Just returned from Insignia 10.12.19

bradpole

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

That is  sad

1 hour ago, bradpole said:

True, but thankfully almost everything we tried still tasted great!  

Good to know that almost everything still tasted great but it is also sad that they are cutting back.

I guess it is an inevitable sign of times. I have seen other cutbacks over the years and at some point this just might become one cutback too much for us - time will tell..

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Good to know that almost everything still tasted great but it is also sad that they are cutting back.

I guess it is an inevitable sign of times. I have seen other cutbacks over the years and at some point this just might become one cutback too much for us - time will tell..

I agree

All this  vegan food, poke bowls & other healthy stuff  is not my idea of  a cruise 😉

Now they are cutting back on afternoon tea treats..😱

What next ??

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I agree

All this  vegan food, poke bowls & other healthy stuff  is not my idea of  a cruise 😉

Now they are cutting back on afternoon tea treats..😱

What next ??

Hear Hear, enough is enough. Oceania needs to stop trying to cater to the wants of few and get back to taking care of the many. Who is making these decisions anyway?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just returned from the Insignia, which was our 6th cruise on Oceania.

I really fully agree with the Bradpole's review. It fully reflects our excellent experience on the ship. He really nailed the experience.

In particular, Oceania is to be congratulated on a brilliant refurbishment. They kept what was best of the original decor, and added a contemporary flair. It does not look like a ship that is 20 years old. A matter of taste, but we loved the blues and grays...very appropriate for a ship. With the fresh orchids growing in many places, it was like a small, contemporary Ritz Carlton! And that is high praise.

One event which really stood out was the culinary demo by the Exec chef. The man had a personality to rival Gordon Ramsey! Was highly interactive and entertaining. Also special mention of the enrichment lecturer, Sandy Cares. Dynamic, fun and informative.

One criticism of Oceania is that their restaurant hours are not in sync with time on shore. For example, if one goes touring or to a beach, and returns mid afternoon, the choices are very poor. Lunch in the Terrace closes at 2pm. While Waves is open till 4pm, its selection is primarily meat (hamburgers). The salad bar at Waves is very limited. It would be great if it included  tuna salad, egg salad, or chicken salad, so one could make a sandwich or bagel after the beach. Tea is not a solution, as its mainly carbs and sugar. ( Choice of 4 sandwiches, cakes and scones). On Celebrity, the Ocean Cafe has some selections the whole afternoon.

While on the subject of food, it is noteworthy that the number of choices in the MDR for dinner are very limited, especially if you exclude seafood and pork. Actually, The Terrace has a better selection at night, as delicious chops are always available on the grill.

We had a Penthouse suite, and it had been beautifully redone.

Service at all times was first class.

Would happily book another cruise on any of the Oceania ships.

Edited by Seapoint

10 minutes ago, Seapoint said:

One criticism of Oceania is that their restaurant hours are not in sync with time on shore. For example, if one goes touring or to a beach, and returns mid afternoon, the choices are very poor. Lunch in the Terrace closes at 2pm. While Waves is open till 4pm, its selection is primarily meat (hamburgers).

i am not one for eating in my cabin  but if nothing appealed to me  in WAVES   I would  order room service

Surely there is something on the menu  you would enjoy ?

That tea time on Regatta picture(s) is nothing like the past.

There was, was, usually a main table located in the lounge and food was partially loaded from the table, in part. This table was the instruction point where staff and the manager, huddled for a while to discuss each item. Then the huddle would disperse and move towards service.

If this is not happening now - this is a Major cut back.

Further, people could go up to the table and get their plate loaded up.

I will say my Regatta voyage in October 2018, had frozen almost solid tea sandwiches - said sandwiches were nothing of the quality of the past - bland, cheap white bread with marginal fillings.

None of this is a good sign, and not aligned to the price point being asked by Oceania.

Was your cruise full?  We are on a January/Feb cruise that was to stop at Cuba and, looking at availability,  I anticipate the ship will not be fully booked.  Is it possible that the cutbacks at Afternoon Tea were in line with the anticipated low attendance?  Just a thought...

Great review!

3 hours ago, Seapoint said:

One criticism of Oceania is that their restaurant hours are not in sync with time on shore. For example, if one goes touring or to a beach, and returns mid afternoon, the choices are very poor. Lunch in the Terrace closes at 2pm. While Waves is open till 4pm, its selection is primarily meat (hamburgers). The salad bar at Waves is very limited. It would be great if it included  tuna salad, egg salad, or chicken salad, so one could make a sandwich or bagel after the beach. Tea is not a solution, as its mainly carbs and sugar. ( Choice of 4 sandwiches, cakes and scones). On Celebrity, the Ocean Cafe has some selections the whole afternoon.

We have worked through this problem over the years.  Room service is now our friend.  By 2pm we are already moving towards dinner but not about to give up our "every 3 hours" cruise feeding schedule.  We do like afternoon tea, just not every day.  So what we often do mid-late afternoon is order the international cheese plate or the sliced salmon gravlax off the room service menu.  Open a bottle of red or white and get a head start on happy hour.  (It's 4:30 somewhere!  🍷)   Check it out.  There are also some nice salads, sandwiches and a Mediterranean vegetable frittata that we can recommend.  

It's very civilized and indulgent for me.  I do miss that room service!

KatieBelle, when did you last get that cheese plate?

We are just back from Regatta's first cruise after refurbishment. One day, I was feeling a little peckish, and thought I would enjoy a cheese and cracker type snack. I was very surprised to see a VERY limited selection on the room service menu. It was much smaller than whet I recall seeing on previous cruises. No cheese.

I did phone and ask for some mixed nuts(not on the menu) and they brought 2 small bowls, which was nice. Perhaps I should have seen what would happen if I requested cheese and crackers, but I wanted to make it simple for them.

Maybe the new binder in our cabin was missing some pages.....?

11 minutes ago, tropicalkerry2002 said:

KatieBelle, when did you last get that cheese plate?

We are just back from Regatta's first cruise after refurbishment. One day, I was feeling a little peckish, and thought I would enjoy a cheese and cracker type snack. I was very surprised to see a VERY limited selection on the room service menu. It was much smaller than whet I recall seeing on previous cruises. No cheese.

I did phone and ask for some mixed nuts(not on the menu) and they brought 2 small bowls, which was nice. Perhaps I should have seen what would happen if I requested cheese and crackers, but I wanted to make it simple for them.

Maybe the new binder in our cabin was missing some pages.....?

We last had the international cheese plate in May. It is listed at the top of the page above "club sandwiches" and "burgers".  Ordered it several times.  There were at least 3 cheese offerings and a chutney.  Not a full lunch but we sometimes shared with another couple on our verandah at sail away.  

8 hours ago, ORV said:

Hear Hear, enough is enough. Oceania needs to stop trying to cater to the wants of few and get back to taking care of the many. Who is making these decisions anyway?

Not quite sure if you are being serious but i sort of do agree. It there was a certain budget for food 10 years ago, this now also has to take into account all the vast array of food allergies, intolerances, fads, foibles, likes and dislikes. At what point does it stop?

Edited by drkitkat123
Addition
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ORV said:

I was serious. Trying to cater to way too many things as you said. 

In other words, I reckon they probably spend as much on food and it’s preparation as they did 10 years ago but there are just so much more “diets” to cater for now. Probably no different for all cruise lines. 

Before I continue I thought I'd share this photo I took in Nassau from the bridge leading to Paradise Island (Atlantis).  This was the only reason I got off the ship in Nassau, I wanted to see Insignia lined up against the other ships in port.  In the picture is Insignia, Majesty of the Seas, Disney Dream, and Navigator of the Seas.  889218362_nassaucropped.thumb.png.ea2fb68096f08210dc79d871ea1b84fd.png

• Like 8

18 hours ago, KatieBelle said:

We have worked through this problem over the years.  Room service is now our friend.  By 2pm we are already moving towards dinner but not about to give up our "every 3 hours" cruise feeding schedule.  We do like afternoon tea, just not every day.  So what we often do mid-late afternoon is order the international cheese plate or the sliced salmon gravlax off the room service menu.  Open a bottle of red or white and get a head start on happy hour.  (It's 4:30 somewhere!  🍷)   Check it out.  There are also some nice salads, sandwiches and a Mediterranean vegetable frittata that we can recommend.  

It's very civilized and indulgent for me.  I do miss that room service!

Ordered the cheese plate from room service one night when we missed dinner.  I was really impressed with the terrific selection, quality and presentation.  Also the filet mignonette from room service was outstanding.

21 hours ago, Seapoint said:

While Waves is open till 4pm, its selection is primarily meat (hamburgers). The salad bar at Waves is very limited. It would be great if it included  tuna salad, egg salad, or chicken salad, so one could make a sandwich or bagel after the beach. Tea is not a solution, as its mainly carbs and sugar. ( Choice of 4 sandwiches, cakes and scones). On Celebrity, the Ocean Cafe has some selections the whole afternoon.

Did Waves stop serving the salmon burger, the surf and turf (which many order as double surf, no turf) and I thought they had some kind of veggie burger? Just curious.

Donna

21 hours ago, Seapoint said:

As to grilled orders in Terrace, I've always waited for my steak -- usually I'm ordering a steak!  For any sides I go back to the main line.  It never takes long.  Sometimes I get the sides early.  I used to have DH to that part but with his vision problems that's no longer very feasible, so I do it myself.

Donna, on our last cruise (May 2018) Waves still had the surf&turf (or surf&surf/hold the turf).  I've never looked for veggie burgers so I can't be sure about that.  They do have quite a few variations of the burgers, as well as other courses, so chances could be good that these days a veggie burger is possible.

Mura

• Like 1

Waves menu:

BURGERS

Classic

Swiss

Texan

Wagyu

Maguro

Alaskan

Veggie

SANDWICHES

Grilled Panini

Cuban

Reuben

Surf & Turf

HOT DOGS

Classic

Mexican

ENTREES

Mahi Mahi

Salmon

Cajun Chicken

SALAD Bar ...very limited and basic.

MISSING

Chicken salad

Tuna Salad

Egg salad

Grilled Chicken sandwich.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Seapoint said:

MISSING

Chicken salad

Tuna Salad

Egg salad

Grilled Chicken sandwich.

I do not recall  them offering any of those items before   or is this  just something on your wish list ?? 

These are items which are missing from the menu and would be appropriate in my opinion on the Waves menu, and would give an alternative to a heavy entree, or hamburgers/hotdogs. They would help compensate for the afternoon "gap" problem caused by The Terrace closing at 2pm. On Celebrity, there are always good alternatives offered at the Ocean View Cafe throughout the afternoon..

To answer another question, at night The Terrace offers a similar menu to the MDR menu for that night, but with additional items specially prepared to order on the grill. It is a good alternative to the MDR at night.

Edited by Seapoint

2 minutes ago, Seapoint said:

These are items which are missing from the menu and would be appropriate in my opinion on the Waves menu, and would give an alternative to a heavy entree, or hamburgers/hotdogs. They would help compensate for the afternoon "gap" problem caused by The Terrace closing at 2pm. On Celebrity, there are always good alternatives offered at the Ocean Cafe throughout the afternoon..

To answer another question, at night The Terrace offers a similar menu to the MDR menu for that night, but with additional items specially prepared to order on the grill. It is a good alternative to the MDR at night.

You could always make a suggestion  in the comment cards  for extra things  at Waves

I thought they did have a chicken sandwich ??

Yes  for those that like a quick in/out meal the Terrace  is fine  ..not my personal choice  though for dinner

YMMV