60$ a day pre authorization on credit card?

Judyrem

On 11/2/2019 at 2:37 PM, pcur said:

Thank you for this additional information! 

I was freaking out about what the credit card hold would be for the two of us for a 24 night cruise, and just about ready to change the card to one we never use, when you posted this about cruises over 20 days.

Re read the post you quoted.  The reduced hold is for cruises longer than 25 days, not 20 days as you mention!

We are now into the semantics of how many days in a 24 night cruise!

44 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Re read the post you quoted.  The reduced hold is for cruises longer than 25 days, not 20 days as you mention!

I have not experienced the lowered rate.  I don't recall my spring cruise as it was only 12 days but I do remember in 2017 for my 42 day VOV that the hold was close to $5000, sort of freaked me out at first.  Thank goodness it was on a little used credit card who I had warned of the impending hold.

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

Thank you for pointing that out to me:  I'll change to the unused card.  Not appreciative of the sarcasm and exclamation points, though.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

HAL counts nights for HSC etc, so to me 24 nights is a 24 day cruise.

Just now, VMax1700 said:

??? sarcasm ???

I didn't see it as sarcasm ...

40 minutes ago, catl331 said:

HAL counts nights for HSC etc, so to me 24 nights is a 24 day cruise.

I didn't see it as sarcasm ...

I read "20" instead of "24" for some reason.  Scanning posts too fast.

I was taught that if you respond to someone's mistake by pointing out the obvious and trying to be humorous, it's a form of sarcasm, and it's unnecessary at the least.  Exclamation points add to the emphasis.  We all need to be aware that written communication does not carry the inflection the spoken word does. 

Like this:  🙂  = no harm/no foul.

The credit card we will use has enough of a credit limit to cover our "hold" for the 24 night cruise, and our expected charges during the trip.  I always take the unused one for emergencies when we travel, anyway, so it will be on hand, too.

Edited by pcur

Just now, pcur said:

and trying to be humorous,

I don't think he meant it as humorous either ... just saying that some people would argue that a 24 night cruise is 25 days because you are on board for part of embarkation and debarkation days.

Edited by catl331
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, catl331 said:

I don't think he meant it as humorous either ... just saying that some people would argue that a 24 night cruise is 25 days because you are on board for part of embarkation and debarkation days.

Thank you @catl331!

As far as I am aware HAL sell their cruises by 'Days'.  7 Day, 14 Day, 21 Day etc, and do not mention 'Nights'.  My implied suggestion was that if the poster was cruising for "24 nights" it may be possible to negotiate the lower rate, even though it falls outside the "longer than 25 Days" rule.

For anyone who prefers, they may put down  the amount of  cash of what would be the 'hold'    If you reach a point during the cruise    where you have used up the whole deposit, you would be asked  to deposit more cash, stop charging, or provide a credit card and they likely would put the hold for the remaining   number of days of the cruise.

On 10/31/2019 at 12:56 PM, Judyrem said:

From my bank?  

I have never encountered that before on a cruise ship.

It's my sister in law that was concerned.   

Thanks all who responded.

You may not have  been aware when another cruise line put the same sort of hold on your credit card,  Just about every hotel / cruise line and such  does the  same.  While they do not put a sign in  the lobby, it is very common practice and most who travel  often have an awareness of this necessary practice.  If you wish to charge things such as food, drinks etc.   in the hotel  to  your room. that is how they protect themselves to b sure you will  settle your obligation.

17 hours ago, TAD2005 said:

In all the HAL cruises we have been on since 2014,  the credit card hold ($60 per day, per person or $30 per day, per person on cruises over 25 days),  usually hits our card the day after sailing.   Checking our card account later in the cruise, the hold has dropped off the card by day 5 or 6.   And this is on a range of cards like Visa, Capital One and Discover.   Our cruises are usually 24 days and longer, so this may have an effect on the length of the hold.   We always have the SBP, either purchased or through a promotion, so our onboard spending is just HSC and internet.   

Nothing bought in  the 'shops on board'?  No bingo?  prepaid excursions or -  on you r own in ports?  No Pinnacle,  Caneletto   etc ?

image.png.08561d1dc66be61e0608c6f35e84d742.png

4 hours ago, catl331 said:

I found nothing sarcastic or an   attempt at humor in that post. (nothing offensive, IMO )

image.png.9c8557482473de4335de83027f6287f3.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Edited by sail7seas

It's an absurd hold when you have a quad with kids.  They still require $60 per person, even for young kids.  I was recently on a 10 day on the Koningsdam and they wanted a $2400 authorization, even when I had already prepaid excursions, specialty dining, drink packages, and $1000 in cabin credit.   I refused and deposited cash along the way if needed.  About $200.  Sorry, but my kids are not going to spend $1200 on soft drinks.  Some common sense needs to prevail for people who have prepaid most of their ship board expenses, and especially those with kids.  Princess and Celebrity do not require this steep of a hold.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sail7seas said:

Nothing bought in  the 'shops on board'?  No bingo?  prepaid excursions or -  on you r own in ports?  No Pinnacle,  Caneletto   etc ?

image.png.08561d1dc66be61e0608c6f35e84d742.png

Sure, I  buy PG dinners, but at a 50% discount, my shore excursions are mostly DIY or private, never play bingo, and our OBC from HAL and TA covers most of that spending.   I always prepay the big stuff, like the SBP or any shore excursions that I can't find privately.  

5 hours ago, jmkennett said:

It's an absurd hold when you have a quad with kids.  They still require $60 per person, even for young kids.  I was recently on a 10 day on the Koningsdam and they wanted a $2400 authorization, even when I had already prepaid excursions, specialty dining, drink packages, and $1000 in cabin credit.   I refused and deposited cash along the way if needed.  About $200.  Sorry, but my kids are not going to spend $1200 on soft drinks.  Some common sense needs to prevail for people who have prepaid most of their ship board expenses, and especially those with kids.  Princess and Celebrity do not require this steep of a hold.  

Actually, assuming your children are minors (on HAL), you can get that hold removed.  Their cards simply don’t work for ANYTHING.  Buy them whatever beverage card is a appropriate (Quench, coke, soda, etc.) and they have that and can’t charge to the room.