Parking near San Pedro pier in LA?

MomC

Do any of you have recommendations for parking one’s car near San Pedro pier when going on a cruise from LA?  Also, the daily charge?

Thank you in advance.  Your recommendations are always helpful!

Mom C

They have parking onsite at the pier or if you are staying the prior night at a hotel several of them offer "Park and Sail" packages.  We recently stayed at Crowne Plaza under the Park and Sail and it saved us about $20 vs parking at the pier.  Either works fairly simply. Enjoy your cruise!

We stay at the DoubleTree before the cruise.

If your cruise is 7 days, parking at the pier is $128. Plus, once the exit gets a little traffic it's a PITA to get out of the parking lot.

DoubleTree has shuttle the whisks you back to the hotel, no parking lot kerfuffle.

The DT park n' cruise is for the length of your cruise. Our longest cruise (so far) was 43 days. One night at the hotel, a relaxing breakfast, 43 days on a cruise ship, hop in the car and drive home. Cost: $254 with taxes. Pier parking would have cost $774.

The Crowne Plaza has a park/cruise package, but IIRC it's only good for 10 days, after that there's a daily charge. Also, their parking garage was extremely disorganized. the one time we stayed there. There is a valet service. We waited an hour with no sign of the valet. DH went down to the garage and was able to get our car. We left, never to return. There were other issues that we had problems with and already knew we'd never go back before the "valet" service sealed the deal.

13 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

On-site parking is $18 per day,

There is a package of one hotel night plus parking for the cruise nearby, with shuttle to and from the pier, but I don’t have the current numbers.

Price is now $19 a day. We paid $133 last Saturday when we disembarked the Royal Princess on a 7 night cruise. 

• Like 1

The Sunrise Hotel is adjacent to the pier and across the street from some great resturants. The phone number is ‭+1 (310) 548-1080‬.. They offer Stay and Park and we hack done this for 23 of our cruises.  Other cruises we sailed out of San Francisco our home port. They also serve breakfast too.  We always ask for a room that faces the Chanel so we can watch our ship sail in in the morning. One time however our ship did not sail in which was very concerning.  Eventually it showed up at noon and we were not able to board until 5:00pm. That is a whole new story to tell as this cruise is one that everyone on board will never forget.  SAD!

• Haha 1

I'll add that parking at the pier (and I can confirm the $19 price has been in effect for some weeks) really couldn't be easier.  The closest spaces are literally across the street from the baggage drop, I've had porters meet me in the cross walk to take checked bags.  

Less positively I'll say the lot is marginally paved which is to say it was paved at some point long ago.  There are a few potholes here and there and it is covered with quite a lot of loose gravel both of these can make it a challenge for anyone with mobility difficulties - these folks would be best advised to be dropped off at the curb and met by more able bodied travel companions after parking the car.

The local hotel park and cruise options are also good for those coming in from out of town.  I'll note that the "free" parking comes only with an elevated room rate (meaning the same room booked without parking is far less).  Whether this represents a value or not has everything to do with the rate available when you book and the length of your cruise.  We're booked at the Doubletree for our 19 nighter next spring - it's clearly cheaper  than paying for pier parking.  For shorter cruises, we've done better staying elsewhere the night before and paying for on pier parking.  As said, this has everything to do with length and room rate.

We've done it both ways, one night stay at Doubletree with parking for full length of cruise and parking at the pier.

I'd say it depends on the length of the cruise.  For us, on a 7-nighter we prefer to park at the pier BUT, last Saturday upon disembarkation from the Royal, the porter that met us to help us with bags (DH is mobility impaired and uses scooter) dropped everything at the curb while I got the car and then disappeared and didn't help us put suitcases and mobility scooter into car.  Luckly for us,  a nearby good samaritan who saw how distressed I was, jumped right in and loaded the suitcases and another man  helped him fold and lift the scooter into the car.

I don't know what I would have done without the good samaritans standing by.  When we are at the hotel, we always get help from the shuttle drivers.

It seems that San Pedro raises their daily rate by a dollar a day every 6 months to a year.  Mid October was $19 as others have pointed out. Look for $20 before long.

Since we ride-shared (parking-cost shared) this last trip, we made a loop all the way around the outer rim of the parking lot and dropped off our passenger's and OUR suitcases right at the entrance - I lingered long enough to get my bags loaded onto a cart (with our usual $5 per bag tip) and then joined my DW --(dear wife, or driver-wife) to start around a second time and enter the lot and park the car, We only had to wheel our carry-on though the lot from our parking space.  Much better than dragging the big suitcases too.

9 hours ago, victory2020 said:

I'm glad this post was here. I learned something about the Doubletree I did not know.

In 2018 there was a group of around 20 who drove in and used the Doubletree for a 60 night cruise. All were happy and did a M&G dinner night before the cruise.

We are close enough to get a ride to the port, but most of the time we park at the terminal for a 7 night round trip cruise.