elimination of bottles of shampoo & conditioner & body lotion that lasts only 2.....maybe 3 showers. SMH

I really dont see that many on this thread are complaining "to no end" about this elimination.  My earlier comment was that after sailing in a suite for eight times, I got used to having the body lotion provided so I have quit packing it.  This last time I did ask for the lotion since I didn't have any.  I will know in November to take my own.  This started as an informative post so those of us that we're used to these things in suites could be prepared to bring our own.  I appreciate the original post.

• Like 4